Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1963 Ragtop Project
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
D63RAGTOP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Ragtop Project Reply with quote

Envious wrote:
Congrats on the purchase. It looks like a good foundation.
My $0.02.....

1) Bag, tag, and document everything you disassemble. Organisation is key when it comes to reassembly. I save digital photos of assemblies and match the file name to numbers on the boxes and bags of parts so I can find them later.

2) Save everything until you're done with the build. Aftermarket parts suck. Plain and simple. For the most part, they can't hold a candle to the original German stuff. You're better off restoring the original rather than buying new; even if it costs the same or a little more.

3) Cry once. If you do buy aftermarket, spend the money to buy from decent suppliers. Wolfsburg West, Berg, Airkewld, and Gerson cost a little more than places like CIP1 but the quality is significantly better. The cheap usually come out more expensive in the end when the parts don't fit or they fail prematurely.

4) Get yourself a wire wheel on a stand. It's great for cleaning hardware and small parts. Replacing hardware will nickel and dime you to death.

5) Stock motor. Unless you're going to have somebody else build it for you or you've built big motors before, rebuild your stock motor just to get you on the road. There are lots of videos and tutorials that walk you through the process with great results (the Bug Me series comes to mind). Since it's stock, factory manuals and tutorials can offer all of the torque settings and tolerances you'll need. As soon as you deviate from stock, variables that weren't considered by a novice can affect the outcome and lifespan of the motor. You can always build something hotter afterwards and swap it for stock. If you do go stock, consider a company like Volkbitz to fully and properly rebuild the carb. A lot of people 'rebuild' their own carbs with gasket kit but worn out bushings can cause problems. Tim at Volksbitz takes care of it all. Also consider a guy like Glenn Ring to rebuild your stock distributor for optimum performance.

6) Lastly, I always have my transmissions rebuilt before reassembly. I've been burnt a couple of times by discovering a bad gear box after the fresh motor was installed. Pulling a swing axle trans sucks. Might as well just do it before the motor goes back in the hole to save the grief.

Have fun. Good luck.

Thanks for the info! I'll look into the people you have recommended. I have decided to go for everything stock for now. Like you said I can go bigger and better later, right now I just want to get it back on the road.
D63RAGTOP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Ragtop Project Reply with quote

Quote:
Tim at Volksbitz takes care of it all. Also consider a guy like Glenn Ring to rebuild your stock distributor for optimum performance.

How can i get in touch with these gentlemen?
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Ragtop Project Reply with quote

D63RAGTOP wrote:
Quote:
Tim at Volksbitz takes care of it all. Also consider a guy like Glenn Ring to rebuild your stock distributor for optimum performance.

Do a search of either/or the forums or classifieds on this website.
Envious
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Ragtop Project Reply with quote

D63RAGTOP wrote:
Quote:

[email protected] for distributor rebuilds

http://www.volkzbitz.com/ for carb rebuild
64 Type 361 L575 Nutria
64 Porsche 356c
56 Type 113 L227 Strato Silver
52 BSA C11G
59 Heilite Single Wheel Camping Trailer
56 Allstate Single Wheel
84 Vanagon Westfalia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=388225
D63RAGTOP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Ragtop Project Reply with quote

Quote:
[email protected] for distributor rebuilds

http://www.volkzbitz.com/ for carb rebuild

Thank you Envious
D63RAGTOP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Ragtop Project Reply with quote

I just looked into those BUG ME videos. A little pricey Shocked! But I think I might pull the trigger and buy a couple of the volumes.

I think it would be a great experience (and story) for both my nephew and me to rebuild most of the vdub ourselves.
Envious
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:06 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 Ragtop Project Reply with quote

D63RAGTOP wrote:
I just looked into those BUG ME videos. A little pricey Shocked! But I think I might pull the trigger and buy a couple of the volumes.

I think it would be a great experience (and story) for both my nephew and me to rebuild most of the vdub ourselves.

The engine rebuild video is really informative for a first timer doing a stock rebuild. It will walk you through the entire process virtually in real time.
64 Type 361 L575 Nutria
64 Porsche 356c
56 Type 113 L227 Strato Silver
52 BSA C11G
59 Heilite Single Wheel Camping Trailer
56 Allstate Single Wheel
84 Vanagon Westfalia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=388225
D63RAGTOP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Ragtop Project Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Any info you can give me about the motor?

Im 90% sure its the original motor. My uncle bought it in 71 from the original owner. I know for a fact my uncle never swapped out the motor.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Ragtop Project Reply with quote

NOV64 so a 65 model engine that would have been a 40 HP 1200 cc.
D63RAGTOP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Ragtop Project Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:

So its not the original engine Embarassed
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Ragtop Project Reply with quote

D63RAGTOP wrote:
Thanks for thee advice.

Silly question but do all VWs say made in german on the tag?

The VIN is 5444638

And how can you tell if its a deluxe bug?

What is the VIN number under the rear seat bottom??
TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Ragtop Project Reply with quote

D63RAGTOP wrote:
Eric&Barb wrote:

So its not the original engine Embarassed

Don't feel bad, it happens all the time. I helped an elderly lady by installing a new 1600 in her '71. She bought it used off a small car lot in 72 and did all her own oil changes since Shocked

The insulation tar boards got sucked into the fan and toasted the engine at 152,000 documented miles. Even then I thought, yeah whatever..... She was right and it was a joy to do the engine swap. It really never ever was removed and had VW logos on the original clutch disc that was all the way to the metal. Not one single PO hack.

It's super rare for a Beetle to have its original engine, let alone original and never removed since new.

They're never really ever finished 58 rag build...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=658092
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
D63RAGTOP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Ragtop Project Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
D63RAGTOP wrote:
Thanks for thee advice.

Silly question but do all VWs say made in german on the tag?

The VIN is 5444638

And how can you tell if its a deluxe bug?

What is the VIN number under the rear seat bottom??

Ill take a look tonight
D63RAGTOP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Ragtop Project Reply with quote

So I looked at the number on the pan and it does match the number on the body.

I also found the original color of the car. Its like a dark green, anyone know the name of it? Ill try to take a pic tonight.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Ragtop Project Reply with quote

Problem is the VIN would be early APR63 so well thru halfway of the 63 model year.

You can see the VIN/chassi numbers here:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/bugchassisdating.php

You can access the "literature" section thru the "Archives" button at upper right of this website. Scroll down thru the "Type 1 Brochures 1938-67" to the 1963 model section. Ignore any from Australia. Top of that section has the "Beetle Colors" for 62/63. No dark green colors though for that year, so more than likely a later repaint.
D63RAGTOP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Ragtop Project Reply with quote

Small Update.

Finally got some time to work on the VW. Put a fresh battery in and fixed some dry rot wires and what do you know, the motor to turn over. YAY! I also changed the oil and bought some new spark plugs and plug wires. I took a look inside the gas tank (full of rust Sad ) so I went ahead and ordered a new gas tank, fuel lines, and fuel filter.

I also went ahead and ordered a birth certificate, curious to see what info I get back.
clarkster75
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Ragtop Project Reply with quote

Congrats. A few things you might want to look into are:
A Bentley "original" repair manual, and the Muir repair manual, those two will take you a long way. The Bentley guide even has a section for the sunroof. Be warned the Bentley guide for the 61-65 is going to set you back some dough ...approx $100 but it is about 3 inches thick.
Find your local club. Lots of free advice and parts asst.
The Samba has a color list buried in here somewhere for you to find the green name/match.
Get the latest Hot VW for all the prices on parts, and for the distributor, a quick easy fix would be the 009. Having yours rebuilt is cool, but it would run you some dough compared to an 009 which is low maintenance.
Agreed, look around for "dustless blasting" or watch on U tube, easy on the car and takes it down to clean steel.
P.S. most 40hp can be rebuilt, over and over, and not so for the 1600's due to how many align/bore jobs they have had, but 1600 is super easy to source parts for... me, I like the 40hp, but i am over 40yrs old...
If you are going to do a lot of the work yourself, check out Eastwood.. plenty of paint, undercoating, etc and a pretty fair website regarding welding, etc.
I have work to do on my 63, and good to hear one more is being restored. Keep up the good work
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: