Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

DJ's Oct '58 Coupe - Motor '57
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: DJ's Oct '58 Coupe - Motor '57 Reply with quote

djway3474 wrote:
Satisfied? NO! No way! Nope! ............ and Awe hell no!

At least you got something. Laughing
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:49 am    Post subject: Re: DJ's Oct '58 Coupe - Motor '57 Reply with quote

Still need to stitch down some corners and remove a few wrinkles but the front and rear seats are basically finished.
Those front seats are difficult. Every section of the seat has some weird angle to it, and looks odd out of the car.
I got the chrome pieces back that I had plated again and they are very nice so the windows will be back on the list of to doooos.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The back seat is just sitting in place. I added some visual interest to the back seats.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oldbusboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: DJ's Oct '58 Coupe - Motor '57 Reply with quote

Interested in seeing the LED taillights working. Any pictures?

Trevor
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:42 pm    Post subject: Re: DJ's Oct '58 Coupe - Motor '57 Reply with quote

HerrLowlight wrote:
Interested in seeing the LED taillights working. Any pictures?

Trevor

No pictures. Not really brighter than a nice bulb but they should be a lot cooler for the same lumens.

Well my rechromed chrome for the second time was a waste of money. The new chrome shop did a beautiful finish but apparently the first shop so flattened out the rear window chrome that to get the chrome strip to conform to the large curves the chrome could not flex enough and shattered. It is just going to stay that way until one day I can scrape up some money to fix it. I am very down to say the least.

I used tire install lubricant to put the front and rear glass in. I ran the string around twice, lubed it all up and pressed it down. With hardly any pressure I pulled the string and they were in, only a few minutes each.
I then had to work and work and work to get the chrome to get anywhere near the shape of the window. Probably over 14 hours of slow methodical working. The front chrome I used only about 4 hours of the total.
I test fit the quarter windows and that does not look like a fun job at all. Watching the KGPR video the last look he gives the camera I think says it all.
Wish me luck.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 1:00 am    Post subject: Re: DJ's Oct '58 Coupe - Motor '57 Reply with quote

The quarter window rubber kept rolling off so I taped it on one side. Worked great

the key to seating these is to keep the inner lip inside the chrome tucked down. Hammer, tuck, hammer, tuck until seated.

Only one quarter window to put in and then I can get to the adjustment of the door glass. I am happy with the polishing results on the glass, could be better but so far from where it started.
Now to just get the rear window chrome problem resolved.
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:16 am    Post subject: Re: DJ's Oct '58 Coupe - Motor '57 Reply with quote

I installed the last quarter window.
I have not had much time for the Ghia as my daily driver 914 FI has fritzed on me. I was trying to fix a cut out and I did something. Now it just pours gas through the injectors. Just a few minutes run time can eat a quarter tank.
I know nothing about FI so I am just downloading articles and trying to test one component at a time. Found some good size vacuum leaks and my gut is telling me the PO fattened it way up to compensate so I am probably dealing with multiple issues. Everytime I get one item resolved another shows up.
Tomorrow I go back to step one and work my way through the checklist.
I would really rather be adjusting my door glass so the windows would be finished.
This Ghia is close to a test drive. biggest hurdle is fixing that rear window c channel chrome. Twisted Evil
Down but not out of the race. Never surrender!
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:14 am    Post subject: Re: DJ's Oct '58 Coupe - Motor '57 Reply with quote

I finished up the driver and passenger door pulls. Loren supplied me with the leather strap, rivets and chrome beauty parts. I made the metal strips the strap rivets to and the underside metal part for the passenger door pull. I painted that the Stonebeige as all the other metal parts in the interior are done the same. The original door pull appeared to be glued in the pictures I have seen but I decided to sew it instead.

Check another project off the list Smile
CiderGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:59 am    Post subject: Re: DJ's Oct '58 Coupe - Motor '57 Reply with quote

Very nicely done! As always your attention to detail is always top notch.

1970 Karmann Ghia Coupe
1973 Karmann Ghia Coupe - Project car for sale
1970 Karmann Ghia Convertible (Body off restoration)

Timing is everything
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: DJ's Oct '58 Coupe - Motor '57 Reply with quote

I started laying out the carpet today.
Since this car had little carpet in the cabin I decided to just go with a nice carpet in a color that went well with the Dolphin Blue. I did use a carpet that had the same texture as the original but I decided to not go with the light gray.
I will trim everything to exact fit then sew on the binding.
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:02 am    Post subject: Re: DJ's Oct '58 Coupe - Motor '57 Reply with quote

I switched the window scrapers from the lowlight style to the 60s style. After all those hours polishing the glass, and seeing how the original system was built, I decided to use the later scrapers as they cover up the inner metal strip.
After this picture I did install the window trim chrome. The screws used to hold the chrome on is one of the absolute worst design fails on the car.
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: DJ's Oct '58 Coupe - Motor '57 Reply with quote

All the glass is in and adjusted. Just one problem. The press fit door glass is not holding in place when I roll the window down. It seems the new rubber is much to thin that fits between the glass and channel. Just a year or two later they ran the bolts through the glass to hold them them in place, now I just need to figure out a way to get the glass to hold when rolling down. I crimped as much as I dared on the channel.
Any other ideas?
Loren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: DJ's Oct '58 Coupe - Motor '57 Reply with quote

Go to your local auto glass shop and they should have the rubber for the window chanel in different thicknesses. You should be able to use a thicker piece of rubber to keep it in place. Your Ghia is looking great!
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: DJ's Oct '58 Coupe - Motor '57 Reply with quote

Thanks. I am looking for information about the order of the Windlace assembly. Is it Windlace first, metal retainer over that, and then the carpet tucks into the metal part? Is the metal part exposed? If so what color is it?
danny gabbard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: DJ's Oct '58 Coupe - Motor '57 Reply with quote

http://www.mcmaster.com/#rubber-u-channels/=13f7xoy worth a try , Or how about makeing shims from sheet metal to fill gap ??
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: DJ's Oct '58 Coupe - Motor '57 Reply with quote

djway3474 wrote:
Thanks. I am looking for information about the order of the Windlace assembly. Is it Windlace first, metal retainer over that, and then the carpet tucks into the metal part? Is the metal part exposed? If so what color is it?

Couple of topics on the subject in the "How Tos" Dwayne:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=212033
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7618826
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: DJ's Oct '58 Coupe - Motor '57 Reply with quote

danny gabbard wrote:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#rubber-u-channels/=13f7xoy worth a try , Or how about makeing shims from sheet metal to fill gap ??

Hey Danny, The areas where the four bolts hold the glass channel to the lift mechanism which have a recess. I have been thinking about cutting some 20 gauge shims and sticking them in the recessed area. I would then make a slightly longer bolt that could apply pressure to the shim yet still lock out. A tricky proposition but hopefully the shim would spread the forces enough to avoid a break.
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: DJ's Oct '58 Coupe - Motor '57 Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
djway3474 wrote:

Couple of topics on the subject in the "How Tos" Dwayne:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=212033
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7618826

thanks John
Late last night I did find a photo with all the layers shown. It was a later version with the board under the carpet and of course my car originally had a rubber mat. It appears the metal retainers were black and that is what I painted mine so another project checked off the list.
I ran out of carpet binding so as soon as I can pick up some more I only need to bind a few pieces and then apply glue where needed.
I am going to make the board for under the front hood and carpet that also, just to make it look pretty Smile
Hopefully I will get the rear window chrome back this week, figure out the door glass situation and then I can put the seats in.
I have to make a final decision on what type of seat belt I am going to install. I have spent a lot of time playing in cars off road and I just don't feel comfortable without belts. Time to start flipping coins LOL.
I think I finally figured out the problem on the 914 FI system. Man was that a thrash, going from zero knowledge to rebuilding the system LOL. This should allow me to get more time on the Ghia.
Thanks for all the help my fellow Sambanistos Cool
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: DJ's Oct '58 Coupe - Motor '57 Reply with quote

The interior I made is mostly in now. The door panels will not go on until I am finished with the exterior chrome as I am mounting it in a different way than stock.
Not perfect but I am pleased.

djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: DJ's Oct '58 Coupe - Motor '57 Reply with quote

I made an under dash cover and carpeted it to hide all the wiring

I debated the next thing for quite a while. In the end I don't feel comfortable driving without seatbelts. I installed 3 point belts with as little done as possible if ever it was desired to return to no belts at all.

The latest chrome shop promised to have repaired the rear window chrome in a week. That is now 3 weeks. Crying or Very sad
calexican
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: DJ's Oct '58 Coupe - Motor '57 Reply with quote

Really looking nice, I've been enjoying your thread because I have the same car, year and color, so I dream on. One suggestion I have for your interior would be getting the rubber tunnel mat you can get from Wolfsburg West, fits perfect, a little long, but you can trim it and it hides under the back seat. I put seat belts in mine too, smart choice. Looking forward to seeing the chrome!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Jump to:
Page 17 of 22

Jump to: