Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

36 HP oil strainer gaskets
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rebel2324
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:41 pm    Post subject: 36 HP oil strainer gaskets Reply with quote

Am I missing something or are most places advertising 111-198-031 as 36 hp gaskets when they are actually 40 hp gaskets? And if this is the case where are you getting your gaskets from? Is there a better quality gasket available then the paper ones for these engines? Thanks.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Snort
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 36 HP oil strainer gaskets Reply with quote

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111115488

Take care when removing the screen and you can make them last for several oil changes.

As far as other materials, I had one experience on a 40hp with silicone gaskets and they fell apart. I recommend sticking with paper.
Rebel2324
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 36 HP oil strainer gaskets Reply with quote

I previously ordered these
http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC-111-198-031
and assumed they were the right ones since they were advertised for 36 hp but they are for the 40hp. Didn't want to go through the same thing. Thanks.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rebel2324
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 36 HP oil strainer gaskets Reply with quote

Was also wondering whether there should be cap nuts on the studs. I'm trying to reduce the amount of oil leaks.
3foldfolly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 36 HP oil strainer gaskets Reply with quote

I bought these, haven't tried them yet.
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111115488SI
Snort
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 36 HP oil strainer gaskets Reply with quote

I've had cap nuts on other motors and they seem to work pretty well, but they just don't look right to me on a 36hp and with good gaskets and copper washers you should be fine with standard nuts.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 36 HP oil strainer gaskets Reply with quote

Rebel2324 wrote:
Was also wondering whether there should be cap nuts on the studs. I'm trying to reduce the amount of oil leaks.

Not originally but as far as I know you can use them.

My non-cap nuts don't leak anything noticeable though... I think you have bad copper seals or another issue.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: