Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Brexit and it's influence on bus prices
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
HarryFD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Brexit and it's influence on bus prices Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
HarryFD wrote:
As it always seems. The sheeple listen to the talking heads and think the sky is falling. No one knows the long term impact but I am certain, while it may be different than previously expected, cooler heads will prevail and this will turn out ok.

Just remember that many who are pronouncing the sky is falling have a personal interest in getting people to churn their investments.

so far the only people I've heard saying the sky is falling are a few people that don't want it to happen. That doesn't mean you can put on your Susie Sunshine face and pretend there will be no effect.The Sterling has fallen against the USD and if you need parts from the UK now is a good time to consider placing an order.

Agreed. Things will change and some will not like the outcome and some will. All I am really saying is that the panic in the markets and the talking heads adding fuel to the false fire serves no useful purpose but to detract from making meaningful plans once the course is clear.
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Brexit and it's influence on bus prices Reply with quote

Thoughts at random, not prioritized:
1. You guys are a thoughtful, intelligent and well spoken group.
2. Short term effects of BREXIT might be that Northern Ireland and Scotland leave the UK. After 400 years, many feel it is time. That will be a very complicated matter for Northern Ireland. Scotland, less so. Self determination seemed a good idea for the 13 north American colonies some time back. It might be too early to say it was a good move, but I don't think too early.
3. Yes, overseas buyers should take advantage of the exchange rate to buy all the steering pegs and Brit made products in the short term. This makes our British suppliers even stronger and frankly, I'm glad to have them.
4. Few nice bays in US? I've been subscribed to internet lists near 20 years and for many of those years Karl Von Salzen was one of the best commentators. To say he was DISMAYED with the number of beautiful buses processed and destroyed at the u-pull-its was an understatement. Bless his soul, Karl would go there often, pulling off key parts and recycling them so others could continue to enjoy their hobby, as he did his 2 green campers.(One for his daughter).
5. The real enemy to the continued existence of these vehicles is one's crabby neighbors, the SUN and RAIN, and the high scrap metal market.
6. Raise a toast to Everett. And Ben Pon. And a thousand others before us.
Al
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Happyfolk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Brexit and it's influence on bus prices Reply with quote

Be patient. US buyers will be able to buy nice UK buses soon for pennies on the pound.
khalimadeath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Brexit and it's influence on bus prices Reply with quote

Tom Powell wrote:
Now is the time to buy a peg and rebuild the early bay steering box.

http://www.alanhschofield.com/ourparts/prod_2850482-Steering-peg-211415223B.html

Aloha
tp

Dude I need one of those. Whats the exchange rate for that right now?

EDIT: 0.75 GPB to $1.00 US whoo Thats a decent discount.

1970 Bus Westfalia
1964 Kombi

Last edited by khalimadeath on Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:11 pm; edited 2 times in total
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Brexit and it's influence on bus prices Reply with quote

This has been a very informative and interesting read. I have to claim a certain level of ignorance to how global economics operate, so the descriptions here have helped me understand some of what is and will be happening.

Please continue. I like to learn new things.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Brexit and it's influence on bus prices Reply with quote

khalimadeath wrote:

No. £100 cost you $134 today. Much better then it has been since 1985.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Jalabert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Brexit and it's influence on bus prices Reply with quote

I think it gets a lot more interesting yet. (I'm a UK expat, btw...and I voted remain. Doesn't mean I don't think there aren't serious systemic flaws with the EU - but I digress...)

Scotland voted to stay. Part of the devolution laws is that if there's any change in the constitutional arrangements of the UK then it needs to be ratified by all the devolved parliaments - Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. The first person the leavers need to do a deal with is the Scottish first minister, not the EU.

Northern Ireland is another clusterf*ck waiting to happen. Since the Good Friday Agreement it's been a soft, mostly unpoliced border. There's a choice of leaving that as is, and rendering pointless any attempts to control illegal immigration from the EU, or you could put it back and risk a wave of Irish nationalist fury. Or you could put the border at the English side of the border, and piss off all the Unionists.

The architect of the leave campaign said beforehand if the vote was 70-30 in favour of stay, it was game over, but if it was 48-52 then the issue wouldn't go away. Well, it was 48-52, just the other way...this story ain't done yet and the fallout hasn't even begun to be guessed at.

Both political parties split, a massive political void...and no-one seems to know what's happening next...

'73 westy, 1700 type 4 with 34icts
old DKP driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Brexit and it's influence on bus prices Reply with quote

This may change in the next week as Belgium will need to also answer as the UK
has really jumped the gun and it could backfire on the Britt's in the coming
week. Not Weeks.

Buy now and have the parts shipped asap.
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:46 am    Post subject: Re: Brexit and it's influence on bus prices Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
khalimadeath wrote:

I'm no math scholar, but isn't that the SAME THING?
(IT IS)
1 dollar/ .75 GBP/ dollar= $1.33=1 gbpound
one is the INVERSE OF THE OTHER
Last I visited UK I carried 1500 GBP around in my pocket for 2 weeks. Dollar advanced lot in this time, I Cashed back in at the same greedy money changers at Heathrow for no fee. I made a couple hundred dollars being stingy with my wife, not spending my pocket money.
Should have learned that one sooner.
Al
Vanagons:
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:40 am    Post subject: Re: Brexit and it's influence on bus prices Reply with quote

I hedged 10k sterling last week figuring

Remain...I'm out fees
Exit...pound will tank.

Now I can afford semaphores for my 54!!

I'm also expat British but could not vote in this one.
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: Brexit and it's influence on bus prices Reply with quote

I think that the US market is currently becoming more of a driver as well. So I don't think that this will have a large effect. It'll drag it down a little maybe, but not enough for the US market to feel it. Import costs will prevent the effect.
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Brexit and it's influence on bus prices Reply with quote

69doublecab wrote:
Xevin wrote:
khalimadeath wrote:

I'm no math scholar, but isn't that the SAME THING?
(IT IS)
1 dollar/ .75 GBP/ dollar= $1.33=1 gbpound
one is the INVERSE OF THE OTHER
Al

Yes, you are correct, it is the same thing. Perhaps I misunderstood 69doublecab. He/she implied the new rate made buying parts in UK a good discount. For sure better prices then a month ago. Even if you bought a part for £90 in UK and the same part is $100 in US. It still cost $119 if buying from UK. And shipping is going to cost a few more quid on top of that.

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Brexit and it's influence on bus prices Reply with quote

The real point was that if there are certain parts ONLY available in the UK, it would be a good idea to pull the trigger SOON on the deal.
Oh it's a crapshoot, but the GBP will likely go down level out then come back part way. Nothing settled till artikel 50 is begun. Maybe Parliament will never start artikel 50, either. It's their call.
WRT bus parts prices, the lower pound is a boon to those Brit sellers sending stuff this way.
The good sheet metal guys, for instance.
Bus Depot has some relationship with Just Kampers. Their prices might go down a bit.
Speak up, Ron....
Al
Vanagons:
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Brexit and it's influence on bus prices Reply with quote

^^^^ that right there Very Happy

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Brexit and it's influence on bus prices Reply with quote

69doublecab is on the money.
Surprisingly enough, looking through the classifieds for vehicles for sale, not just buses, but all of the assembly options, there sure does seem to be a noticeably percentage increase of ghias, bugs, and buses for sale in the UK.

To the remark of the US market playing a large roll in the value sustainability and improvement overall of the supply and demand, I believe it is indeed validated by the number of guys seeking out the rusty gold, finding temporary homes, until via resources such as the classifieds here on the Samba allow to find the buyers wanted and needed for the VW community and love to continue to grow.
Supply and demand are both, hand and hand, and I believe as we speak, there are good hands shaking on deals of beautiful to-be VW’s soon to see the open road.
A toast, indeed, to the late Ben Pon Sr. for creating the market and opportunity, and to the wonderful Everett for allowing them to come together and us to network, friend or foe Laughing , here on the Samba.
P.S. - I always thought that vendors in the UK were pricey but you get what you pay for, and I’ve always seen great items at shows from the British shops. Aside from the dollar exchange, we as a community will keep the market strong and steady!

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Brexit and it's influence on bus prices Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
BD. I think it will be a "correction" in the market. But after the dust settles. Boom. Who knows. Maybe the Dutch, Swedes, and French become the dominate player in Europe. UK has been a economic player in the world for 100s of years. Even after they relinquished of all those colonies/commonwealth states over the past century , they still remain a top 5 economy. Not to shabby for an island.
Maybe the time is right to buy back those rust free West Coast buses Laughing

You might later discover that some of the other wealthier EU might later decide to quit the EU owing to the pressures of unrestricted migration, plus funding the poorer nations that are current members and aspiring members such as Turkey and dirt-poor Albania; both countries I have visited in the distant past.

There are still about fifteen British Overseas Territories, including a few in the USA's back yard! Very Happy

Anguila

Bermuda

British Virgin Islands

Cayman Islands

Monserrat

Turks & Caicos Islands

Hawaii !?!

http://www.50states.com/flag/hiflag.htm

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor (semi-retired) of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

Much modified, RHD 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan, with the World's only decent, cross-over-arm, SWF pantograph rear-window wiper

Onetime member, plus former Technical Editor & Editor of Transporter Talk magazine
Volkswagen Type 2 Owners' Club (Great Britain)

http://www.vwt2oc.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: Brexit and it's influence on bus prices Reply with quote

Cmon now, don't think the tax havens will be subjected to restrictions IN or OUT of the EU!

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Brexit and it's influence on bus prices Reply with quote

it is also possible that some will see this, when combined with auction prices flattening, as a momentary plateau to bus prices, If so some parts stashes may come out of storage.
hearny13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Brexit and it's influence on bus prices Reply with quote

Very interesting reading you American guys talking about Brexit. Nobody has picked up that Cameron didnt have to call this referendum. He pledged this in his election manifesto to get back in as PM. Well it worked he got re-elected but found there was a bullet in the chamber on Thursday morning, as he played russian roulette with the UK. He empowered the voters, nobody else.

I voted with my head not my heart and accept the decision. Time will tell if its right or wrong.

On a more important note, I have an Westfalia Berlin Delux from Ohio. I cannot see the love for aircooled VW's dropping but I could see importing from USA doing so, due to exchange rate. Mind who knows as we live in uncertain times.

Keep the faith, Guys
HelmutofBuffalo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Brexit and it's influence on bus prices Reply with quote

hearny13 wrote:
Very interesting reading you American guys talking about Brexit. Nobody has picked up that Cameron didnt have to call this referendum. He pledged this in his election manifesto to get back in as PM. Well it worked he got re-elected but found there was a bullet in the chamber on Thursday morning, as he played russian roulette with the UK. He empowered the voters, nobody else.

I voted with my head not my heart and accept the decision. Time will tell if its right or wrong.

On a more important note, I have an Westfalia Berlin Delux from Ohio. I cannot see the love for aircooled VW's dropping but I could see importing from USA doing so, due to exchange rate. Mind who knows as we live in uncertain times.

Keep the faith, Guys

I am not familiar with global economics but for what it is worth I just sold a 1972 Bus shell (see my thread... Bay Window Shell) to a gentleman in the UK and he felt it was worth it to have it shipped as even project buses there would have cost him more.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: