Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help! spindle spacer install
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wingman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:00 pm    Post subject: Help! spindle spacer install Reply with quote

Hi,

I tried to put my original spindle spacers back to the new drop spindles. They don't go all the way in when I tried to press them by hand. Is it ok to leave them like this and hope bearings and seals will drive it in? Or is there a way to press them in without special tools?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thanks,
Michael[/img]
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! spindle spacer install Reply with quote

Heat the rings up in the oven to 400°F and then you should be able to just drop them in place. Have a brass hammer on hand in case they don't go all the way on immediately.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! spindle spacer install Reply with quote

That ring has to be fully seated or the bearings will get super loose in a few miles as it seats itself. Warm it up as WT's suggests.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
wingman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! spindle spacer install Reply with quote

Tried it with heat gun and no bueno. Going to give another try with plastic mallet (no brass hammer on hand) later.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! spindle spacer install Reply with quote

It's stuck on there now.
If you do not have a puller to pull it off.
Heat it with a propane torch.
Use a length of pipe and a Big Hammer to drive it home.

Good luck
Tcash
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! spindle spacer install Reply with quote

A few more ideas:

1. The book may have a "seating" torque for the bearings. Get everything installed and tighten the nut up to the seating torque and see if that pushes the spacer into place. If so just keep the pressure on until the spacer is all the way seated

2. You could also get a piece of pipe that would fit over the spindle and thus apply an even force to the bearing. Use a moderately heavy hammer, like 2-4 pounds to beat on the pipe. If you could find a washer that would protect the spacer from the pipe that would be a plus.

3. Get a long brass drift or aluminium drift (like a snowmobile axle) and use that to drive the spacer on, working around the spacer to keep it straight.
wingman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! spindle spacer install Reply with quote

Thanks for all the ideas. Another failed attempt with the mallet but this time it goes in a bit more. I think I will give brass drift a try since it's less destructive. Another question, I somehow remember the races flushed with the surface when I took them off. But it seems there will be a gap even if I manage to push it all the way in. Am I missing something here?

Thanks,
Michael
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! spindle spacer install Reply with quote

wingman wrote:
Tried it with heat gun and no bueno. Going to give another try with plastic mallet (no brass hammer on hand) later.

A heat gun isn't gonna do anything. You need to heat that race with a torch and get it super hot, it will slide right on then.

I don't know about the depth difference, what did the spindle manufacturer say?
’65 Deluxe Build
wingman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! spindle spacer install Reply with quote

I pulled up my original spindles and they have the same gaps as the new ones. I am really confused Crying or Very sad
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: Help! spindle spacer install Reply with quote

wingman wrote:
I pulled up my original spindles and they have the same gaps as the new ones. I am really confused Crying or Very sad

Same gaps meaning what? They are not pressed on all the way?
Tcash
wingman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! spindle spacer install Reply with quote

It seems heat and hit with brass punch is a go. But for one side there is like this < 1mm gap b/w rear end of the spacer and the spindle surface while the other side went all the way in. I wonder whether it will cause any issues?

@tcash the gap i mentioned earlier is the one at the front b/w spacer and spindle stem. I did find some online photos with the same gap.

Thanks,
Michael
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! spindle spacer install Reply with quote

Run it. What's a mm.
Tcash
wingman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! spindle spacer install Reply with quote

1 millimeter Very Happy
If no objection I am going to go ahead and finish my front end tonight Twisted Evil
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! spindle spacer install Reply with quote

Do jack up the bus every week for the next while and see if the wheel wiggles, if that seats down further by itself the bearings will need readjusting.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
wingman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:12 am    Post subject: Re: Help! spindle spacer install Reply with quote

Thanks all! I have installed the front brakes and they look good! Couldn't have done it without your help.

@busdaddy Thanks for the tips. Now I can see your concern about the gap. I will keep an eye on it.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Help! spindle spacer install Reply with quote

You don't even need to jack the front up to test for looseness of the bearing. Just grap the top of the tire and give it a good shake in and out. You should feel just a tad of play but not much. If you find that the play increases day to day then go back and tighten the nut a bit more.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: