Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Deleting Hardtop Sunroof
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
justinshutt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:47 pm    Post subject: Deleting Hardtop Sunroof Reply with quote

Hey all,

Is it at all possible to delete the hardtop sunroof on my car? I have a 64 Beetle and quite honestly, I'd rather have a hardtop than a sunroof. Can I just permanently fix the sunroof panel to the car and use some body filler on the sunroof cutout, or would I need to install a whole hardtop clip?
vwinnovator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Deleting Hardtop Sunroof Reply with quote

better to weld on a roof section.

filler will cracking around the sunroof seam as the body flexes driving it.
vwtrey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Deleting Hardtop Sunroof Reply with quote

Some people desire factory sunroof cars. If you aren't emotionally attached to this car, consider trading for one without a sunroof?
justinshutt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:49 am    Post subject: Re: Deleting Hardtop Sunroof Reply with quote

vwtrey wrote:
Some people desire factory sunroof cars. If you aren't emotionally attached to this car, consider trading for one without a sunroof?

I honestly don't feel like tracking down another car. I got a swinging deal on this one and finding another is just time and cash I don't have, haha.
justinshutt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:50 am    Post subject: Re: Deleting Hardtop Sunroof Reply with quote

vwinnovator wrote:
better to weld on a roof section.

filler will cracking around the sunroof seam as the body flexes driving it.

Yea I thought about that, but I wanted to see if there was a way to do it without grafting. But if push comes to shove, it's always an option.
Air-Cooled Head
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Deleting Hardtop Sunroof Reply with quote

justinshutt wrote:

Yea I thought about that, but I wanted to see if there was a way to do it without grafting. But if push comes to shove, it's always an option.

If you have to resort to grafting, why not a ragtop? Or do you just not like all that sunshine? Cool

Unfortunately, you're on the left coast. I just cut out the roof on a 66 for a ragtop graft. Sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Deleting Hardtop Sunroof Reply with quote

Shoot, I'd wait a year before I see another one-year-only sunroof car like a '64 here in Boise. If it were closer- it would be mine and you could seek out your one of a million hard roof bugs.

You do realize though if you got a great deal on that car it means you will take a dive on it if you fill in that roof? Great deal cancelled, one more early bug devalued...

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Deleting Hardtop Sunroof Reply with quote

In answer to you original question . . . sure you can put filler around the sunroof.
It positively WILL crack!!!

You can weld it closed and then put filler on it.
That too positively WILL crack!!!

Is there some reason ya can't just leave the sunroof closed?!?!?!? Confused
Please tell me you want to fill it in because the sunroof leaks . . . we can fix that!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: