Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Kinda barn find Vokaro
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jt912
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:38 pm    Post subject: Kinda barn find Vokaro Reply with quote

Gotta admit that I am really an early Porsche guy, but when I came across this odd but awesome car I couldn't pass it up. Hasn't ran in at least 6 years but the motor is very clean and turns by hand. Pan looks great. Brakes are shot and I'm hoping it's just a bad line though it's probably more than just that. A thief jacked up the electrical when he/she ripped out the stereo. Car is a sexy stunner from the front.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

[img]https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1496079.jpg[/imv

Singerdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Kinda barn find Vokaro Reply with quote

Awesome car indeed!! If you ever for any reason feel inclined to get rid of it, I would be interested. In the meantime, have fun getting this beauty back in working shape. Gee, I wish the barns in my neck of the woods would contain such interesting finds...
andygere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Kinda barn find Vokaro Reply with quote

That sure cleaned up nice. Great looking car, glad it's getting new life.
motoRAT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Kinda barn find Vokaro Reply with quote

That is a cool find
I like it
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Kinda barn find Vokaro Reply with quote

Nice looking car. I'd roll it!

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Kinda barn find Vokaro Reply with quote

jt912 wrote:

Sweet clean-up of I kit that I remember seeing advertised when I was growing up. I'm glad you saved it!
HeidelbergJohn4.0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: Kinda barn find Vokaro Reply with quote

sure sure, that looks like one of those TV "barn finds" where they drive it down a dirt road and fling dirt and grease at it t omake it dirty, then give it a bath and "voilla". Look at all the work we did in 12 hours and what an amazing car we resurrected!

Just jerking your chain!!! Looks like a great find of what was probably a well cared for car. Jealous!!!!
Machette Speedster
2012 Passat TDI SE (sadly sitting in a buyback parking lot somewhere waiting for it's heart to be ripped out.)
easilydistracted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Kinda barn find Vokaro Reply with quote

that is absolutely beautiful!!!!
maaaan I'd love to have a drive of that! Shocked Cool

MORE PICS ! MORE PICS!! PLEASE!!! Very Happy
wythac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Kinda barn find Vokaro Reply with quote

Cool find and nice documentation. Keep it up, I'd love to watch the progress.

Did you find it in Southern OR? I used to drive down that way pretty regularly 25 years ago and recall seeing more than just a few disused buggies and rails, probably due to the proximity of Oregon Dunes. I would have thought they were all either "one with the landscape" or snapped up by now.
Skulptorchaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: Kinda barn find Vokaro Reply with quote

Was not familiar with them but it's a new favorite!! That really is a beautiful looking car.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Kinda barn find Vokaro Reply with quote

I remember the magazine ads for the Vokaro. I'm showing my age! Embarassed I guess it's not too bad. I'm old enough to remember and not so old that I can't remember! Confused
I probably still have some of those magazines too. Rolling Eyes

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
jt912
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Kinda barn find Vokaro Reply with quote

Didn't realize so many have commented on the thread. Car is out of Pleasant Hill, OR. Super fun to drive! I have changed out the rusty chrome steel with old rubber for some new ones.

Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: Kinda barn find Vokaro Reply with quote

I like the wheels!

By the way, I'm supposed to be going to Oregon sometime in July. Can I borrow it? Laughing

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
prkid424
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: Kinda barn find Vokaro Reply with quote

Paint that white with a red M on the hood and you just about have a perfect Speed Racer.
jt912
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Kinda barn find Vokaro Reply with quote

Q-Dog wrote:
By the way, I'm supposed to be going to Oregon sometime in July. Can I borrow it? Laughing

For the right money you can own it. Small enough, it can almost be a carry-on.
dlyle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Kinda barn find Vokaro Reply with quote

Do you still have this Vokaro? I'm interested in finding one.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jt912
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Kinda barn find Vokaro Reply with quote

No. It went up to Portland and was resold. No idea where it might be now.
dlyle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Kinda barn find Vokaro Reply with quote

Earlier today I talked to the dealer that resold it.

I went and looked at one. Was pretty rough but comes with the original assembly manual. Hasn't run in many years. Needs a windshield like so many of them seem to need.

Amazed how many of these were started but never finished.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
flyin' blonde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Kinda barn find Vokaro Reply with quote

I wanted to build one of these back in the day, I was serious enough to visit the factory in CA and talk to Jack Leith, the owner of the company. I liked the simplicity, quality, and design of the car. But too not long after my then spouse and I decided to start a family, and that dream fell by the wayside. I still have the factory brochures and pricing lists. Hoping to find one someday.
NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Kinda barn find Vokaro Reply with quote

I wanted one, too. Cool stuff.
https://www.youtube.com/@AirSpooledGarage
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: