Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Greenhorn needs 091 tranny advice
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BikerThug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daniel,

Okay, the starter question is solved.

Here's another one (since you're tuned into the type 4 motors). Let say I purchased a type 4 motor from a local bus being parted out. Obviously I would rebuild it, - but, since I am wanting to plug the thing into a customized Manx-type frame I'm having built, like this picture...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

... would I want to take that type 4 motor and conduct a "type 4 motor upright conversion" as outlined at the following website w/ a fanshroud and everything (follow link)?

http://www.aircooledtech.com/type4_upright_conversion/

It seems for a dune buggy, this conversion makes sense.

Please advise,

-BT
Daniel G
Crazy Amish Guy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, it will work fine with the stock cooling in a buggy. However, with upright cooling you will get better departure angle at the rear and have more exhaust options. IMO the upright shroud looks better, too. If you decide to go this route, I suggest getting the Upright Conversion manual Nate mentions in the site (by Joe Cali). If you don't feel like doing all that work yourself, you could just get a DTM from Jake Raby. However, there's nothing wrong with the Cali conversion, if you have the time to do it.

Daniel

1966 Beetle

1971 Panel

1978 Westfalia Camper

Transmissions For Dummies
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BikerThug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daniel,

I've ordered the book from Joe Cali. As for the "time" factor, - well, for this project, I'm going to take the time necessary to do this thing right.

Heck, I recently took a welding class before starting this project in an effort to be fully prepared. The pic below shows what my welding beads look like now (I hope to improve).

Anyway, I'm tired of lining someone elses pocket because I don't have the patience (meaning "time") to learn & "do it right."

Okay, down off my soapbox.

-BT
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK and whose ad is that? no link can't see a name either..

my golden question: IS there still a 10Degree type-II tranny kit available on the retail market?
I've browsed Mckenzie's site, and they don't list one forsale.. and I'm itching to put my Diesel vanagon R&P tranny in the Turbo Diesel baja so I can spend all my change on larger rear tires. .
well that might be next winter's off season R&R.. but have to start acquiring the parts anyways.

Daniel G wrote:
Pretty much any of these...

The mid mount and the bellhousing mount (if you have a cage to mount it too) are the best, or the mounts that SKidmark used in his build.

On my next rail, I will probably use the mid-mount, the bellhousing mount, and the part of the 10-degree mount that goes on the bellhousing end of the tranny(with urethane mounts on all of them). I'm sure that would be overkill, but you can never have to much overkill... Laughing

Daniel
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CarbonUnit2015
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Greenhorn needs 091 tranny advice Reply with quote

Old topic, but thought I'd post the answer, since I need one and read about it here.

http://www.kartek.com/parts/vw-bus-transaxle-10-degree-urethane-mount-urethane-mount-kit.html

Also:
http://www.mooreparts.com/vw-bus-transmission-to-vw-bug-mount-lowers-nose-cone-10-degrees/

Some on eBay too.

Thank you to thesamba.
Team T&A
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Greenhorn needs 091 tranny advice Reply with quote

Hello guys do you know if you have to separate the bell housing to get the 10 degree kit on a 091? Shocked Shocked TIA
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:28 am    Post subject: Re: Greenhorn needs 091 tranny advice Reply with quote

No you do not have to separate the bell housing from the trans to install the 10° mount. You have to drill holes through the sides of the bell housing to bolt the saddle to the bell housing. But it should be attached to the trans to mock the assembly up to ensure it is positioned right before you drill those holes. You MAY need to replace the studs from the trans case into the bottom of the bell housing with longer studs to accomodate the saddle plate thickness.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: