Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ernie The REI VW Bus
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Ernie The REI VW Bus Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
The previous owner stating she Ernie was a rusted mess underneath.

FTFY
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Ernie The REI VW Bus Reply with quote

Wow. Good to see the interest. Thanks for sharing the back story - thanks Peace VAN for brokering a deal with REI and keeping the bus faith and yeah - how cool is it to then see a story pop up for another person reignite their bus bug after seeing Ernie?

Everyone gets a Cool face. Don't worry about it, its on me Wink

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Ernie The REI VW Bus Reply with quote

jtauxe wrote:
wcfvw69 wrote:

FTFY

But.. what if Ernie was transgender?!!?! Laughing

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ernie Punkin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:59 am    Post subject: Re: Ernie The REI VW Bus Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
jtauxe wrote:
wcfvw69 wrote:

FTFY

He could have fooled me, but if Ernie were to put up his own Facebook page I'm pretty sure he'd declare as single male. He seemed to always be saying, "quit fussing with me and let me go burn some rubber. i gotta date with a fat chick i gotta get to."
Ion Pod Trailer
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Ernie The REI VW Bus Reply with quote

Ernie Punkin wrote:
wcfvw69 wrote:
jtauxe wrote:
wcfvw69 wrote:

FTFY

He could have fooled me, but if Ernie were to put up his own Facebook page I'm pretty sure he'd declare as single male. He seemed to always be saying, "quit fussing with me and let me go burn some rubber. i gotta date with a fat chick i gotta get to."

Huh, thats funny. I say the same thing! Shocked

Laughing

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
driverinmyhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Ernie The REI VW Bus Reply with quote

Too cool!

It's at the flagship store? Gotta go check it out!

My first bus was pumpkin orange! I got screwed too! (LOL). Body was rust free, engine was rebuilt (thoughtfully reassembled).
Live and learn...

My kids LOVE our bus! (as they should). And I don't have to mention that our VeeDubs release us from this crazy modern world (seriously, 25 uphill in 2nd gear).

Good on REI!!!!
I have given them a fortune over the last 25 years! About time they give back to US!

Also..... so cool when someone comes forward to verify the history (thank you world wide web)!

Go Ernie!
Ernie Punkin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Ernie The REI VW Bus Reply with quote

driverinmyhead wrote:

And I don't have to mention that our VeeDubs release us from this crazy modern world (seriously, 25 uphill in 2nd gear).

driverinmyhead, so true!

i think transporters should now be called teleporters. driving them really does time warp us into a different reality. i love the forced slow lane effect as we rumble down the road.

maybe we should start a "got *bleeped* by my first orange bus" club? Laughing
Ion Pod Trailer
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:00 am    Post subject: Re: Ernie The REI VW Bus Reply with quote

Embarassed Embarassed Count me in-- Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes "Bill's PIL" is still in the garage.

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Ernie The REI VW Bus Reply with quote

I was in Seattle a couple weeks ago, and was looking forward to finally seeing Ernie.
But he wasn't there anymore! Crying or Very sad

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Ernie The REI VW Bus Reply with quote

seems the REI folks are VW fans, the REI in Washington DC had a late type 3 on the sales floor when we were there in 2019 Cool

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
Clementine79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Ernie The REI VW Bus Reply with quote

KentABQ wrote:
I was in Seattle a couple weeks ago, and was looking forward to finally seeing Ernie.
But he wasn't there anymore! Crying or Very sad

Thats too bad, the REI in Spokane WA normally has a VW meetup every year in their parking lot as event for folks to come and see.

I wonder where Ernie ended up now?
Ernie Punkin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 10:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Ernie The REI VW Bus Reply with quote

I was in Seattle a few weeks back and really wanted to get up to REI to look for him too, but never made it. I'll try to track him down. I want my brand-new Go Westy front seats back!
Ion Pod Trailer
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Ernie The REI VW Bus Reply with quote

Peacevans wrote:

The original plan was for it be there for a few years. We'll see how that goes with some many little hands and feet all over it all the time. We've been meaning to swing by and check it out lately and see how it's been wearing.

Regardless, anything that makes so many people smile is a good thing in our book.

Thanks!
Peace Vans

I was there in the end of May in 2022 and he was gone. Time up I guess. I'm glad that this thread had some legs for sure. Peace Van and Ernie himself chiming in back in 2016. Time flew by on this one as it does not seem like 2016 when I did it. Shocked Glad it was posted and all got to see it. Im sure there are hundreds of other pics out there from all the families with their kids crawling all around.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: