Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Charging issues
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
p horvath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:30 pm    Post subject: Charging issues Reply with quote

bone stock 62 beetle. still 6 volt. i replaced the aftermarket voltage regulator with an nos one. when i started the car the generator light came on and stayed on while the car was running.i switched back to the aftermarket regulator and now it too causes the light to come on. revving the car makes no difference. any suggestions?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: charging issues Reply with quote

Maybe a wire is still disconnected?
Is the unit grounded through the mounting well?
Luft kühl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: charging issues Reply with quote

Have you tried polarizing the generator ?

http://speedyjim.net/htm/gen.htm
catahoula lou
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: charging issues Reply with quote

Sometimes and coincidentally (this did happen to me a few months ago when I did some topside engine work), the generator brushes slowly get hung up in their holders and stop making sufficient contact to generate electricity.

I went through all the recommended and to-be-recommended solutions until I got curious and pushed the brushes onto the armature. Simple fix, just leave engine off while you do it...

Best,

Thom
1 1958 pantina red Lowlight Ghia (the "Chili Pepper")

Still looking for:
(1) My Dad's 1955 356 (he raced it amateur-class at Riverside and other courses during 1950s),
(2) My parent's black 1955 hardtop bug (CA license plate FWC 201 or FWG 201), and
(3) My parent's agave green 1957 ragtop bug (CA license plate LFK 734).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
herbie1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:19 pm    Post subject: Re: charging issues Reply with quote

How was the situation BEFORE you made your modification? I mean, before substitution was all OK and something could be up to your operations?
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: charging issues Reply with quote

catahoula lou wrote:
Sometimes and coincidentally (this did happen to me a few months ago when I did some topside engine work), the generator brushes slowly get hung up in their holders and stop making sufficient contact to generate electricity.

I went through all the recommended and to-be-recommended solutions until I got curious and pushed the brushes onto the armature. Simple fix, just leave engine off while you do it...

If this happened, you usually need to remove the brushes and clean out their holders so that it doesn't happen again. Sometimes they get gummed up with brush or other dust.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: charging issues Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
catahoula lou wrote:

If this happened, you usually need to remove the brushes and clean out their holders so that it doesn't happen again. Sometimes they get gummed up with brush or other dust.

Or.. if you installed new brushes, they are poor quality and don't slide well. I bought a brand new Genuine Bosch generator a few years ago. The darn light on the dash kept coming on. If I pushed on the brushes, the light would go out. I finally yanked the brand new generator out. The new brushes did not slide in the brush holders at all. The brush springs were really thin, cheap and non-effective in holding the brushes in place. I was pretty disappointed with how poorly and cheaply made this "new" generator was made. I had an old 70's Bosch generator w/a bad armature. I took the still good brushes out of it and it's brush springs and installed these used parts into the new generator. That fixed it. The brushes slid so much better and easier in the brush holders.

When I compared the new brush springs with the old, original ones, the quality was night and day better with the old one. Thicker metal and it was much tighter and stiffer than the new one.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
p horvath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Charging issues Reply with quote

I polarized the generator and it seemed to work. the light goes out after start up.
herbie1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:02 am    Post subject: Re: Charging issues Reply with quote

I suggest to read what happened. P horvath has ONLY substituted the regulator.

So my question (unanswered) is stil: which situation BEFORE installing the new regulator?
flyboy161
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: Charging issues Reply with quote

Herbie, I believe he was replacing a regulator from an auto parts store with one that was original equipment. No fault with it, just the correct piece of equipment from close to me he year of his car.

Sometimes aftermarket parts do not look right on a properly restored car..

The 1964...Diamond in the rough
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=612776

My 1958 Morocco Bug-
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=611483
p horvath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Charging issues Reply with quote

the aftermarket volt regulator worked fine but was not correct for the car.
even though it was an American bosch v.reg it didn't look the part so
I went with the nos german bosch v.reg. this is a low mile all original car
so it needed correct parts.
herbie1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: Charging issues Reply with quote

Normally new generator regulator, especially the better Germany NOS regulator, when installed.... simply do not work!

The issue is: at start, DF should be shorted to ground, to initiate the voltage generation process.

But a NOS regulator has been sitting for 10 and over years with the field points in touch, and the contact is very erratic.

A NOS regulator has to be opened, also if it looks as new, contacts cleaned, and, while generator is running, moved with finger to have a good "wake up" of their conductance.

(the same when installing new distributor points)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: