Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bus Center Pin Replacement (Long, MANY pics)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus Center Pin Replacement (Long, MANY pics) Reply with quote

With the accumulation of great efforts from many gents, I am about to tackle this myself very soon. Thanks to all, and Jon for starting the thread and doing so in such high standard to have many more tips added with great value.

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dubskii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: Bus Center Pin Replacement (Long, MANY pics) Reply with quote

Great informational thread. I plan on replacing my center pin and bushings this weekend. I have read a lot of discussion on this thread about the reamer but little on the drift. Aside from the proper VW tool like Hazetguy uses and an actual bushing driver, has anyone used a socket and extension? I would imagine a socket slightly smaller in outside diameter than the bushing would work?
WTB Joe Heishman VW Arlington, VA License Plate Frame or Other Memorabilia
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Bus Center Pin Replacement (Long, MANY pics) Reply with quote

Dubskii wrote:
I would imagine a socket slightly smaller in outside diameter than the bushing would work?

A lot easier to use a piece of all thread at least 3" longer than the tube the bushings are in, some extra thick grade 8 washers with bigger ID than the all thread, three nuts, two grade 8 washers with smaller OD than the bushings and ID close to the all thread rod diameter, and a large socket.

Sand two flats on one or two of the grade 8 washers that are just smaller on the OD than the OD of the bushings, so they will be able to drop thru one of the bushings when tilted just right. So you want the piece of all thread to be smaller than the inside of the grade 8 washers to allow washer tilt.

Use the large socket to pull the bushing into it, a 36 mm socket should be bigger and longer than the bushing. Use two of the nuts locked against each other to keep them from moving on the all thread, when those two nuts are inside the front suspension.

When you pull in the top bushing (after putting in the bottom bushing) you will want a thick washer or piece of steel that has a much bigger OD the the top bushing. Pull the top bushing in part way and install the top warpy washer of the bushing kit around the bushing. Then pull the bushing the rest of the way down into the bore of the front suspension. The warpy washer will keep you from pulling the bushing down too far and set the correct bushing height just right.
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Bus Center Pin Replacement (Long, MANY pics) Reply with quote

Dubskii wrote:
Great informational thread. I plan on replacing my center pin and bushings this weekend. I have read a lot of discussion on this thread about the reamer but little on the drift. Aside from the proper VW tool like Hazetguy uses and an actual bushing driver, has anyone used a socket and extension? I would imagine a socket slightly smaller in outside diameter than the bushing would work?

I used a chunky spark plug socket. Just wrapped it in electrical insulating tape to prevent it marring the bushes. Helpfully one end fitted inside the bush, which made getting the new ones started in the tube easier. Then I inverted it and used it with a short extension to knock the top bush up.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dubskii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus Center Pin Replacement (Long, MANY pics) Reply with quote

Completed this much needed replacement. Everything went just as hazetguy and others indicated. Many thanks! You can see my replacement steps on my build thread in my signature.
WTB Joe Heishman VW Arlington, VA License Plate Frame or Other Memorabilia
Longboardluv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus Center Pin Replacement (Long, MANY pics) Reply with quote

I ordered the drift, reamer and pin from JOGR! All ready to go, going to go get a clamp at HF, however...

Do you have to use one of these "drivers"? if so do they have them at harbor freight?

I see someone use a regular socket, does that work as well? any opinions or tips?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus Center Pin Replacement (Long, MANY pics) Reply with quote

I used a socket and T-handle breaker bar and it worked well.

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus Center Pin Replacement (Long, MANY pics) Reply with quote

Longboardluv wrote:
Do you have to use one of these "drivers"? if so do they have them at harbor freight?

a long time ago, i bought that at sears. they might still have them available? not sure about harbor fright. maybe northern tool, perhaps even a big box store like lowe's or home despot might carry them.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus Center Pin Replacement (Long, MANY pics) Reply with quote

Longboardluv wrote:
I ordered the drift, reamer and pin from JOGR! All ready to go, going to go get a clamp at HF, however...

That is a "tap handle" good for reamers or threading holes with taps. They come in several sizes, so you will want one that is designed for the square size of the reamer you have. While you could use a lot of other tools to turn the reamer, a tap handle just gives you a lot better control of it to get it straighter.
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: Bus Center Pin Replacement (Long, MANY pics) Reply with quote

I think I ended up using a spanner. I couldn't find a tap handle with jaws big enough to take the centre pin reader.

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Longboardluv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus Center Pin Replacement (Long, MANY pics) Reply with quote

I'd also like to thank HazetGuy and everyone else that's contributed to this thread! I referred it the whole way through doing my pin. #TeamAircooled

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RHD Notch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus Center Pin Replacement (Long, MANY pics) Reply with quote

Here's my set-up...I bought one of the cheapo Chinese 24mm Straight Flute Reamers from FleaBay. I just kissed the flats on my grinder and it now fits in a 19mm or 13/16" socket (1/2" drive) and rotate it with a 1/2" drive 'T' handle...works perfect.
I have some other projects I'd like to finish first and I want to drive this bus while I'm working on those to help stay motivated.
ernstben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus Center Pin Replacement (Long, MANY pics) Reply with quote

Did you mean this one (or one like it?):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Straight-Shank-Hand-Reamer...StBk96GAaQ

I'm tempted to go this route seeing as I'm probably only ever going to use it once.

'63 Ghia Coupe Project
'59 Panel Project
'56 Ragtop Project
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus Center Pin Replacement (Long, MANY pics) Reply with quote

hazetguy wrote:
I like to install the clamp and upper spacer to compress the arm on the pin. This allows the bolt to be removed easily, and the threads of the bolt will not get chewed up by dragging them through the pin and arm area which is in an uncompressed state.

Size check - Is that an 8" clamp from Harbor Freight?
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus Center Pin Replacement (Long, MANY pics) Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Size check - Is that an 8" clamp from Harbor Freight?

Yes, correct. The top needs to be modified for beam clearance. Took some trial and error to get it right, without totally compromising any structural integrity. Hasn't broken yet!
I would think that a smaller clamp would work too. When I bough it I wasn't sure how big to get, and since this one has worked so well, I haven't seen the need to try any other size.

RWK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus Center Pin Replacement (Long, MANY pics) Reply with quote

anyone ever make the bushing driver? I have time and a lathe, have made MANY special tools over the years, getting ready to to do my 64 SC,
rwk
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Bus Center Pin Replacement (Long, MANY pics) Reply with quote

RWK wrote:
anyone ever make the bushing driver? I have time and a lathe, have made MANY special tools over the years, getting ready to to do my 64 SC,
rwk

Here are the drawings for many tools...

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/local_manufacture.php
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus Center Pin Replacement (Long, MANY pics) Reply with quote

Really a threaded puller works better. With a driver one will require removing the entire front beam to get enough room to swing a hammer.
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus Center Pin Replacement (Long, MANY pics) Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
With a driver one will require removing the entire front beam to get enough room to swing a hammer.

this is untrue. jack the bus up, put it on jackstands, lots of room. and if you have, or have access to a lift, there is PLENTY of room.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus Center Pin Replacement (Long, MANY pics) Reply with quote

hazetguy wrote:

this is untrue. jack the bus up, put it on jackstands, lots of room. and if you have, or have access to a lift, there is PLENTY of room.

Sure on a lift, great, but jack stands are not going to be enough room to get a real good swing at it.
Even then you have to swing uphill, with crap falling in your face.. Again a puller is a lot easier and less cursing.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Page 11 of 14

Jump to: