Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Etching or Building Primer?
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ilustr8tor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:58 am    Post subject: Etching or Building Primer? Reply with quote

I have completed the metal work on my 65 beetle, car is down to bare metal and am about to begin body filler stage. I would like to primer the car to keep down flash rust (in a dry garage). I have some light to medium filler skim coats needed before it will be ready for paint. I am planning to paint Iceland or mignonette green with a semi flat finish.

Should I use an etching primer or should I use a building primer?
air-h2o-air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: Etching or Building Primer? Reply with quote

With all the new techniques....the paint companies state epoxy over bare metal....then body work, then fill prime
ilustr8tor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: Etching or Building Primer? Reply with quote

Thank you, Read a lot of good things about SEM Primer probably what I will use.
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Etching or Building Primer? Reply with quote

I like SPI, shoots nice and not too expensive. Bare metal, epoxy, filler on epoxy within a week, high build or epoxy again, block, prime, block and finally paint
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: Etching or Building Primer? Reply with quote

Quote:
Bare metal, epoxy, filler on epoxy within a week, high build or epoxy again, block,....

One generally does not block epoxy.
ilustr8tor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: Etching or Building Primer? Reply with quote

Jason you said filler on epoxy primer within a week? I was hoping to primer entire car then do filler work but will take me more than a week to get to all the areas that need filler?
ilustr8tor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Etching or Building Primer? Reply with quote

Really confused here. I am just about finished stripping the paint on my 65. Car is down to bare metal. I want to paint it before I begin body filler work to stop any flash rust (which may take me a few weeks, only have weekends to work on the car) . I thought that was what epoxy primer was for. Folks at Eastwood confirmed what you said. Filler work should be completed in a week after priming to eliminate additional block sanding.

Any help?
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Etching or Building Primer? Reply with quote

The problem is Epoxy dries rock hard in a couple days & is impossible to sand! I'd just use phosphoric acid solution on all the bare metal & rattle can red oxide primer over the filler work/block sanding that can take months part-time! Rolling Eyes When your bodywork looks flawless, then spray the Epoxy & sanding sealer on the same day. You can still fill/block sand/sealer more if needed before base coat & clear coat. You are dreaming if you think beginners can spray single stage paint that comes out shiny/tough/sandable/polishable etc & something to be proud of as your first paint job? Question my.02 cents
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Etching or Building Primer? Reply with quote

jspbtown wrote:
Quote:
Bare metal, epoxy, filler on epoxy within a week, high build or epoxy again, block,....

One generally does not block epoxy.

Unless one has an unlimited free supply of sandpaper and energy
raul arrese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:39 am    Post subject: Re: Etching or Building Primer? Reply with quote

Epoxy is usually used to seal up a bare metal car and then other products on top of that ... but there is a million ways to do it depending on who you ask .
" 2013 Lakeland Classic Best of Show "
" 2014 Show and Shine , First in class "
"
Like my facebook https://www.facebook.com/pages/Raul-Arrese-custom-fabrication-and-performance/1832968110262608
ilustr8tor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Etching or Building Primer? Reply with quote

I think I am going to shoot the epoxy. Body is finally down to bare metal inside and out. Patch welding is completed ready to lay down filler. I a sure I will skim the entire car. The areas I first removed the paint is beginning to show faint surface rust. Car is in garage but it does get humid here.

My thoughts are to rattle can spray the body to stop flash rusting and to make it easier to see imperfections as I do the body filler. Folks at Eastwood said the epoxy primer would be a good choice for my need I would just have to abrade the surface when I get ready to paint. I am having final paint done professionally so I am hoping they will know what is needed, just don't want to make their job more difficult. Going with a semi flat olive color, give it a nice retro look.

appreciate the support on this site.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/img]
ilustr8tor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Etching or Building Primer? Reply with quote

Wow didn't even see this post:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=658127
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: