Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wiring an externally regulated alternator
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Utiledulci
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 9:05 pm    Post subject: Wiring an externally regulated alternator Reply with quote

Still have my regulator...will an externally regulated alternator wire right up to it? What's the gig?
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

If you are asking if you can use your stock regulator with an aftermarket externaly regulated alternator, the answer is no
bill may
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

can you use generater regulater with external reg alternater? NO- do you bypass /remove regulater to install internal reg alternater? YES..

1965 panel bus-Kermit
"Camping is cheaper than therapy"
www.sv2s.com
www.steeringboxscrapers.net
SBS #100
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=453617
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Utiledulci
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 6:20 am    Post subject: Wiring an externally regulated alternator Reply with quote

Ok, so you answered one question, that is "no" to using my regulator. Can anyone answer the more important question of how do I wire it up then? I saw the info from "Speedy Jim" and the wiring diagram but it does me no good if I don't know what type of regulator to use. Hello? I know its not rocket science. It's an old VW.
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring an externally regulated alternator Reply with quote

aenonauto wrote:
Ok, so you answered one question, that is "no" to using my regulator. Can anyone answer the more important question of how do I wire it up then? I saw the info from "Speedy Jim" and the wiring diagram but it does me no good if I don't know what type of regulator to use. Hello? I know its not rocket science. It's an old VW.

It is rocket science when you get into electronic voltage regulators.
What is tha actual alternator that you have?? Can you get us a picture?

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Utiledulci
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:20 am    Post subject: Alternator Reply with quote

I can't figure out how to post a pic on this page...I'll put one in the Gallery under Microbuses...
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here it is, straight off the Samba.
Part you want is in the lower left corner.

Go to the technical section under wiring, Type 1, 74 up with external regulator.

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sloans265
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why did you even decide to use that outdated unit, with out having figured wiring part out first? Even after you get the wiring problem solved you still have to get a reg. I've heard those are getting harder to find(I could be wrong). Do yourself a favor and either put back on the Generator that went with the reg you got or get yourself a AL82N. Internally regulated NEW Bosch alt. If $ is an issue go to any auto chain and order one of their rebuilt AL82X (bosch #).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Utiledulci
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:43 am    Post subject: Alternator Reply with quote

This unit just happened to come with the motor I just picked up, thought I'd use it but it looks like its not feasible. Just gonna go with my old generator for now to get back on the road. Thanks for your help.
sloans265
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THat would be your best bet. I just found the reg you need for that alt. Bosch # 0 190 600 017. $67 at CIP1. Kind of high considering for @ $40 more you could get a new internally reg. alt. Save yourself any grief and run that gen. Wink
bill may
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring an externally regulated alternator Reply with quote

aenonauto wrote:
Hello? I know its not rocket science. It's an old VW.

im a school janitor,and i figured out you need a 73/74 voltage regulater for an alternater.

1965 panel bus-Kermit
"Camping is cheaper than therapy"
www.sv2s.com
www.steeringboxscrapers.net
SBS #100
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=453617
roberto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is what everyone is trying to say, is that the reg is specific to those motorola alt's. no ifs, ands, or buts.

and your best bet would be to move on to a newer internally regulated unit. other wise go back to a genny/reg set up.
ollie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here you go...

hsimpson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is this alternator internal or external regulated?
sloans265
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hsimpson wrote:
is this alternator internal or external regulated?

That one in the pic is externally regulated. See the 1 large post(wire to battery) and the the 3 prong connector (going to reg) An internally regulated would just have 2 conections. One to the battery (post) and one for the warning light (male spade terminal)
Scorcho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring an externally regulated alternator Reply with quote

Trying to wire my internally regulated generator right now and these are the cables I have on my regulator. I've been reading about blue to green but I don't have a green wire. Can anyone help me by telling me which wires join together?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring an externally regulated alternator Reply with quote

Do you mean internally regulated alternator? If so then connect red to the big post and blue to the small spade.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Scorcho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring an externally regulated alternator Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Do you mean internally regulated alternator? If so then connect red to the big post and blue to the small spade.

Yes alternator. Still used to having a generator obviously haha. So I don't need the wires that are connected to the D+ and DF? Just need to extend the red and blue one?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring an externally regulated alternator Reply with quote

Scorcho wrote:
busdaddy wrote:

Yes alternator. Still used to having a generator obviously haha. So I don't need the wires that are connected to the D+ and DF? Just need to extend the red and blue one?

Yep, you can ditch the old regulator too, unless it's used as a terminal block to connect the battery to the rest of the bus.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Scorcho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring an externally regulated alternator Reply with quote

Wow that's actually pretty simple thanks!!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: