Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

#5 cylinder head mounting stud broken, Passenger side
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Snort
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: #5 cylinder head mounting stud broken, Passenger side Reply with quote

As a general rule I don't recall any torque values for VW engine studs. Simply thread them in until the last thread is gone, or until it is snug. When you torque the nut the same torque force will be applied to the stud end inside the case.
atmvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: #5 cylinder head mounting stud broken, Passenger side Reply with quote

Thanks. I have another question. I found a small sensor under my breather/air distributer that I have identified as my Engine Crankshaft Position Sensor. This thing has a wire coming out the back, but, as far as I know, has never been connected to anything. What does the wire connect to? Does it connect to anything?
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: #5 cylinder head mounting stud broken, Passenger side Reply with quote

Neither the 1.9 nor the 2.1 WBX engines have an "Engine Crankshaft Position Sensor". What year is your van and what engine does it have? Can you post a pic of the item you are referring to?
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: #5 cylinder head mounting stud broken, Passenger side Reply with quote

It is the top dead center sensor.. Not used and fine to cut.
ajdenette
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: #5 cylinder head mounting stud broken, Passenger side Reply with quote

The sensor you found is a VW diagnostic sensor that is now useless and does not connect to anything and can be tucked out of the way or removed and the hole plugged.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=732777
1990 Vanagon Syncro Base awaiting body work
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
atmvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: #5 cylinder head mounting stud broken, Passenger side Reply with quote

Thanks! Good to know. Finally got the van put together and she started great. Then found three exhaust connections I had forgotten I loosened, so I tightened them. Found two more small connections to hook up and she restated fine. So I put some coolant in and realized I forgot to put the drain plug back in the head. (Actually, I'm blaming my helper for this one. He drained it for me while I was disconnecting the top side. I assumed he put the plug back in.) So I had to shut her down again. Once everything was checked over again, I restarted her again. That makes the fourth start. Started up on the first try every time. Then I puled her down from the ramps and pulled up to the corner to pull a u-turn (I live on the corner) and she started to idle erratically. I pulled into the parking across the street. The rpm went really high, then really low a couple times, then died. I restarted and it did exactly the same thing. Then it wouldn't restart. That was last night and she still won't start. I haven't regularly worked on a car engine in 20+ years, and that was a 289 Ford. I don't know how to trouble shoot a system I don't really know-but I want to get to know it.
Anyway, any suggestions? Right now I can't afford a mechanic. Here you are looking at $200+ just to pull it in to the shop. Thanks!
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: #5 cylinder head mounting stud broken, Passenger side Reply with quote

I would look for a large intake leak. Check for any hoses that might have popped off and ensure the intake boot does not have a crack in one of the bellows. The fact that it was running fine at first would indicate something changed. Perhaps like the coolant drain, something else was missed. Good luck.
atmvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: #5 cylinder head mounting stud broken, Passenger side Reply with quote

Couldn't find any unconnected hoses and no obvious leaks. Going to replace the boots and clamps on the intakes. Also a couple other questionable hoses. Then work up from there. It'll start and run if you feather the idle just right. But you can't drive it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: