Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What the Road Tells Me - cross country drive!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 45, 46, 47  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: What the Road Tells Me - cross country drive! Reply with quote

As stated above

1.) take the 101 as much as possible north.

2.) Hit the peninsula in Washington. The route you have through the tri cities is desolate.

3.) If you're using I-90 across, it starts in Seattle and ends in Boston. It was kind of cool to kill an entire highway last time I went across, and Bean town is a pretty cool city.

4.) I-90 is mind numbingly boring from Idaho to Wisconsin. This is not a fun road trip and you will end up just pounding miles midway through Wyoming to keep your brain from melting. Sorry folks if anyone lives out there, but north central America sucks ass.

Once you get out of state you will have a target on your back with the out of state plates and the VW hippy bus. Be very careful with any drugs in the car.
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: What the Road Tells Me - cross country drive! Reply with quote

Looks like an epic trip. I'm envious and I'll be subscribed to this thread.I'm sure you'll have a great time, and if anybody here knows how to keep a bus maintained and alive, you're the guy. Have fun!
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: What the Road Tells Me - cross country drive! Reply with quote

Wow, I go away for half a day and we're already up to two pages!

As of right now, the tallies of people on here:

Five of you think I need a shower, Four of you think I'm going to break down and need garage space, and two of you think I need to eat. Laughing I love all you guys! Hahaha.

I have a severely discounted gym membership at 24-Hour Fitness, which should help with free showers, and plenty of places to exercise since I won't be bringing my bike. Sad The Midwest looks free and clear of any gyms though, so I'll probably grab a few free day passes from their websites. Much more hygienic than truck stops, AND there are no call-girls asking to party! Shocked

As far as scheduling goes, I have a few appointments with friends and family that I can not change. For instance, my best friend from high school is in DC for a limited time, I need to be there then. I also have tickets to the annual 9/11 memorial Yankee game against my Dodgers in NYC. Cool Most of the PNW stuff is scheduled around my family, so I likely won't be able to split out all the way to Seattle for much longer. Remember, this is supposed to be a drive across the country, not a meander around any one area too long... Plus, I have all winter to explore the south.

Now who needs their house painted? Volkswagen diagnosed? Lawn mowed? Razz I have enough food to get me to Montana....

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: What the Road Tells Me - cross country drive! Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:

Now who needs their house painted? Volkswagen painted ? Lawn mowed? driveway shoveled Razz

Robbie

I need all those things, but....I don't see Colorado on the itinerary. Wink
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: What the Road Tells Me - cross country drive! Reply with quote

Devil's Tower if you like huge rocks
Custer's Last Stand, because you won't be close to it again. Middle of Nowhere
Mount Rushmore (get there noonish, that's when the fog/mist clears)
Someone already mentioned there's a LOT of boring pavement out there.
Most of it is in South Dakota.
klcarrie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: What the Road Tells Me - cross country drive! Reply with quote

Hey Robbie,

If you find that pulley I'm looking for, and make it to Great Falls, MT, I've know of a hotel you could drop it off at: O'haire Motor Inn. BTW they have the best TIKI BAR in America (GQ, or some other mens source), I've been there lots and recommended it to Wheelie Pete on his 2014 trip from Detroit to Alaska (split bus forum). its only 800 Miles away from me in Canada... so no big deal, I've been itching to get down there again.

Lots of great driving on the Eastern Slopes of the Rockies!

If you don't make it that far north, but are travelling through Wyoming, I highly recommend you take your shower in Thermopolis. You won't be disappointed.

There are several hot springs developments there. Heck the whole town of Thermopolis is a hot spring. I think they offer 30 minutes to an hour free to visitors.

Happy Travels.

Kevin

- Bay Bus Pinion Nut Socket

- 64-67 big nut (rear) drums and brake parts, 46mm axle nuts (Big Nuts)

--
'55 Wolfburg Pannel Project
'55 Wolfsburg SC Project
'71 Westy
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: What the Road Tells Me - cross country drive! Reply with quote

klcarrie wrote:
I've been there lots and recommended it to Wheelie Pete on his 2014 trip from Detroit to Alaska (split bus forum).

Kevin

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=596474&highlight=

OMG, you reminded me of this thread. I'm not sure there has ever been a better travel, road trip thread as Wheelie Pete's on this site.. He did a great job w/that thread and EVERYONE was waiting for his next post. Simply epic!

If you haven't seen it Robbie, check it out..

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: What the Road Tells Me - cross country drive! Reply with quote

Hey Robbie,
If you make it as far as San Diego let me know. My garage is always open to a world traveller
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: What the Road Tells Me - cross country drive! Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
Hey Robbie,
If you make it as far as San Diego let me know. My garage is always open to a world traveller

Laughing

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
Goge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: What the Road Tells Me - cross country drive! Reply with quote

I'm in Medford, OR. If you need help just give a shout.
Not enough hair on my head
Not enough beer in my fridge
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: What the Road Tells Me - cross country drive! Reply with quote

Hey Robbie:

You smell, take a shower hippy.

I can't afford food for myself nor you.

I can't work on your bus. You and my apartment manager are to picky.

I don't drink, sorry to be a let down.

Let's go camping sometime Very Happy

206-841-7324
[email protected]
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:16 am    Post subject: Re: What the Road Tells Me - cross country drive! Reply with quote

Odd...

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1944020

Bus looks like one I 've seen before... Laughing
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:44 am    Post subject: Re: What the Road Tells Me - cross country drive! Reply with quote

Might have interior house paint work in Albany NY. Plaster on lath - back when houses were made by craftsmen. PM me

klcarrie - I might have a couple OG 38 Amp generator pulleys in stash - is that what you are looking for?
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: What the Road Tells Me - cross country drive! Reply with quote

close brother/cousin but the interiors don't compare.
see Robbies from April pic post http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=1509740

Wasted youth wrote:
Odd...

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1944020

Bus looks like one I 've seen before... Laughing

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: What the Road Tells Me - cross country drive! Reply with quote

If you need a driveway to stay in while in the DC area PM me. Garage with lift too... Have a great trip. Very Happy

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: What the Road Tells Me - cross country drive! Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I thought we were friends. come to Connecticut, it's where happiness comes to die

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: What the Road Tells Me - cross country drive! Reply with quote

Yeah, if plans change and you swing through New England, you are welcome in Boston. For reference it was in the 60s-70s here in December the last 2 years. The 14-15 Snowpocalypse didn't start till January and I was playing basketball with my nephews in short sleeves on Xmas day.
The seasons have moved up a month in the Northeast in the past 10-15 years.

Will you work for food? Haha... Laughing I am in a new house so....plenty of work to do....

30 years from now, the next guy may not want your girlfriend, but he may want your classic car, depending on how nice you were to it.

asiab3 wrote:

Careful guys, a petulant child can grow up to be president these days.

**winter drivers: no survivors!**rust warrior**#keepbodyshopsbusy**
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: What the Road Tells Me - cross country drive! Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:

I thought we were friends. come to Connecticut, it's where happiness comes to die

lol skills, you kill me.
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: What the Road Tells Me - cross country drive! Reply with quote

Robbie, feel free to swing by the buckle of the bible belt, where we will berate you for swearing and give ya a thumpin' with the good book (the Bentley)

In all seriousness though, I could probably use a hand with a few things on the bus. There's also a couple of micro-breweries I think you'd like. Wink
1970 Auto Fastback FI
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: What the Road Tells Me - cross country drive! Reply with quote

Spike0180 wrote:
skills@eurocarsplus wrote:

lol skills, you kill me.

Subaru swap.

206-841-7324
[email protected]
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 45, 46, 47  Next
Jump to:
Page 2 of 47

Jump to: