Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

No clue what I got into Sandrail adventure.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aerindel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: No clue what I got into Sandrail adventure. Reply with quote

Sure, you can just not hook up the indicator light (thats what I did for a few months before I got around to wiring up separate indicator lights) but if your goal is to be street legal an indicator light is probably required. There are various ways you can hook up a light or lights to the relay you have, you just can't use the light that is built into the turn signal switch you have.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=630046
DerpyMonkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: No clue what I got into Sandrail adventure. Reply with quote

Here in MI I don't believe you have to have an indicator light. I tried going around it but couldn't figure a way to get the turn signals to work.
DerpyMonkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: No clue what I got into Sandrail adventure. Reply with quote

If someone could pm me with the correct flasher I would need that would be great.
Thinking just a random 4 prong led one on ebay will work, but would rather buy one someone else is using to know for sure.
DerpyMonkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: No clue what I got into Sandrail adventure. Reply with quote

Well a little update.
Got the wiring all sorted out, so blinkers, break lights, headlights, running lights, high beams, horn. So thats nice to have that done.
Finished up the windshield and wiper (still need to figure out a windshield washer)
Besides that only thing that need to be done is to slap a mirror on it.

Got the rest of my floor pan in last night, ended up going back to the funky fiberglass seats.
So close to getting it all titled and ready to zip around town, need to figure out a time to get up to Silver Lake too...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Also got a compression checker, looks like I have 100psi on #3, 90 on#2, 30 on #2, and 15 on #1....
DerpyMonkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: No clue what I got into Sandrail adventure. Reply with quote

Well things are getting bolted together and finished up Smile Everything is on her and just waiting for the inspector to call me back about a date/time to come check things off for the title.
Hoping that this will go sorta fast from here (Fingers crossed!) Seeing how my Jeep now needs some work.
Will try to get some pictures up when she is on the road and around some trails....Why does summer have to be coming to an end just as things are getting started...
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: No clue what I got into Sandrail adventure. Reply with quote

Think body panels, heater/defroster, and tire chains!!!!
Cool
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DerpyMonkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: No clue what I got into Sandrail adventure. Reply with quote

Well quite sometime has gone by, now back to nice weather again here in MI.
During the winter I got some new pistons and cylinders in. Finished up my bumpers to get it legal.
But I have run into a weird problem.
So yesterday it ran pretty decent for the first time out driving, But today when I try to start off it will go like 2 feet and die, tried starting in both 1st and 2nd, but the weird part is, it's fine going in reverse....
If anyone has a thought about that let me know.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: No clue what I got into Sandrail adventure. Reply with quote

It's possible that the gear shifter is mis-adjusted. If the bolts that hold the shift lever to the bracket are a little loose, a bump of the leg can put it out so that instead of getting 1st, you would be getting 3rd.

At the last race a couple weeks ago, one of the race cars on our team was having similar trouble. As he struggled to get the car moving, I hollered
"The other 1st gear!"

Then I ran over to the car and told him to release the reverse gear lockout and push to the left, then forward. With some fiddling, that worked and he got it into 1st and took off. Later some adjustment got it working normal again.

It's also possible that the timing is off. But if it runs fine in reverse gear, it probably isn't that.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DerpyMonkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: No clue what I got into Sandrail adventure. Reply with quote

dustymojave wrote:
It's possible that the gear shifter is mis-adjusted. If the bolts that hold the shift lever to the bracket are a little loose, a bump of the leg can put it out so that instead of getting 1st, you would be getting 3rd.

That might be it, my linkage is sorta funky as it is, but always worked. need to find a nice U-joint for it, pain to find smaller ones.
DerpyMonkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: No clue what I got into Sandrail adventure. Reply with quote

So it has been awhile since I have been on here, but the buggy is up and going, runs pretty decent, got up to silver lake once this summer just because I have been busy.

But I am looking for some help right now, when I go to start out in 1st i have to feather the clutch to get it going, just releasing normally it starts to die, so I just end up reving it a little in between feathering it. thinking it has something to do with the jetting or maybe the bowl, just wondering if anyone else has had those sorts of problems recently.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: