Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help ID my buggy.
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
2bugtony
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:22 pm    Post subject: Help ID my buggy. Reply with quote

Hello
I bought this at a auction and don't have a clue who made it. Can anyone help. I would like to know so I can buy part and windshield.
Can you give me some good websites for buggy parts. I know there is fishers buggy but thats all I know.
Thanks
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

hillmotorsports
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Help ID my buggy. Reply with quote

Can't offer any thoughts on the manufacturer or the model but I CAN tell you that the only parts you will find will be generic in nature. What you have would be the equivalent to a base model from any manufacturer.
Seats can be had from a number of sources such as PRP, or you can scrounge the scrap yards for a pair of narrow seats, something less than 19" width seems to fit most buggies.
Dinos can make you a windshield to almost any size.
Lights, wiring, instruments, all generic.

Have fun!

(With way more projects than spare time!)
2bugtony
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Help ID my buggy. Reply with quote

Thanks
I have a 1973 bug here for a frame, trans and engine. I will scavenge parts from it. I have a couple low back bug seats I can use too
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Help ID my buggy. Reply with quote

About only item that is not VW in nature you will need will be a windshield.... Almost everything else will be aftermarket or something pretty (VW) generic....

http://bugshieldsbydino.com/

Excellent product but be patient with him, he is trying to keep business going after his father passed and it is his "second job" for him...

As for your body, It almost looks like a MANX ...

Might try looking here for the body ID...

http://dunebuggyarchives.com

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
2bugtony
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Help ID my buggy. Reply with quote

Thanks
I have been around bugs and buses all my life but never had a buggy and don't really know what I have to do to the frame and pan to put the buggy tub on. I think that I might have to shorten it or something. Is there any printed instructions on how to do this or a web site with this stuff?
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Help ID my buggy. Reply with quote

I keep looking at picture and keep seeing it as a long tub for standard wheel base pan.... IF so, you merely remove body from donor bug, set body on pan bolt it down and finish build from there...Only thing is you want donor pan with either K&L or BJ front suspension, if its a super with struts, you will need to replace frame head and get torsion bar front beams or locate different donor pan... Believe 73 is IRS/BJ (not a super) and it will have really good suspension for street handling buggy... One issue with IRS rear is you may have to trim about 3 inches off bottom of battery box and spare tire well to clear IRS arms....

If body IS short wheel base version the you take about 14.5 inches (+/-) out of pan and bolt body to pan and go from there....

Measure distance from "brow" over dash to inside back of tub (at top) and it is about 64 inches its short wheel base if its about 78 inches its long wheel base...

Also might want to peruse these "stickies"...

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=154350

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=447142

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...

Last edited by Dale M. on Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
2bugtony
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:23 am    Post subject: Re: Help ID my buggy. Reply with quote

Anyone got any up close pics of a volksrod MK 2. I was wondering if this thing might be one.
Thanks
BIGMIKEY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Help ID my buggy. Reply with quote

2bugtony wrote:
Anyone got any up close pics of a volksrod MK 2. I was wondering if this thing might be one.
Thanks

A quick Google of Volksrod MK2 shows it is not even close. The headlights are in the fenders on the MK2.

Take the measurements that Dale M. listed and report back.

Mike T

Deserter Series 1 project.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=787047&highlight=

1973 Beetle Driver, Marina Blue.
2bugtony
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: Help ID my buggy. Reply with quote

Found where a sticker was on the back where the engine goes. It had been painted over and the only thing that I could read was product # 31709. I wish I could got a name.
I took measurement and it look like about 75 inches. Looks like it will fit on a full pan. Im glad. My welding skills would be pushed to the max cutting and welding it back togher.
The gel coat is all cracked. Small cracks through out the tub. Any way to cover them up to repaint. I was thing about that primer that fills too.
2bugtony
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Help ID my buggy. Reply with quote

Here is a picture of where the sticker is. You can make it out where the sticker was stuck
2bugtony
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Help ID my buggy. Reply with quote

here is a couple more that might help
hillmotorsports
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Help ID my buggy. Reply with quote

Is that gull wing doors on something in the background of your last picture?
Inquiring minds need to know..... Cool

Oops... blowing up the picture shows them to be handlebars! Rolling Eyes

(With way more projects than spare time!)
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Help ID my buggy. Reply with quote

2bugtony wrote:
Found where a sticker was on the back where the engine goes. It had been painted over and the only thing that I could read was product # 31709. I wish I could got a name.
I took measurement and it look like about 75 inches. Looks like it will fit on a full pan. Im glad. My welding skills would be pushed to the max cutting and welding it back togher.
The gel coat is all cracked. Small cracks through out the tub. Any way to cover them up to repaint. I was thing about that primer that fills too.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=500792&highlight=

bnc
2bugtony
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: Help ID my buggy. Reply with quote

no doors. was something in the pic.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: