Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

A few things Learned Tripping through Banff National Park
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
climberjohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: A few things Learned Tripping through Banff National Park Reply with quote

Regarding the original post…

I had to laugh at a couple of these.

I just about had a heart attack at the entrance station to the Banff/Jasper area when the smiling lady told me I needed to pay her $135 for a week and 3 people to get in. I almost blurted out "a week in Yosemite costs friggin' $20!!!" but fortunately caught myself in time to avoid a rare (for me) Ugly American moment.
(For that kind of coin, it damn well better be one of the most scenic drives in the world!)

And, regarding campsite availability, things may well have changed in the 10 years since I was there, but I remember campsites being in glorious abundance with hardly any reservations required. If I remember, about one third of all the camp sites are first come first serve, and if you roll in somewhere around 11 or 12, you're almost guaranteed a spot for the night.

Can any locals or people who have been there more recently comment on this?

-CJ
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: A few things Learned Tripping through Banff National Park Reply with quote

climberjohn wrote:

I just about had a heart attack at the entrance station to the Banff/Jasper area when the smiling lady told me I needed to pay her $135 for a week and 3 people to get in. I almost blurted out "a week in Yosemite costs friggin' $20!!!" but fortunately caught myself in time to avoid a rare (for me) Ugly American moment.
(For that kind of coin, it damn well better be one of the most scenic drives in the world!)

And, regarding campsite availability, things may well have changed in the 10 years since I was there, but I remember campsites being in glorious abundance with hardly any reservations required. If I remember, about one third of all the camp sites are first come first serve, and if you roll in somewhere around 11 or 12, you're almost guaranteed a spot for the night.

-CJ

When I was through there 3 weeks ago all the campgrounds were still closed for winter, LAME! And there was nobody to take our money at the gate. We parked/slept in some pullouts and didn't get hassled and ultimately I was glad to save the money, but all in all it was really odd that "camping season" in Canadian National parks does not start till well into June.

Gas struts to pop your top easily!

Pop Top strut kits now available for late Bay window Westies Smile

Samba ad here.

DIY artificial rain gutters (ARGs)
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: A few things Learned Tripping through Banff National Park Reply with quote

jackbombay wrote:
climberjohn wrote:

-CJ

When I was through there 3 weeks ago all the campgrounds were still closed for winter, LAME! And there was nobody to take our money at the gate. We parked/slept in some pullouts and didn't get hassled and ultimately I was glad to save the money, but all in all it was really odd that "camping season" in Canadian National parks does not start till well into June.

I'm typing this as I sit in Two Jack Main campground (10 k from Banff) on Satrurday evening with a vacant site on each side of mine. Several loops here haven't opened yet. This is a wonderful, spacious site in a wooded area with a good view of Cascade Mountain.

Two Jack Lakeside and Johnston Canyon are filled today but there were plenty of spots here to choose from (I had a different site reserved so this one was a walk-up, and quite a bit nicer than the one I had reserved).

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: A few things Learned Tripping through Banff National Park Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:

I'm typing this as I sit in Two Jack Main campground (10 k from Banff) on Satrurday evening with a vacant site on each side of mine. Several loops here haven't opened yet.

IIRC the camping was supposed to open on the 20th of June, that was the south end of the "park", actually Kootenay national park but ultimately Kootenay, Banff, Jasper etc... all blend together, we drove till midnight to get to the first campground in Kootenay, to find it closed, so we drove another 60 miles to the next one to find it closed and there was no previous notice that they were closed... So at 1:30 in the morning we pulled into a pull out behind some trees and fell asleep to the sound of a charging creek and it was free, it all worked out fine, but a heads up at the entrance to the park that the campgrounds were all closed despite it being summer time is just bad management.

Samba ad here.

jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: A few things Learned Tripping through Banff National Park Reply with quote

climberjohn wrote:

I just about had a heart attack at the entrance station to the Banff/Jasper area when the smiling lady told me I needed to pay her $135 for a week and 3 people to get in. I almost blurted out "a week in Yosemite costs friggin' $20

-CJ

Last week I bought an annual US Interagency (NP, BLM, NFS, etc.) pass for $80 USD and then a two-year Canada NP pass for $103.27 USD (daily fees for a week or so would run the same amount. Hopefully I'll get a chance to use the pass again over the next two years).

Camping rates are similar. At some parks in Canada a fire permit is req'd but that comes with all the free fire wood you want (I don't care too much for camp fires so that's not a big plus for me). I'd say the Canadian facilities are a bit nicer. The showers at Waterton were new, clean and easily on par with a nice gym in the US.

Regardless, NPs in both countries are wonderful places to visit and the fees are well worth the price of admission.

Abscate wrote:

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: A few things Learned Tripping through Banff National Park Reply with quote

Hi All,

I'm heading to Jasper NP tomorrow. Does anyone have recommendations on NP campgrounds or sites? Wabasso and Honeymoon Lake appear to be good options but I'm looking for other recommendations. Whistlers is definitely off the list. Any experience with Snaring River cg? It seems like it might be a nice small campground.

I'm looking for quiet, reasonably isolated with great views or access (hike or bike) to views.

Thanks.

Abscate wrote:

Noblecr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: A few things Learned Tripping through Banff National Park Reply with quote

Snaring is nice but its on the other side of jasper....cute campsite..cheaper then the big ones...but train is close. Not sure how often via rail runs through.

Wapiti is my fav.....if u can get a site in RR....bonus. they are along the river. RR22 or 24 are dream sites.

Love Jasper
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lemonspeed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: A few things Learned Tripping through Banff National Park Reply with quote

Finally got the van out of winter storage today and stoked to begin travel plans.......jasper this year? Lets see some more Banff / Jasper pics! Happy Spring everyone!
73 Transporter (sold) "chloe"
80 Vanagon (sold) "brownie"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
geo_tonz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: A few things Learned Tripping through Banff National Park Reply with quote

FWIW...National park passes are free this year! Still have to pay for camping, but passes for the park...no charge!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: A few things Learned Tripping through Banff National Park Reply with quote

lemonspeed wrote:
Lets see some more Banff / Jasper pics!

~3,300' hike to the top of Mt. Fairweather (on the south shore of Lake Louise, gets you this view,

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

And then after your hike you can freak out all the tourists in down coats by going for a leisurely swim in the Glacier fed Lake Louise, the peak in the background is Mt Fairweather that we had just hiked,

Samba ad here.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: