Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I need a quality sunroof seal
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mlew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:04 am    Post subject: I need a quality sunroof seal Reply with quote

Any one have a source for a quality made sunroof seal for a 64 Beetle with a metal sunroof ?
I have installed 2 from Wolfsburg West and another I got from EBAY,after 6 months they are falling apart. I don't want to install another one of theirs.
Looking around I find many places selling the seals. cip1, West Coast Metric, J Bugs and Wolfsburg West. I was told by several restoration shops that they all get them from the same supplier. So it seems if I have to buy from anyone of them I am getting the same part and will have the same problem within a year. Every Christmas for the past 3 years I have spend a day putting in a new sunroof seal and I don't want to do it again.

Does anybody have another source for a seal ? Or something else that can be adapted to work?
mlew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: I need a quality sunroof seal Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here is what the seal looks like now. It was installed in December 2015
mlew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:10 am    Post subject: Re: I need a quality sunroof seal Reply with quote

I send that picture to Wolfsburg West and they said there is no warranty on the seal. They did replace it the first time but not this time.

Anybody got any suggestions on where to go next?
Sharp64 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:03 am    Post subject: Re: I need a quality sunroof seal Reply with quote

I'll start this by saying I know literally nothing about how the sunroof and/or seals install or operate, but I would think that they definitely should last for more than 6 months!!! I have had various sunroofs on multiple vehicles over the last 30 years that I have been driving and never once had to replace a sunroof seal. With that being said, it looks like it is wearing badly only on the rear edge and corners. From the picture, the rest of it looks fairly decent. Is there any chance that the sunroof is dragging somehow and needs to be adjust or something? As bad as it looks I would venture a guess its looked like this for awhile now? Have you tried replacing it and not opening the sunroof and seeing if it still wears? I know it defeats the purpose of the sunroof, but maybe worth considering?

Just my .02 trying to help.
stevie_z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: I need a quality sunroof seal Reply with quote

Hi. You might try this one:
http://www.pps-shop.at/kaefer/innenausstattung/sch...rne/hinten
Itīs a german supplier (Hoffmann Speedster), but Iīm pretty sure our local (Austria) branch is shipping worldwide. Of course I canīt say how much shipping and handling will cost. The quality of the parts I bought is good, although I donīt know anything about that seal.
If youīre interested I could call and ask about shipping costs.
Kind regards,
Stefan
mlew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: I need a quality sunroof seal Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
I'll start this by saying I know literally nothing about how the sunroof and/or seals install or operate, but I would think that they definitely should last for more than 6 months!!! I have had various sunroofs on multiple vehicles over the last 30 years that I have been driving and never once had to replace a sunroof seal. With that being said, it looks like it is wearing badly only on the rear edge and corners. From the picture, the rest of it looks fairly decent. Is there any chance that the sunroof is dragging somehow and needs to be adjust or something? As bad as it looks I would venture a guess its looked like this for awhile now? Have you tried replacing it and not opening the sunroof and seeing if it still wears? I know it defeats the purpose of the sunroof, but maybe worth considering?

Just my .02 trying to help.

The seal is glued to the outer edge of the roof and is contacted on the side by the sliding section. It is not wear from rubbing. What you see in the picture is the inner silicone tube coming out because the cloth covering has rotted from UV exposure. It is all the way around , its kind of hard to see in the pic. That seal was installed the week after Christmas 2015. Its is suppose to be almost black in color and had faded to white.
dcheek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: I need a quality sunroof seal Reply with quote

I had the same problem with the sunroof seal on my Vanagon. I had to source it from Germany, which cost a fortune by the time I had it shipped to the USA.
It lasted about a year before the felt covering on the top rotted away! I eventually got a VW original from the "Classic Parts" website.

http://www.volkswagen-classic-parts.de/en/?___stor...assicparts

You will need to get the original part number to make sure you get the correct one. It was 1/4 the price and has been on there for years without any degradation.

As far as installation, you have to remove the old seal and glue using enamel reducer, or any solvent that can cut the glue without taking the paint off. Then use a professional grade contact cement (not from Home Depot but from a company that sells upholstery supplies) and apply to both the seal and the area it attaches to. You get one shot to get it on correctly with contact cement. There will be a little extra you will have to trim to butt the two ends together. Good luck!

Dave
1966 Westy
1976 914 2.0
1989 911 Carrera
1981 Diesel Rabbit Pick Up
1982 Diesel Vanagon
2014 Golf (last year German mfr for NA)
2019 Jetta Gli, 35th Anniversary Edition, 6 speed
Sharp64 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:54 am    Post subject: Re: I need a quality sunroof seal Reply with quote

Are these the ones?

http://www.volkswagen-classic-parts.de/en/catalogsearch/result/?q=117+877+22
dcheek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:41 am    Post subject: Re: I need a quality sunroof seal Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
Are these the ones?

If it matches the part number for your car, then yes.

Dave
1966 Westy
1976 914 2.0
1989 911 Carrera
1981 Diesel Rabbit Pick Up
1982 Diesel Vanagon
2014 Golf (last year German mfr for NA)
2019 Jetta Gli, 35th Anniversary Edition, 6 speed
Sharp64 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: I need a quality sunroof seal Reply with quote

dcheek wrote:
Sharp64 wrote:
Are these the ones?

If it matches the part number for your car, then yes.

Dave

Not my car, was trying to help the OP. These are the numbers I found on WWs site. WW sells the two pcs as a set, looks like the German site sells the pcs separately. According to the descriptions I can find the sunroofs were the same from 64-67.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: I need a quality sunroof seal Reply with quote

That link takes me to a corporate login page. Do they sell retail?
Sharp64 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: I need a quality sunroof seal Reply with quote

Odd. I have the same issue if I try it on my phone. Clicking it on my desktop takes me right to it.

Go to the search feature and type in "117 877 22". The 3C is the front pc, the 5B is the back piece from what I can tell. Hope it helps.
mlew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: I need a quality sunroof seal Reply with quote

That looks like the one,Part # 8 . I will also need and #9 in the drawing. I can't read German so that's as far as I got.
Do you know if that is the same one most vendors sell in the US ?
Sharp64 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: I need a quality sunroof seal Reply with quote

mlew wrote:
That looks like the one,Part # 8 . I will also need and #9 in the drawing. I can't read German so that's as far as I got.
Do you know if that is the same one most vendors sell in the US ?

Per one of the other posters it seems to be better quality? I thought everything on the site was OEM?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: