Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

68 Baja build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Baja build Reply with quote

dustymojave wrote:
Show Bar? That's one of those looks -like-a-roll-bar deals made of thin wall exhaust tube pickup truck wannabe's put in their trucks to look "tough". What you installed is properly called a "ROLL CAGE" and deserves being called that.

I was looking for a specific item in the 2016 EMPI catalog this evening. When I scrolled past the roll cages, I noticed they called them "Show Bars". Probably so that if anybody rolls their Baja Bug with an EMPI cage and gets hurt being stupid, the lawsuit will be at least partly defended against because they don't advertise it as protection. More of the bleeding heart ambulance chasing legal weenies taking over our society.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dirty761
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:08 am    Post subject: Re: 68 Baja build Reply with quote

Is that an Empi cage you have used? I have one for my Baja Build an I think its very good. I've measured its wall thickness and diameter of tube used. Apart from the fact its seamless its nearly conforms to motorsport cage requirements. It probably would have passed in the 80's/90's. A bug body is pretty strong as it is. I got hung up on the fact that it was too light and only a 'show cage' for a while but now I'm happy enough to use it.

Has anyone crash tested them? Sad I'm sure someone has rolled as car using one.
Outatime
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Baja build Reply with quote

Yes it is a Empi part. I also agree with Dusty that it's most likely a liability question as to why they are listed as show bar. In the 80's when trucks started installing roll bars from Hobrecht, they had a single, double and a triple bar. After 6 months we got a letter from Hobrecht telling us we had to stamp on the invoice, show bar not a rollbar.
Dirty761
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:51 am    Post subject: Re: 68 Baja build Reply with quote

Thats good to know, I plan on building something similar an using the Empi cage.
Outatime
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Baja build Reply with quote

Been scrambling to get the Baja running. I was able to take the boys for a ride yesterday. It has a stumble off idle, ran great driving down the Highway at 45mph, but after turning and slowing, it started loading up. I pulled the carb (Weber DFV) and will go through it this week. I'm hoping float level is off.

Today was the dirtiest job so far. Sanded the underside, combination of rust and years of dirt. I did my best to inhale it all.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Outatime
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: 68 Baja build Reply with quote

Skipped to the end of the project. I have some small stuff to finish up, but car is up and running and getting ready for the first trip to the Sand Dunes.

Picked up wheels and tires for both street and sand dunes. 15X5 with 235/75/15 GY Wranglers. Rear 31x10.50x15 on 15x8 reverse offset. Desert tracks on 15x10 Aluminum wheels 2" BS

First attempt at painting a car or using a spray gun or wet sanding or wheeling. You get the pic...

Car has an engine cage, but I'm welding a receiver hitch on now to carry a bike rack.

I got some "testing" done around the neighborhood this past weekend. I can't get the hang of the skat shifter (dragstick) 3-2 downshift are impossible, finding 1st is difficult for me. For a temp fix I just ordered the 12 Empi t handle. I'll try to work with the skat when I get some more time.

I have some not so original graphics to install tonight. "53" My wife and kids insisted since it's white (I know not the right shade of white) but rustoleum doesn't have a wide selection of shades. Smile
bullnerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Baja build Reply with quote

Really nice job dude!

Congrats to you and your boys!
Outatime
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Baja build Reply with quote

Thank you Bullnerd.

Looking back to where it started, I now understand the look my wife gave me when I brought it home. I only saw a cool finished product, she saw a outdated and worn old car.

Got the graphics on tonight. The kids are very excited.

dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Baja build Reply with quote

To some people, the car they bought new last week is an outdated and worn old car.

Yours looked better than the average when you got it. It looks even better now.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Outatime
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Baja build Reply with quote

Starting to get the hang of the sand thing. I've continued to drop the rear tire psi. Started at 10, now I'm down to 5 psi. Sure is climbing better. I managed to get a little air this weekend. Dune photog snapped this.

Met a fellow samba member on Saturday, can't wait to see your Baja out at the dunes Bryce.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: