Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Söderfors forestry bus
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
eddieskustom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:08 am    Post subject: Söderfors forestry bus Reply with quote

Hi everyone, my name is Pete and having spent over 25years messing around with old VW's I'm just starting on my biggest project ever.

This bus is known by some people and I have seen a few pictures of it on this site before. It's a '54 LHD kombi with left hand cargo doors that we believe belonged to a logging company. The bus appears to have been scrapped in the early sixties but has survived in remarkably complete condition, unfortunately the same can't be said about the amount of rust!!!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

My first task is to build a jig to support the very flimsy remains of the buses structure and in this I'm looking for some help.

I have replicated the beam location and am starting to look at jigging the rear, however I'm struggling to find any information regarding the relative height of the front beam to the rear torsion bar covers when viewed from the side. Does anyone have any measurements for this?

I will be adding more pictures and info as I go, including images of the jig.

Last edited by eddieskustom on Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:25 am; edited 1 time in total
newa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: '54 Swedish kombi Reply with quote

Nice, you've got a job there! Got any more pics? Do you have any details on the logos?

Is that a leftie with left loading doors or double door?

I can have a look at the measurements you are after, mine is not on a jig but I can probably work it out. There was a thread with reman/nos chassis rails somewhere that may have covered it.

What about this one http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=624923

Alex
eddieskustom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: '54 Swedish kombi Reply with quote

Hi Alex

Thanks for the reply and link. Some useful info in that thread, but still not giving me the measurements I'm looking for.

I've got loads more pictures of the bus and some more of the logo which I will post up soon.

It is a lefty with a left hand only cargo door. Did consider right hand conversation, but am planning to leave it as is.
eddieskustom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: '54 Swedish kombi Reply with quote

Here are some pictures of logo and also of original owners fleet plaque on dash rail

Franz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: '54 Swedish kombi Reply with quote

Delivered in primer?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
eddieskustom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:34 pm    Post subject: Re: '54 Swedish kombi Reply with quote

Franz wrote:
Delivered in primer?

The bus is definitely a factory grey. Whether that is primer I'm not sure, I will be applying for the birth certificate which will hopefully tell us.
dmuis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: '54 Swedish kombi Reply with quote

Almost looks like an SO13 singlecab box on the roof, though the roof seam is different.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=729983

newa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: '54 Swedish kombi Reply with quote

Have a look at this thread, they use a jig and must have figured this out already:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=644090

I just had a look at mine, rough with a tape measure it looks like the lowest front beam bolt center is 45mm higher than the bottom edge of the rear torsion tube, with the chassis rail lower as the horizontal ref plane.

I'll see if I can get a more accurate measurement off both sides and compare
Air Kraft
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: '54 Swedish kombi Reply with quote

Hi Pete! Nice to meet you guys today!
Cheers, Matt
Bala
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: '54 Swedish kombi Reply with quote

Have you been able to work out the name of the logging company? My family owned a logging company in Sweden that I think would align time wise with this bus. I have a family history book I'll have to flip through this evening. Probably not related, but still very interesting to me.

1966 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
56samba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: '54 Swedish kombi Reply with quote

Hi,
That's Dave's bus, or did he sold because of his other projects? Laughing

Looks like there's a lot of work waiting for you, we all hope you'll get it done well and fast Wink

I don't know exactly when Sweden switched to LHD, but was that already in 1954? If they changed it later, why is this bus a lefty? Was the bus his whole life in Sweden?

Good luck, Jan Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: '54 Swedish kombi Reply with quote

56samba wrote:
Hi,

Looks like there's a lot of work waiting for you, we all hope you'll get it done well and fast Wink

I don't know exactly when Sweden switched to LHD, but was that already in 1954? If they changed it later, why is this bus a lefty? Was the bus his whole life in Sweden?

Good luck, Jan Smile

in sweden most all cars were LHD, even though they did drive on the left hand side. (presumably to better see what is going on on the side of the road). They switched September 3rd 1967

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
56samba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: '54 Swedish kombi Reply with quote

Thanks Uli,
I was quite sure the most were RHD. There are so many right hand drive barndoors from Sweden...
Cheers Jan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
eddieskustom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: '54 Swedish kombi Reply with quote

Air Kraft wrote:
Hi Pete! Nice to meet you guys today!
Cheers, Matt

Hi Matt, really great to meet you too. Thanks for sorting out my cylinderhead, much appreciated 👍
eddieskustom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: '54 Swedish kombi Reply with quote

Bala wrote:
Have you been able to work out the name of the logging company? My family owned a logging company in Sweden that I think would align time wise with this bus. I have a family history book I'll have to flip through this evening. Probably not related, but still very interesting to me.

Hi Bala

That would be amazing if you could check your records, I'd love to find some history for the bus. I currently do not have the company name, but my be able to find it out.
eddieskustom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: '54 Swedish kombi Reply with quote

56samba wrote:
Hi,

Good luck, Jan Smile

Hi Jan

Yes bus did belong to Dave, I have bought it from him so he concentrate on his other projects.
As far as I know it is was always a Swedish bus. I'm not to sure on when they changed over.
As to the amount of work, you are not wrong and it's a lot. I will only ever do the best job I can and certainly not going to bodge it up, however quick I don't think it will be.
eddieskustom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: '54 Swedish kombi Reply with quote

eddieskustom wrote:
Bala wrote:

Hi Bala

That would be amazing if you could check your records, I'd love to find some history for the bus. I currently do not have the company name, but my be able to find it out.

The logo appears to say

SODERFORS SKOGSFORVALTING

If you or anyone else can help translate or give a clue to its meaning I'd be very grateful 👍
Wiggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: '54 Swedish kombi Reply with quote

SKOGS FORVALTNING means Forest Management, I think. Perhaps the first part is the name of the company?

My 58 Ghia Vert

My 51 Split 11G

My 57 Deluxe

My 56 Oval
jcwelding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: Söderfors forestry bus Reply with quote

Hi all,

I've been commissioned to do the welding work on this bus so I'll throw a few progress pictures up as I go along if I get time.

Cheers
Jeff.

The bus is pretty bent and twisted so first job was to mount it onto the body jig to make sure the chassis is straight.
Pete had made a start on it so the rails and cross members are already welded in position. It bolted straight on mm perfect..... well done Pete Applause (not sure he actually needs my help Wink )

Off with the body so I can finish the chassis.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
johnny d
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:41 am    Post subject: Re: Söderfors forestry bus Reply with quote

and here we go again... Very Happy

the bus will look pretty cool, once it finished! i guess its in good hands.. Wink
&
VWKernzentrale since 2007
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: