Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Late model hood spring tension, adjusting
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
marujo.sortudo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:14 pm    Post subject: Late model hood spring tension, adjusting Reply with quote

So, I brought my nearly rust free hood from my parts car and installed it. All went well except for the springs. Previously, my parts car had a hood springing action that was good as new. It would open all the way and hold there firmly. The newer car's hood springs seemed a bit anemic. So, I swapped hoods and springs on both cars. Now they are both a bit anemic, despite the fact that the parts car had its springs on the rearmost notch and now they're on the new car on the forward notch! What did I do wrong? Any ideas to increase tension short of welding another spring notch on?
blues90
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Late model hood spring tension, adjusting Reply with quote

marujo.sortudo wrote:
So, I brought my nearly rust free hood from my parts car and installed it. All went well except for the springs. Previously, my parts car had a hood springing action that was good as new. It would open all the way and hold there firmly. The newer car's hood springs seemed a bit anemic. So, I swapped hoods and springs on both cars. Now they are both a bit anemic, despite the fact that the parts car had its springs on the rearmost notch and now they're on the new car on the forward notch! What did I do wrong? Any ideas to increase tension short of welding another spring notch on?

I looked at my 73 and the springs are both on the rear notch and I have to hold it from flying up.

Since they worked on the parts car and I doubt if you can get them on reversed perhaps the hinges on the newer car are stiff at the pivot and need to be lubed , They may feel free with no spring tension yet with tension applied they might bind . That's about the only difference in the two cars I can see. Are both springs new and old the same ? If so does the old car hood seem a bit better than it was than the new car with the weaker springs if so that tells me the hinges need lubing on the new car.

Sorry that's all I have to offer.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Late model hood spring tension, adjusting Reply with quote

Did you get the rear hook of the spring in the correct place? There should be a place in the hinge that the hook latches onto, and then you'll get a ton of spring rate out of the spring. I ran into this when I clipped my 71 Square years ago. You could almost install the spring by hand (it was that far off). Once I got the hook in the right place, I had to use my come-a-long to pull the spring into the front groove slot. Now the hood goes all the way up, and stays there.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: