Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Class 11 lift
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gravell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:30 pm    Post subject: Class 11 lift Reply with quote

Hey Guys,

After reading some posts and looking at what everyone said about thing spindles vs. tweed I am looking at buying thing spindles to put on my 73 beetle to lift the front end. I am also wanting to upgrade my front brakes to disc. This is probably a stupid question, but can I buy a VW thing disc brake kit that includes spindles and knock 2 birds out with one stone? Bolt on the thing spindles to get the lift and the disc brakes to get the added stopping power.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Class 11 lift Reply with quote

Yes. A few ways to approach this problem. I think CSP has the market on Thing kits. You can also use Ghia calipers with aftermarket mounting brackets. One of those options is very expensive.

I just remembered that socal imports has some kits that will work. A ton of threads on doing this. I'm planning on doing the same thing.

Goodluck

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dirtkeeper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Class 11 lift Reply with quote

moore parts has the brackets for $40, ghia spindles and calipers and you are on your way . i modified the ghia spindle shield to work with the thing spindle. But the shields aren't necessary.
Gravell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Class 11 lift Reply with quote

dirtkeeper wrote:
moore parts has the brackets for $40, ghia spindles and calipers and you are on your way . i modified the ghia spindle shield to work with the thing spindle. But the shields aren't necessary.

So if I am understanding correctly I need to get calipers and rotors for a ghia or beetle, as long as they fit my 4 lug bolt pattern, and then I can get the brackets from moore parts and they will attach the disc brakes to the thing spindles. Also can I do a straight swap out of my beetle spindles for thing spindles without having to change front beam, trailing arms or front beam?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Class 11 lift Reply with quote

Here's some links about converting to Thing Spindles ...

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=199038

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=478403

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=491123&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

~I'm almost done. I just lack finishing up.~ Anxious
gargamel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Class 11 lift Reply with quote

I lifted the front of my bug with Thing spindles. I quickly learned to also use (at least lower) Thing arms as well since the stock beetle arms were binding and not allowing any up/down movement. Yes, I did flip my lower beetle arms as some suggested but Thing arms was the way to go.

There is an aftermarket caliper plate that will bolt on the Thing spindle (same one used for Bugs) and I got m Ghia calipers on with zero problem.
dirtkeeper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Class 11 lift Reply with quote

Gravell wrote:
dirtkeeper wrote:

So if I am understanding correctly I need to get calipers and rotors for a ghia or beetle, as long as they fit my 4 lug bolt pattern, and then I can get the brackets from moore parts and they will attach the disc brakes to the thing spindles. Also can I do a straight swap out of my beetle spindles for thing spindles without having to change front beam, trailing arms or front beam?

Yes to all that . But you need the thing trailing arms to fit the thing spindles
oldschool5er
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Class 11 lift Reply with quote

My Thing Front end with SoCal disc setup with thing spindle caliber bracket
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Full machine shop with all types of CNC. Rapid prototyping available, CNC Plasma cutting, 3D printing and Laser engraving.
Douglas A
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Class 11 lift Reply with quote

oldschool5er wrote:

Look at Kustom1 warehouse spindles
I cheated and bought a whole new beam
50 / 50 with raised spindles.

Last edited by Douglas A on Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Douglas A
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Class 11 lift Reply with quote

oldschool5er wrote:

I cheated and bought a whole new beam
50 / 50 came with 3" spindles

Gravell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Class 11 lift Reply with quote

what are y'alls opinion on using tweed spindles instead of thing spindles? It looks like I could still use my VW type 1 trailing arms and ball joints with the tweed spindles verses having to swap out trailing arms if I used the thing spindles.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Class 11 lift Reply with quote

It depends on what you're trying to do with the car, the thing lower ball joints are pointed down so the weight of the car is trying to compress the ball joint instead of separating it. Also due to the lower ball joint being lower in the spindle, and the fact that the whole spindle is forged vs welded together, it is a stronger assembly. If you plan on beating on the car I would suggest the thing arms & spindles.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1393725.jpg

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
enjoyther1de
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Class 11 lift Reply with quote

Thing arms and spindles are the way to go if you can find them for a decent price. I've BEAT my tweeds off road. Seperated the upper ball joint once on a very sketchy uphill.
New ball joints and a hook and rod kit to keep the joints in check, I'm confident in my spindles.
gargamel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Class 11 lift Reply with quote

Thing parts vs tweeds. Depends on which one you can get and get for less. Personally, I would go with Thing parts. I doubt many here will question VW part quality.

Some sellers do part with their Thing parts for very fair price so try that route first.

Last edited by gargamel on Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Class 11 lift Reply with quote

Douglas A wrote:

Eh, I don't know whose spindles kustom1 is selling but a few other members have had some issues with lesser quality spindles.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Douglas A
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Class 11 lift Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Douglas A wrote:

Eh, I don't know whose spindles kustom1 is selling but a few other members have had some issues with lesser quality spindles.

When I was researching this myself, I thought kustom1 had a report
on theirs verses others? I thought they were made in house?
I know they make there front beams or lets say cut them and rebuild them.
tirekicker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Class 11 lift Reply with quote

enjoyther1de wrote:
Thing arms and spindles are the way to go if you can find them for a decent price. I've BEAT my tweeds off road. Seperated the upper ball joint once on a very sketchy uphill.
New ball joints and a hook and rod kit to keep the joints in check, I'm confident in my spindles.

pictures or it didn't happen.
bon jour

(16:45:42) Russ_Wolfe: TK, you are like a Maytag washer
(16:46:44) tirekicker: and what's a maytag washer?
(16:47:35) Russ_Wolfe: If you are not agitating, you are not working right
enjoyther1de
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Class 11 lift Reply with quote

We didn't have a photog slowing us down... Those fuckers take up too much room and drink too much beer.

Here's the aftermath.

cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Class 11 lift Reply with quote

If you go to a trucks gone wild, don't let matt steele anywhere near your cooler.
Douglas A
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:52 am    Post subject: Re: Class 11 lift Reply with quote

Douglas A wrote:
TDCTDI wrote:
Douglas A wrote:

When I was researching this myself, I thought kustom1 had a report
on theirs verses others? I thought they were made in house?
I know they make there front beams or lets say cut them and rebuild them.

here is there link check them out!
http://www.kustom1warehouse.net/Lifted_ball_joint_...akekit.htm
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: