Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vacuum Line Mystery
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Fez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:25 pm    Post subject: Vacuum Line Mystery Reply with quote

After doing some research here as well as Ratwell's site, I decided to tackle the actual routing of vacuum hoses on my 74 Westy between the stock carb and the double advance distributor. The advance vacuum hose was properly attached to the left side of the 32-34 PDSIT carb, but the retard line was a bit of a mystery. For one, it wasn't hooked up to anything. The retard nipple had been blocked off and the hose was 'nearby', but not hooked up to anything (not sure how that happened, but I know I didn't do it).

What is the device to the right of the carb? It appears to have a vacuum nipple well. I wonder if it had been attached here and not the retard port on the carb. Does a Petronix ignition system change things up?

Any sage advice graciously accepted.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

old DKP driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Vacuum Line Mystery Reply with quote

That is the EGR valve port that was connected to the barb on the brake booster
line on the other side of the tin near the top of the transmission.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:01 am    Post subject: Re: Vacuum Line Mystery Reply with quote

Most retard cans have failed by this point and thus the hoses to them have been plugged to eliminate the vacuum leak this creates. If you retard can is bad, then you should not be setting your timing to the 5 or 10° ATDC spec as your timing will be way too far retarded if you do. Instead set your idle timing at 7.5° BTDC with the advance hose removed, or better yet set you timing at full mechanical advance, 28° BTDC @3500+ rpms hoses removed.
The Fez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Vacuum Line Mystery Reply with quote

That's interesting and quite possible. How does one test a retard can to determine if it is bad?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Vacuum Line Mystery Reply with quote

Connect a hose to the can and suck hard on the other end while watching the contact plate to see if it moves. Once it moves stick your tongue over the end of the hose to see that the vacuum does not leak off. You can do the the test with a Mityvac style vacuum pump if you have one.

Last edited by Wildthings on Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Vacuum Line Mystery Reply with quote

Link
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Vacuum Line Mystery Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:

Link

Wow, a three second clip that gets the job done, I am impressed. Wink
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Vacuum Line Mystery Reply with quote

Laughing I tried to make that video longer but my camera ran out of memory and I said "good enough." There is a special place in hell for people who make a twenty minute video on how to do a four minute job. Wink

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
The Fez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Vacuum Line Mystery Reply with quote

So with a Petronix electronic ignition setup, the same thing will happen?
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Vacuum Line Mystery Reply with quote

The Fez wrote:
So with a Petronix electronic ignition setup, the same thing will happen?

Yes
The Fez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Vacuum Line Mystery Reply with quote

Thanks for all the help. I did the amazingly technical suction test on the vacuum unit and it worked beautifully. I'm just down to the dynamic timing and dual carb adjustment and I should have no trouble tackling the hills of the Coquihalla Highway this summer, albeit at a fast snail's pace.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Vacuum Line Mystery Reply with quote

Lubing the Distributor
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Vacuum Line Mystery Reply with quote

For use near sea level, setting your timing at 28° BTDC @ 3500+ rpm's hoses off and plugged is still the best method.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: