Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Best VW to take on a cruise?
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
coonhunter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:32 am    Post subject: Best VW to take on a cruise? Reply with quote

So I got to go on my first VW cruise last weekend. While going down the road, I couldn't help but think what might be the best vw for cruising / road trips? (all water-cooled excluded). I would think that a van would be the clear choice, just because of the extra space for all the stuff that you may bring along, but a square back would give you a lot of space and might handle cross winds better.

For me, I have the choice of a 73 thing or 68 baja, typically I will chose the one of the two that is actually running. If the stars align and I actually have both running at the same time, it would be a hard decision, the thing has much more room for my kids, but the baja is much quieter and less windy. I am really thinking hard about getting rid of the thing and building a german look super beetle, which I think would work good going down the highway.

I know that there is no one answer for this, so maybe it will generate some good discussion.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Best VW to take on a cruise? Reply with quote

Schwimmwagen, it's the only one designed to float.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
coonhunter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Best VW to take on a cruise? Reply with quote

You got me there...
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Best VW to take on a cruise? Reply with quote

LOL, the Thing is horrible aerodynamically, the baja would be a bit better. It all depends on what kind of "cruising" you plan on. At a beach/lake the Thing would be fun. Trails & fire roads the baja or bus would be great. Squarebacks are great all around too but a bit better suited for highway.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Best VW to take on a cruise? Reply with quote

Probably the fastback but nothing wrong with an old bug nice and stable with big tires in the back that gear it up. A bus but only if it has good steering mine wears me out!
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Best VW to take on a cruise? Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Schwimmwagen, it's the only one designed to float.
crap you beat me to it.... but for on the road for me....it's mine. Wink
the thingamajigy could have a aero nose made for it Shocked .....

I wish my bug was a lot softer riding...I got some oil filled shocks a few weeks ago and replaced the kgb grrtoo's.....I cant tell any diff. I need to remove the top set of springs in the beam & see how it is.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Best VW to take on a cruise? Reply with quote

You really need to define "Cruise." Around here, that means 30 miles or so. If you are talking 300, the Thing will send you to divorce court. Yes, any Type 3 or 4 is a great, comfortable car- and capable of passing/hills. Buses are great road machines too, but you need to sell 8 Things and 12 Bajas to build one.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
tirekicker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Best VW to take on a cruise? Reply with quote

The one with most gas in the tank.

(16:45:42) Russ_Wolfe: TK, you are like a Maytag washer
(16:46:44) tirekicker: and what's a maytag washer?
(16:47:35) Russ_Wolfe: If you are not agitating, you are not working right
coonhunter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Best VW to take on a cruise? Reply with quote

A cruise can be anything from a 100 mile trip to the next town to grab a burger and turn around, or a multi day trip. All with my wife and two kids.

The baja was nice on the last trip because I can put the thermador car cooler in it and drive with all the windows other than the vents closed and stay comfortable.
1961bluebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:20 am    Post subject: Re: Best VW to take on a cruise? Reply with quote

after toying with aircooled VW is previous 20years, now I consider my ´61 stock beetle an ultimate cruiser. Overhauled 40HP engine enlarged to 1385cc, pointless ignition, short geaed transmission which puts ideal cruising speed at 60. Pop out windows added to improve a ventilation of the interior for the rear passengers. Stock suspension, stock height, stock tires for a smooth an uncomplicated ride. Camber compensator to help with crosswinds and to undertake oversteering. Still drum brakes, still 6 volt. As factory intended with a touch of mild improvements here and there. I also have a Thing with 180+HP engine but I wouln´t call it ideal for a smooth cruise. More a street warrior.

|82x94|

1961 Deluxe beetle, 1971 type 181, 1968 T2a Baywindow, 1973 Type 147 "Swiss Fridolin"(sold), 1966 Deluxe sedan (sold), 1983 "Silver Bug" edition (sold), 1961 beetle (sold)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Best VW to take on a cruise? Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
, any Type 3 is a great, comfortable car- and capable of passing/hills.

^ This.

The Type 3 is the most comfortable, balanced and driveable air-cooled vehicle Volkswagen ever put out.
olspeed
Samba Member

Location: In the shadow of Denali, I still don't give a damn how they do it outside

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Best VW to take on a cruise? Reply with quote

I totally loved my thing, it's the ultimate vert, top down, doors off and the windshield keeps the bugs out of your teeth. Even in the winter with the top up and the 45000BTU military gas heater that I installed going you could drive it a round in shirt sleeves at -20 it was just a great cruiser.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Best VW to take on a cruise? Reply with quote

My favorite cruising VW's (55mph or slower speeds, country roads, small towns)

1958-1964 Convertible Beetle , lowered front suspension, 1600 engine.
Honorable mention..
Pre 65 Sliding Rag top Beetles, lowered front suspension, 1600 engine.

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Best VW to take on a cruise? Reply with quote

Malokin Martin wrote:
hitest wrote:
, any Type 3 is a great, comfortable car- and capable of passing/hills.

^ This.

The Type 3 is the most comfortable, balanced and driveable air-cooled vehicle Volkswagen ever put out.

I agree! The Type 3 is the best of the bunch.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Best VW to take on a cruise? Reply with quote

They all suck.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Best VW to take on a cruise? Reply with quote

Brian wrote:
They all suck.

Finally-------an honest man. Very Happy
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Best VW to take on a cruise? Reply with quote

Best VW to take on a cruise?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Best VW to take on a cruise? Reply with quote

I think you are correct!

Whatever you do don't take a cheeky 62 beetle rag that's got separation anxiety and control issues, it's sure to cause trouble and piss off the Captain.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
itskyle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Best VW to take on a cruise? Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
I think you are correct!

Whatever you do don't take a cheeky 62 beetle rag that's got separation anxiety and control issues, it's sure to cause trouble and piss off the Captain.

That one is still down there. It's probably mostly coral reef now..

Anyhow, to answer your question...

The thing-has 4 doors. Easy in, easy out for all involved.

The thing-also convertible. Good if weather is good.

Hard top + gas heater combo = good winter runner, if you've rustproofed the bejesus out of it.

I've had a squareback. The straight stick ones are best, and avoid fuel injection at all costs.

I always like the dome light, and the clock on those. I kind of wish I still had mine.

Kyle
74 SuperBeetle Auto Stick (I miss that car)
73 SquareBack, Straight Stick (Wife misses this one.)
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Best VW to take on a cruise? Reply with quote

the easy answer is a 76+ Bay bus, tin top or camper.
for just a cruising VW I'd say find the elusive rare 76+ automatic with sunroof.
plenty of room for kids, gear and still a blast to drive..

for my 1500mi roadtrip last weekend, a engine swapped vanagon all the way.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: