Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 72, 73, 74 ... 88, 89, 90  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobnorman
Samba Newfoundlander

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand Reply with quote

kiwighia68 wrote:
I've been away in Sydney the last few days to attend the screening of the movie of my book, Shepherds & Butchers, at the Sydney Film Festival. First things first: Sydney is a truly great city. The only other city I've ever seen that is of this quality in everything - from infrastructure to buildings to services to everything - is Hamburg.

I slipped away to pay a visit to Boris Orazem at Vintage Vee-Dub Supplies. (My wife insists that I structured the whole three days around that visit. Mmm. I'm not into denying indisputable facts.) Parts to make your mouth water. Advice to suit. Sydney quality. Fixed my problem with the turn signal switch in seconds. And I found a roof carrier to take home with me.

I read a book: Why do we enjoy working with our hands? by Matthew Crawford.

"... craftsmanship has been said to consist simply in the desire to do something well, for its own sake."

"You give it your best, learn from your mistakes, and the next time get a little closer to the image you started with in your head."

"Craftsmanship means dwelling on the task for a long time and going deeply into it, because you want to get it right."

Now I know why so many Sambanista take so much care to get the details of their restorations just right.

That's "Shop Class as Soulcraft", with another title for a different market. Brilliant read! And yes, it does explain a lot!!

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=289807
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand Reply with quote

Look what the postman brought me today: No, not the birds (African guinea fowl):

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The number of the tool matches my set, which I now know dates to 1954 or 1955.

3 Hazet tools to go, with one already sourced but not finalised.

I have 210 000 of final editing to do today before I can work on my next project on the Ghia, which is to fabricate my own console in the style of Rick Pereira's.
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand Reply with quote

Picked up another Hazet tool - thanks to Evan. I still need the Hazet equivalents of the 2 above.

I installed the roofrack, woodrim steering wheel, wooden gear shift knob and Porsche seats. The car is slowly taking on the appearance I want for it. Stock with some reversible custom touches.

kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand Reply with quote

Another item off the customising list:

I still have to adjust the louvres.
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:45 am    Post subject: Re: Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand Reply with quote

If mine wasn't a cabriolet, I'd dearly like to have those accessories.
They look great!
Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:42 am    Post subject: Re: Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand Reply with quote

I went to see the film of KiwiGhia's book 'Shepherds and Butchers' yesterday at the Edinburgh Film Festival.
Excellent. Tense, brutal, gripping. Loved it!
Deserves to do well, if you get the chance to see it, go.

Stop dead photo links! Post photos to The Samba Gallery!
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:50 am    Post subject: Re: Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand Reply with quote

mcdonaldneal wrote:
I went to see the film of KiwiGhia's book 'Shepherds and Butchers' yesterday at the Edinburgh Film Festival.
Excellent. Tense, brutal, gripping. Loved it!
Deserves to do well, if you get the chance to see it, go.

I will...I've read the book but I don't know how well it will translate to the screen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
mcdonaldneal wrote:
I went to see the film of KiwiGhia's book 'Shepherds and Butchers' yesterday at the Edinburgh Film Festival. Excellent. Tense, brutal, gripping. Loved it! Deserves to do well, if you get the chance to see it, go.

I will...I've read the book but I don't know how well it will translate to the screen.

Thanks, Phil, for the comments and the review you posted elsewhere. The film has now screened at festivals in Berlin, Sydney, Shanghai and Edinburgh. Next screening before general release will be at the Film by the Sea festival in Vlissingen in September.

I'm working on the Afrikaans version of the book this week. That reminds me of the differences between these two art forms. A novelist has time and many pages to manipulate the reader's mind while a film-maker has only 90 minutes. The result is that the movie only has time for a superficial portrayal of the main theme and has to be less subtle in approach.

I like subtlety, as in the lines and curves of your Ghias, but movie-makers use tanks and bulldozers, I think.

I'm saying no more than that a film producer told me after the Sydney screening that he has never met a writer who was satisfied with the movie based on his or her book.

As long as they make money for me, who am I to complain, especially since all my resto costs have been covered by a payment they made last year?
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand Reply with quote

kiwighia68 wrote:
John Moxon wrote:
mcdonaldneal wrote:
I went to see the film of KiwiGhia's book 'Shepherds and Butchers' yesterday at the Edinburgh Film Festival. Excellent. Tense, brutal, gripping. Loved it! Deserves to do well, if you get the chance to see it, go.

Thanks, Phil, for the comments and the review you posted elsewhere. The film has now screened at festivals in Berlin, Sydney, Shanghai and Edinburgh. Next screening before general release will be at the Film by the Sea festival in Vlissingen in September.

I'm working on the Afrikaans version of the book this week. That reminds me of the differences between these two art forms. A novelist has time and many pages to manipulate the reader's mind while a film-maker has only 90 minutes. The result is that the movie only has time for a superficial portrayal of the main theme and has to be less subtle in approach.

I like subtlety, as in the lines and curves of your Ghias, but movie-makers use tanks and bulldozers, I think.

I'm saying no more than that a film producer told me after the Sydney screening that he has never met a writer who was satisfied with the movie based on his or her book.

As long as they make money for me, who am I to complain, especially since all my resto costs have been covered by a payment they made last year?

Can't argue with that. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand Reply with quote

I'm pretty certain my Ghia needs a new ignition switch. Since I'll be in London next week, I'll go a-hunting there for an original German VW part.

But where?
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand Reply with quote

Chris, I've posted on the KGOC UK Facebook page. I'll let you know if I get any response! Phil

Stop dead photo links! Post photos to The Samba Gallery!
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand Reply with quote

mcdonaldneal wrote:
Chris, I've posted on the KGOC UK Facebook page. I'll let you know if I get any response! Phil

Thanks Phil. I'm bringing you the book I promised plus a surprise component that fits your car but not mine. We're counting down the days.
swavananda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand Reply with quote

kiwighia68 wrote:
Picked up another Hazet tool - thanks to Evan. I still need the Hazet equivalents of the 2 above.

I installed the roofrack, woodrim steering wheel, wooden gear shift knob and Porsche seats. The car is slowly taking on the appearance I want for it. Stock with some reversible custom touches.

Looks like you are having fun accessorizing. I haven't gone down the Hazet rabbit hole yet.......seems like you when you start there's no bottom....

Have you checked out these yet;

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=156061
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand Reply with quote

swavananda wrote:
... Looks like you are having fun accessorizing. I haven't gone down the Hazet rabbit hole yet.......seems like you when you start there's no bottom...Have you checked out these yet;

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=156061

Indeed. I "saved" an incomplete Hazet Tourist set - like picking up stray kittens, another weakness I have.

There are a few people collecting (hoarding?) large numbers of Hazet tools, often half a dozen or more of the same tool. But will they part with one? It's like asking them to give one of their children away.
carl4x4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:59 am    Post subject: Re: Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand Reply with quote

The car's coming along nicely
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:21 am    Post subject: Re: Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand Reply with quote

carl4x4 wrote:
The car's coming along nicely

Thanks Carl. I'm posting this from Lerici overlooking La Spezia and glad our Ghias were designed by an Italian, not only for their subtle Italian style, but also for the fact that the Italians are the world's best road builders - ever since the days of Julius Caesar. Our cars were made to be driven on roads ilke these.

I have two or three small tasks left before my Emiko project comes to a close and I suppose I'd better bring the story to an end too.

Excerpt from the novel, Saving Emiko –

Vaishna’s husband answered the phone. De Villiers spoke from the back of his throat to ensure that the man he had beaten up not so long ago wouldn’t recognise his voice. ‘I need to speak to Detective Constable Veerasinghe.’
‘Yes?’ she said.
De Villiers kept it short. ‘The ship’s been delayed. No berth in the harbour; so we’ll have to put everything back twenty-four hours.’
‘That’s just as well,’ Vaishna said. ’The Commissioner is still in the city and wants to see me tomorrow morning.’
De Villiers sighed. ‘I’d forgotten about that.’ He paused, not knowing how to warn her to be careful, but she anticipated what he was thinking.
‘I know what to do,’ she said. ‘Deny, deny, deny.’
That won’t do, De Villiers thought. Women have a way to see through superficial lies.
‘And I’ll tell her my husband has agreed to attend counselling at the Women’s Refuge,’ she added, putting his concerns to bed.
‘Alright then, I’ll see you tomorrow evening at my house with the others so that we can go over the details of our operation.’
Vaishna had the last word. ‘We’d better get this operation going because the curry isn’t going to hold much longer.’

De Villiers drove down to the Bucklands Beach Motel to fetch Matt, Anonymous and Whatever, who preferred to be called Sandy. The soldiers took the back seat and Sandy hopped into the passenger seat next to De Villiers, dressed in black from head to toe, and wearing Doc Martin boots. There was a faint smell of aftershave about her. English Leather, De Villiers thought. It definitely couldn’t be from one of the soldiers, De Villiers knew. A soldier would never use aftershave before a battle. In Wellington Sandy's perfume had been something soft and feminine, and Vaishna had told him it was Anaïs Anaïs by Cacharel.
De Villiers shook his head and drove them home for dinner with his family.

‘I have to take Emiko with me tomorrow morning,’ he told Emma when they were in bed.
‘You’re not going to involve her in the operation, are you?’ Emma whispered. ‘Wherever you and those guys go, there’s fighting and shooting and people get hurt. The last time you got shot. You can’t involve Emiko in your operations.’
‘I have to,’ De Villiers insisted. ‘All she has to do is to identify the men who abducted her and kept her and her daughter prisoner.’
‘Why?’
De Villiers turned his back towards his wife and said, ‘Because you’re right. People are going to get hurt, and I want to make sure it’s the right ones.’

De Villiers approached the quay while the ship was still docking. He had Emiko as a pillion passenger on his motorbike. ‘Let’s go and have a chat with the captain,’ he said.
The captain turned out to be a Greek who spoke fluent English.
De Villiers showed him his appointment certificate. ‘There is going to be a raid on your ship by the Drugs Squad before noon,’ he told the mariner. He explained where the contraband had been concealed.
‘I have nothing to do with the cargo,’ the captain said. ‘My job is just to navigate the ship from port to port. It’s the stevedores who load and discharge the cargo.’
‘I know,’ De Villiers said. ‘But the Drugs Squad are likely to arrest you and the rest of the crew.’
‘What do you want me to do? Why are you telling me this?’
‘I want you to cooperate with the police. Tell them everything you know, and give them all the shipping documents immediately they ask for them. I’ll see to it that you are released promptly.’
The captain wasn’t born yesterday and sensed that there had to be more. ‘And then?’
‘And then I want you to take this woman and her child back to Japan,’ De Villiers said. ‘Together with their car.’
He ignored the frown on Emiko’s forehead.
‘No problem,’ the captain said.
‘Without documents,’ De Villiers added. ‘No passports, no bills of lading, no export documents.’
The captain looked directly at Emiko and smiled. ‘No problem.’

-----

Final episode at the end of the month. I promise.
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:18 am    Post subject: Re: Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand Reply with quote

kiwighia68 wrote:

-----

Final episode at the end of the month. I promise.

Cool
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand Reply with quote

A classic car event in South Africa indavertently? feaures 2 Ghias, one of which is a lowlight.

http://www.iol.co.za/motoring/bored-this-sunday-like-classic-cars-2050695
Downunder60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand Reply with quote

Started reading your thread at 8am, looking for a recommendation for a panel beater. 4 hours later, several tasks left undone, but time very well spent, I am on page 30. Regretfully, I must leave for work, but as the man said, "I'll be back."
The information on this thread is amazing, even though it often feels overwhelming to a DIY newbie like me. Confused The camaraderie between all the posters is great, and I look forward to the time I get my own project Ghia up and running. I am looking at getting in a California car, hopefully one with as little rust as possible, and doing the bodywork prep myself.
Very steep learning curve ahead........
TheFop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:17 am    Post subject: Re: Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand Reply with quote

Downunder60 wrote:
Started reading your thread at 8am, looking for a recommendation for a panel beater. 4 hours later, several tasks left undone, but time very well spent, I am on page 30. Regretfully, I must leave for work, but as the man said, "I'll be back."
The information on this thread is amazing, even though it often feels overwhelming to a DIY newbie like me. Confused The camaraderie between all the posters is great, and I look forward to the time I get my own project Ghia up and running. I am looking at getting in a California car, hopefully one with as little rust as possible, and doing the bodywork prep myself.
Very steep learning curve ahead........

If you need any advice or support etc locally just say the word as there are a few of us in Auckland with Ghias and would be more than happy to help with advice, parts and moral support and I'm sure I can speak for all the local Ghia owners in that we'd be happy to show you our cars and projects.

Did you check this local car for sale? Its not mine and I haven't personally seen it but may be a good place to start your hunt even if its just to familiarise yourself with whats out there. http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/volkswagen/auction-1130600310.htm

Also look out for the New Zealand Ghia owners register on Facebook.
63 New Zealand Spec Beetle - Going Baja!
86 T25 Westfalia - Family Fun car
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 72, 73, 74 ... 88, 89, 90  Next
Jump to:
Page 73 of 90

Jump to: