Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do for your Bus today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 595, 596, 597 ... 678, 679, 680  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

The tread looks pretty good on that Continental tire. How old was it? Glad you made it ok!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:31 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

motofly196 wrote:
The tread looks pretty good on that Continental tire. How old was it? Glad you made it ok!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The tire was maybe a year or 2 old, still lots of tread left... Sad
I think the rim should be ok, it was ridding on the inside of the tire, and I pulled over pretty quick, it did chip some paint & bend the rear wheel well lip, it was really hot that day, don't know what caused it...

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

crukab wrote:
motofly196 wrote:

The tire was maybe a year or 2 old, still lots of tread left... Sad
I think the rim should be ok, it was ridding on the inside of the tire, and I pulled over pretty quick, it did chip some paint & bend the rear wheel well lip, it was really hot that day, don't know what caused it...

Had the same thing happened a couple of years ago with a fairly new tire in the Plump Truck. Middle lane on the freeway a few miles from home, tire lost all air and though I pulled over quickly, the inner side of the tire tore up just like yours! Once towed home I removed the tire and 3" screw dropped out from the inside of it. Since yours tore up considerably, I'd guess whatever punctured it left the tire by the time you stopped. Confused

mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

that's not normal

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Maybe this is a case of: It looks like a bias ply, but it's not... so the side wall fails.
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

crukab wrote:

Called & ordered a new tire for the '66 SC after a blow out @ 60 mph....
Plus I bought a NEW skinny tire to fit my spare, the one I had held air & had ok tread, it's just that it was 30+ years old Shocked

( skinny tire needed to fit the spare tire yoke, the 195's won't fit...

What's the date code on the tire?

*Edit - I can see the date code in pic (4913) so that tire was only about 2.5yrs old. Any old repairs/punctures?
Red Fau Veh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Oh crap, I have those tires on my bus! Shocked
1961 Swivel Seat camper, L345 grey
Touch Nicks Thing wrote:
Swivel Seat panels are for people with no friends Crying or Very sad
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

srfndoc wrote:
crukab wrote:

Called & ordered a new tire for the '66 SC after a blow out @ 60 mph....
Plus I bought a NEW skinny tire to fit my spare, the one I had held air & had ok tread, it's just that it was 30+ years old Shocked

( skinny tire needed to fit the spare tire yoke, the 195's won't fit...

What's the date code on the tire?

*Edit - I can see the date code in pic (4913) so that tire was only about 2.5yrs old. Any old repairs/punctures?

Nope, no repairs/punctures.
I had been cranking on the highway, then a bunch of dirt/back roads, parked for 3 hours, back on the highway for 15 mine, bang. Flats don't happen that often like that for me, I carry a air pump & walk around the truck daily to check tires, I drive 8-9 miles of bumpy dirt roads going to work, so I'm always looking for any soft tires, the BITCH is it's $175/tire...

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

crukab wrote:
the BITCH is it's $175/tire...

Where did you get your tires from? When mine was destroyed, Discount Tires replaced it for something like $14. Razz
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

I took care of two buses (last night) when I took delivery of two Blaze-Cut fire suppression systems from jogrusa.com! One for the camper- one for the DC. Thanks again for your great help Josh in putting together a big order of these for the Bus Pilots up here in Boise!

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
zozo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

For the littles. Over 100* in the garage. A labor of love.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

If it were over 100 in my shop, I wouldn't even set foot in there.

Good work man.
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Fitted a set of Doug's repro bubble tail lights. The quality is very good, especially the lenses. I had a chance to check out an OG pair on the VW Heritage single cab a few weeks back and the lenses look at least as good as the originals. I'm really pleased with them.

Before...

After...

The reflectors aren't correct, but they'll do for now.

I can't explain why the '57-on tail lights bugged me so much, but I'm much happer with these.

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Spent the better part of a Sunday getting the greaseball of a 40 horse extracted from the bus and pulling foam out from everywhere. We actually had fun doing it.

As a side note, the interior panels were held on by at least 500 hex drywall screws

cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

^^^ New bus in the fleet?
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:

Haha yeah. I really missed "The Project" after the last one was done. We left completely covered in grease, dirty and had a great time. The simplicity of everything in old VW's makes weekend tinkering really fun (as I'm sure you know). I'm kind of waiting to post a thread on it until the metal gets here and we've made real progress.

I will say it was delivered very close to you and has some interesting logos/history...
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Malokin Martin wrote:
cdennisg wrote:

Haha yeah. I really missed "The Project" after the last one was done. We left completely covered in grease, dirty and had a great time. The simplicity of everything in old VW's makes weekend tinkering really fun (as I'm sure you know). I'm kind of waiting to post a thread on it until the metal gets here and we've made real progress.

I will say it was delivered very close to you and has some interesting logos/history...

Looking forward to hearing the story.

Will you be at the Vintage Meet this weekend? We should meet in person.
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Really bummed I'm missing the show. Work got in the way... But I may make the post show camp out. If you're in town early on in the week and want to meet-up for a beer pm me and I can send you my number
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Headed over Friday AM to stop at Moto International (Moto Guzzi Dealer) then to a friend's place in Bothel. Probably have to head back East Sunday mid day. Not sure where Saturday night will be spent.
Red Fau Veh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:56 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Malokin Martin wrote:
Spent the better part of a Sunday getting the greaseball of a 40 horse extracted from the bus and pulling foam out from everywhere. We actually had fun doing it.

As a side note, the interior panels were held on by at least 500 hex drywall screws

coincidentally my buddy in Seattle spent time taking the foam out of our find this weekend. You think you have foam everywhere.

1961 Swivel Seat camper, L345 grey
Touch Nicks Thing wrote:
Swivel Seat panels are for people with no friends Crying or Very sad
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 595, 596, 597 ... 678, 679, 680  Next
Jump to:
Page 596 of 680

Jump to: