Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Beetle Odometer on this one?
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gintaras
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:54 am    Post subject: Beetle Odometer on this one? Reply with quote

Guys, I was interested in looking at this Thing in the classifieds, but after looking closely at each picture, it looks like the odometer says ATF?
How possible is it for this Thing to have 33000 miles on it, is it possible that this is the original gauge? When I called the guy, all he did was fight with me (typical used car salesman), and tell me that it was a Mexican Thing.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1939365

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

77kafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Beetle Odometer on this one? Reply with quote

Speedometer was replaced, it also has the rear window defogger icon (look just below the 20)

Overheard on 27 June 07, one lady to another when they saw my Harli in a parking lot at West Point, "maybe he found it on the clearance aisle at the Volkswagen dealer"
gintaras
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Beetle Odometer on this one? Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply, the guy lost a sale because of his shadyness.
I am looking for a clean Thing, as I will be living in either Jacksonville or Pensacola, FL.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Beetle Odometer on this one? Reply with quote

It is entirely possible for a Thing to have only 33,000 miles. Ours went over 33K last weekend going from Pittsburgh up to Niagara Falls for the "June Jitterbug".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gintaras
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetle Odometer on this one? Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
It is entirely possible for a Thing to have only 33,000 miles. Ours went over 33K last weekend going from Pittsburgh up to Niagara Falls for the "June Jitterbug".

Understood, but the fact that I pointed out to him that that was the wrong speedometer, and his reply was to be defensive and tell me that it is a "Mexican" speedometer and that it was correct, raised red flags for me.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetle Odometer on this one? Reply with quote

Looks pretty good for 40 year old paint, I would guess it is much younger. The rusty underside has been sprayed with a layer of undercoating to cover up rust and who know what all else as well. My first Thing had 28K miles on it when I bought it in '78 IIRC so I really doubt that this one will have only run up 33K miles 38 years later.

Really classy paint on the horn button to boot. If the seller can't clean that mess up prior to putting it up for sale, he hasn't made any effort to fix anything of worth at all.

Also the seller claims matching numbers for the engine and transmission. Is this info even available anywhere?
GI Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetle Odometer on this one? Reply with quote

Caveat Emptor!!

Looks "clean" in the pics, but your instinct has most likely saved you a Lot of heartache! Good call to pass on that one. Fresh paint over a crap under the pan, Late beetle speedo with ATF and rear window Defog indicator, and I'm almost certain there is no way to confirm #'s matching on an old VW..... Rolling Eyes
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8080337#8080337
www.NLEOMF.com
Respect, Honor, Remember
wbailey2112
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:43 am    Post subject: Re: Beetle Odometer on this one? Reply with quote

I saw this posting in the classifieds and what caught my eye was the paint on the steering wheel cover and the goop on the bottom of the pan. Might be a decent vehicle to start out with but not at that price. Like many sellers this person thinks they have something that's worth a lot more than it really is.

Good luck with your search. As Alton Brown used to always say your patience will be rewarded.
hobie16
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetle Odometer on this one? Reply with quote

gintaras wrote:
... his reply was to be defensive and tell me that it is a "Mexican" speedometer...

Was his name Donald?

If anything’s going to happen, it’s going to happen out there.
---Captain Ron
citroen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetle Odometer on this one? Reply with quote

Its amazing how many all originals things had beetle mufflers on them
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetle Odometer on this one? Reply with quote

gintaras wrote:
Thanks for the reply, the guy lost a sale because of his shadyness.
I am looking for a clean Thing, as I will be living in either Jacksonville or Pensacola, FL.

I would expect a lot more for my 14K. Beetle pea-shooter exhaust, Looked as if there is some bubbling in the rear rockers and perhaps the driver's side engine compartment; $$$$. Horn cover (minor detail)

If the engine # doesn't start with "AM", it won't be "matching". Only way to confirm that would be to send off for a "birth certificate" from VW. ....and that wouldn't be 100% because the Mexican records are pretty iffy.

This would not be a car that I would consider buying unless I could touch it with my own hands.
[email protected] Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetle Odometer on this one? Reply with quote

That very well can be an original thing speedometer
When they ran out of the regular speedo at the factory, they just replaced it with whatever was available
I have stacks of speedometers in my pile that were removed from things
many of them have the ATF on them...
Its a myth that all things did not have an ATF light.....
CALL 518 630 0173
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: Beetle Odometer on this one? Reply with quote

This car came from the factory with Pumpkin Orange paint. There is no record anywhere of the serial number for the engine/transmission of any VW Thing ever produced anywhere. It is impossible to have "matching numbers" on something that has "NO" recorded numbers. The guy must think he has a white 56 t-bird port hole with two tops But this guy would claim the soft asn hard top for the t bird had "matching numbers".... Something is not obvious on that car... I also smell a rat...
GI Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: Beetle Odometer on this one? Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
When they ran out of the regular speedo at the factory, they just replaced it with whatever was available

Interesting observation Mike..... Hecho en Mexico....... Rolling Eyes
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8080337#8080337
www.NLEOMF.com
Respect, Honor, Remember
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Beetle Odometer on this one? Reply with quote

$14,000 and the brakes need adjustment. Right, if they only needed fifteen minutes of a mechanic's time this would probably have been done. More likely the brakes are a rusted frozen up mess that will need virtually every part replaced.
1madmanx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetle Odometer on this one? Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:

I'm glad you said that because here is the speedo in my '74. While I can't be 100% sure its original, based on the rest of the car, I would say it is.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'66 Kombi Bus
'73 Thing
Visit my Galleries:
https://manxclub.com/forum/app.php/gallery/album/44
SilverThing Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetle Odometer on this one? Reply with quote

Something to check on the speedometers is the date that is on the backside.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: