Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Late 1969 Ghia vert preservation/ restoration
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 42, 43, 44  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
NOVA Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Late 1969 Ghia vert preservation/ restoration Reply with quote

paul_round wrote:
This is what I have on mine:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mr-Gasket-9746-Chrome-Ca...SwYmZXKMaL

What size fuel line would you run with that? It says 3/8 inch. The one I use is 1/4 inch and that is a little big.
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Late 1969 Ghia vert preservation/ restoration Reply with quote

paul_round wrote:
With regard to the nose light comment, I do remember many years ago, talk of putting a block of concrete in the nose to help the handling.

I think some of our conversation was lost in translation, as her English was limited, and my German is comical!
Something else she was saying was that the bumper blades were made in one piece, rather than three. Now, I could see that the front bumper was in three pieces, but the rear bumper was all in one huge piece. Probably made fitting it a nightmare!

Stop dead photo links! Post photos to The Samba Gallery!
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Late 1969 Ghia vert preservation/ restoration Reply with quote

Once we'd finished at the Falkirk Wheel, we headed off in various small convoys towards New Lanark. We were supposed to be bringing up the rear, but as we left we met a stream of Ghias that had taken a wrong turning and ended up back at the start! Rolling Eyes We thought we had joined the back of the group again, but it turned out there were still five or six 'foreigners' behind us, who were now all relying on us for directions on the 40 mile journey! Shocked
That was fine, we had the route book. Wink The only problem was that we were almost down to the reserve on the fuel gauge...
We went as far as we could, and then peeled off to a supermarket filling station, thinking that the others would carry on without us. Oh no, they dutifully filed in behind us and clogged up the forecourt with beautiful Ghias while we filled up. I'm not sure the other customers saw the funny side, but never mind! Twisted Evil

Eventually, we arrived at New Lanark, which is an Industrial Revolution era model village based around a cotton mill, but with cutting edge facilities for the residents, like a school for the child labourers, indoor plumbing and flushing toilets shared between two families. Luxury indeed!
It was, of course, fascinating, and an extremely picturesque setting for our last stop of the meeting. Let's see what photos I have...
Ghias artfully parked in the car park...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Working industrial cotton spinning machines...

Inventive solutions to Ghia storage on a road trip...

Matching Signal Orange Ghias...

And, being Scotland, rain! Rolling Eyes
Luckily, it waited until the end of the weekend, but the journey home was unremittingly wet. Good job every good Ghia owner has a few towels in the car!
That's all for now, hope you enjoyed them!

kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Late 1969 Ghia vert preservation/ restoration Reply with quote

I wouldn't mind having that RHD silver/blue Type 34 in the third pic from the top parked I'm my garage.

Great reporting and stunning photography, Phil.
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Late 1969 Ghia vert preservation/ restoration Reply with quote

kiwighia68 wrote:
I wouldn't mind having that RHD silver/blue Type 34 in the third pic from the top parked I'm my garage.

Great reporting and stunning photography, Phil.

Thanks Chris. By the way, I have tickets to see 'Shepherds and Butchers' in Edinburgh on Saturday! Really looking forward to it, I'll let you know what I think! Very Happy

RockStock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Late 1969 Ghia vert preservation/ restoration Reply with quote

mcdonaldneal wrote:
1955 lowlight. The lady owner has had it in her family since new (I think), and it is apparently a pre-production prototype. She was very happy to show us the details, including the VIN plate and a strengthening bar behind the nose which she explained (in German) as a feature to prevent the car becoming 'nose light' at speed

She appears to be speaking the classic language of Guff x 2
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Late 1969 Ghia vert preservation/ restoration Reply with quote

RockStock wrote:
mcdonaldneal wrote:
1955 lowlight. The lady owner has had it in her family since new (I think), and it is apparently a pre-production prototype. She was very happy to show us the details, including the VIN plate and a strengthening bar behind the nose which she explained (in German) as a feature to prevent the car becoming 'nose light' at speed

She appears to be speaking the classic language of Guff x 2

Fair point, fair point!

mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Late 1969 Ghia vert preservation/ restoration Reply with quote

I had been having a little bother with the engine deck lid release catch. When I pull the release behind the driver's seat, the catch releases, but the spring is not strong enough to push the lid up that small amount and so you need a second person to pull the lid up.
The catch is a devilish bugger to get your head around how to adjust it, but I adjusted it for length so that it will just engage in the lock, adjust it fore and aft so that you can see it engage centrally through the crack in the closing decklid and I needed to use extra, large washers to compress the spring a bit more so that it will 'pop' the lid.
Seems to work so far!

mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Late 1969 Ghia vert preservation/ restoration Reply with quote

A friend e mailed yesterday. He's snapped the threaded bolt that attaches his repro mirror to the car (the one that controls the tension adjustment). Crying or Very sad

I have a spare mirror, and I thought maybe we could just swap the barrel shaped part with the threaded bolt attached to it, but the components between the two mirrors are not all compatible size-wise. So, I've lent him the whole mirror assembly and he can decide if he wants a lightly used second hand part, or a shiny new repro (I know which I would go for!) Very Happy

The good thing is that his right hand mirror is the driver's mirror (RHD) and so doesn't need the longer 'neck' that a LHD passenger side mirror has, and my spare is a short neck. I'll try to add a pic of my passenger side mirror, but I need to go outside to take it, and it's raining (again!)

Here you go, long necked passenger side mirror...

Last edited by mcdonaldneal on Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:18 am; edited 1 time in total
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Late 1969 Ghia vert preservation/ restoration Reply with quote

In my efforts to get rid of the modern 'add ons' that have accumulated on our car over the years, I have repurposed a metal demister/fuel pump relay to power the horn. It's a 10A relay, so I'm hoping that's enough for the Ghia's double horn!
There are more terminals than needed on the relay, but home testing with a 9v battery showed which ones would work; 85/86 for the trigger current, and 87 and 88a (or 88b) to power the horn. (87a is normally closed, and opens when the relay is activated).
The relay has a nice clip to hold it in place too!

mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Late 1969 Ghia vert preservation/ restoration Reply with quote

While I had the electrical kit out, I tried to check a metal three prong flasher relay I have as a spare. It didn't activate with the 9v battery, but with the 12v of the car battery I got it to flash my test light nicely! It'll do as a spare, in case my original starts playing up again! Confused

mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Late 1969 Ghia vert preservation/ restoration Reply with quote

Thought I would add to the list of vaguely useless tasks and add a brake light indicator to the dash.
Why? You might well ask! Well, there is a spare slot for a bulb holder in the speedo. It's supposed to be for an ATF warning light for the automatic transmission, and has a red lens, so I thought I could repurpose it so that it lights up when the brake pedal is pressed and give an indicator that the brake lights have come on. Could possibly be useful in traffic, or if someone is following closely behind? Also gives a bit of reassurance that the lights are coming on, as that's the only thing stopping someone crunching into the back of you! Shocked
Installation was simple. I just took an extra wire and tapped it into the T1 connector that takes the brake signal to the rear lights. You find it near the common ground connectors 'forward' of the speedo. Just connect it to the bulb holder.
Pics show the instruments with no lights on, and with all the warning lights on. From left to right at the top; rear demister, brake light, high beam, low beams.

NOVA Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Late 1969 Ghia vert preservation/ restoration Reply with quote

Is the light indicator supposed to come on when the headlights are on? I don't have a bulb in that location.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Late 1969 Ghia vert preservation/ restoration Reply with quote

2 headlight spots. One for "ON" and one for brights?
I also have brake light indicator on my dash, thanks for sharing.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Late 1969 Ghia vert preservation/ restoration Reply with quote

NOVA Airhead wrote:
Is the light indicator supposed to come on when the headlights are on? I don't have a bulb in that location.

c21darrel is right. The far right bulb is supposed to be for 'parking lights' (I think!) These are a European convention where, if you leave your indicator stalk 'on' then the side lights on that side will stay lit, even when the ignition key is out. It's so the car can be seen on a dark street.
US spec Ghias (like mine) don't have parking lights, so I ran a wire from the rear lights to that bulb on the dash. It's green, so works quite well as a 'lights on' indicator bulb for the side and main lights.
I was still managing to leave the lights on when the car was parked though, so I rewired the 'key in' buzzer to sound when the lights are on and the door opens!
The blue light comes on when the main beam/high beam is on. I posted before that I found a relay that lets me do this when the lights are off too (so called 'flash to pass') as we do this in the UK to let people know they can pull out of a junction or to give right of way. (Vestigial Victorian politeness?!)
Of course, usually none of these lights are lit! I never use the demister, I keep the lights off to save the switch, but I know they are there! Mad, isn't it?! Rolling Eyes
I like all of these little mods because they don't take anything away from the originality of the car (unless someone looks at the wiring behind the dash!) but they add a teeny bit of functionality.
Keeps me happy anyway! Very Happy

mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:29 am    Post subject: Re: Late 1969 Ghia vert preservation/ restoration Reply with quote

This from the German version of the '70 owners manual.
Explains that the parking light warning light 'e' is not specified in all export markets. (Or something similar!)

mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:34 am    Post subject: Re: Late 1969 Ghia vert preservation/ restoration Reply with quote

*Legal regulation in some export countries, otherwise not included

Thanks to Googletranslate! Wink

Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: Late 1969 Ghia vert preservation/ restoration Reply with quote

On my 70 vert the parking light is lit when you pull out the switch for just the parking lights or all the way for the headlights.
The ATF light is blanked off with a plug.
87 Syncro Westy Titan Red 2.1L 2 knob 100k miles
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWKC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: Late 1969 Ghia vert preservation/ restoration Reply with quote

This is my annual reminder that your speedo looks so much brighter and cleaner than mine and I really must read your thread about cleaning/upgrading it this winter. Sad Smile Very Happy
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Late 1969 Ghia vert preservation/ restoration Reply with quote

Exciting day today!
Samba member Kiwighia68 has flown half way around the globe. No, not to see me Razz , but he does have a free day today in his itinerary, so we are meeting up with a fellow Scottish Ghia owner, Stephen, this morning and planning a scenic tour of Edinburgh and the Lothians.
Always great to put a face to a name, so I'm really looking forward to it! The weather forecast is good (in Scottish terms! Confused ) That means 12deg C, brisk winds, but probably no rain, so hopefully we'll get the top down and you can look forward to some pictures later on!

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 42, 43, 44  Next
Jump to:
Page 25 of 44

Jump to: