Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Retrofitting Factory Cruise Control
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sperlingerrit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:04 pm    Post subject: Retrofitting Factory Cruise Control Reply with quote

Hello all,

Im working on retrofitting the factory cruise control into my van and im having trouble with the wiring. I was wondering a few things. After looking in the bentley im still having trouble seeing where a few of the wires should go. Is there a relay for the cruise system? Does anyone know what the specific functions of each of the 8 pins on the brain are? Has anyone ever done this on an early pre-86 van? I have an 84 passanger van. I know all about the vss and vacuum lines and how the system is supposed to work but the wiring up front is just giving me trouble. Please help!

Thanks
Gerrit
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:15 am    Post subject: Re: Retrofitting Factory Cruise Control Reply with quote

Are you fabricating your own harness, or installing a factory harness. There is no relay just an ECM. All the wires are plug and play. You should have the 8 pin plug which goes to the ECM, a plug for the VSS , a plug which interrupts the brake switch , a set of wires that go to the pedals a flat 4 prong which goes to the control switch as well as +\ - . There is an extra plug from the harness that does not plug into anything, lastly there are 3 wires which go the back and hook up to the bi pressure pump in the engine compartment.
That's all from memory, make sure that your ECM has a 251 number on it as a secondary number as it is only for a Vanagon 2WD which gets its signal from the wheel, my first retrofit I had to make my own harness, but I had all the plug ends as my buddy who pulled it didn't realize it is just a sub harness.
Good luck, they are frustrating to get to work properly.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tschroeder0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Retrofitting Factory Cruise Control Reply with quote

if you search cruise control troubleshooting you will find all you need, I think.
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Retrofitting Factory Cruise Control Reply with quote

I built mine from scratch. The 1986 and later Syncro vans, even the ones like mine with no factory cruise control, all came pre-wired with the three-wire cable from the area just behind the instrument panel, which goes all the way to the black junction box on the left side of the 1986 and later engine firewall. I think that you will have to make and install your own cable for that.

Here's a link to my install:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=655366

As for wiring, look at the cruise control wiring diagram at page 97.175 of the Bentley manual. You need to provide 12V "key switched on" positive power to "G2" on the Bentley diagram. On your 1984 Vanagon, the location on the fuse panel for "key switched on" positive power will be different. You need to connect the control unit terminal 3 to the brake light switch circuit.
sperlingerrit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Retrofitting Factory Cruise Control Reply with quote

So the main reason i was getting so confused by the wiring diagrams etc. is that i think the person I bought the system from gave me the wiring harness out of a different vw not a vanagon.
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Retrofitting Factory Cruise Control Reply with quote

What is different about it? I would imagine any Mid 80's VW would have the same connections.
Did you read through my list of things in the harness? The easiest part of my Retrofit was installing the harness.
Throw some pictures up and I'll compare it to a harness I have for sale. Which I personally removed from a Vanagon.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sperlingerrit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:12 am    Post subject: Re: Retrofitting Factory Cruise Control Reply with quote

These are all the pictures i currently have of my harness:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

sperlingerrit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Retrofitting Factory Cruise Control Reply with quote

So does it look different?
sperlingerrit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Retrofitting Factory Cruise Control Reply with quote

Is anyone able to see and possibly point out any differences?
ajdenette
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:38 am    Post subject: Re: Retrofitting Factory Cruise Control Reply with quote

I do have a factory cruise control setup I pulled out of a van but it is at my parents place I will try to get it out to get pictures and answer your questions.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=732777
1990 Vanagon Syncro Base awaiting body work
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Retrofitting Factory Cruise Control Reply with quote

sperlingerrit wrote:
Is anyone able to see and possibly point out any differences?

The wire lengths will have to be changed by cutting and splicing. All the wires and terminals are there in your picture. Use the Bentley wiring diagram to understand which wire does what.

Here's the wiring diagram for the harness you have. You need to lengthen and shorten the wire runs to suit your Vanagon.

Which Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) do you have? The 3-wire one?:

Or do you have the Vanagon 2-wire VSS:

Here's a pic of the wiring pigtail for the factory Vanagon cruise stalk:

sperlingerrit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Retrofitting Factory Cruise Control Reply with quote

I have the two wire VSS. Thanks for the responses. I has been a little tricky trying to identify which wires do what from the bentley cause im not sure which position on the eight pin connector each wire comes from. Is it really just simple and im overlooking it?
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Retrofitting Factory Cruise Control Reply with quote

sperlingerrit wrote:
I have the two wire VSS. Thanks for the responses. I has been a little tricky trying to identify which wires do what from the bentley cause im not sure which position on the eight pin connector each wire comes from. Is it really just simple and im overlooking it?

Have you looked at the wiring diagram in your Vanagon Bentley manual at page 97.175?

If not, you will never solve your dilemma. It is really simple, but you need to look at the Vanagon wiring diagram. Both the Jetta diagram I posted above and the Vanagon diagram show the pin numbers on the CC control unit. The control unit itself has a diagram painted on it that shows you which pins correspond with which numbers.

The only interface to your vehicle is to find a 12V power source that is only powered when the ignition switch is on, a ground, and the connection to the brake light switches. Everything else is just the CC system itself, which you can wire up in exactly the way that the Bentley manual shows at page 97.175.
sperlingerrit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Retrofitting Factory Cruise Control Reply with quote

I feel really dumb i mever noticed those little numbers! One thing i was looking at in that page of the bentley though is there is an inductive sender in the diagram that i dont have. Is it necessary? Its connections on the diagram dont seem to go anywhere. Just wondering.

Thanks!
sperlingerrit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Retrofitting Factory Cruise Control Reply with quote

Nevermind i see now its the VSS!
sperlingerrit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Retrofitting Factory Cruise Control Reply with quote

I just need help with one more thing I promise! Its just not entirely clear to me which pin on the CC Main control is the one that needs swutched on power! Is it the second one? Please help! Thank you guys so much for everything!
sperlingerrit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Retrofitting Factory Cruise Control Reply with quote

This one last piece of info would help me greatly! Anyone?

Thanks
Gerrit
FrankenSubySyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Retrofitting Factory Cruise Control Reply with quote

sperlingerrit wrote:
I just need help with one more thing I promise! Its just not entirely clear to me which pin on the CC Main control is the one that needs swutched on power! Is it the second one? Please help! Thank you guys so much for everything!

The ECM gets its power from the switch. The red wire from the switch is what you connect to key on power.
F & R lockers, decoupler, SS, 6.17 R&P
Trans Cooler
EMPI race prepped 930 CVs and axles
Bilstein coilover front, rear ProComp MX-6066R shocks, 14" hypercoil springs
30x9.5 15" BFG Muds
Custom skid plates
Nose job (custom front bumper) http://www.flickr.com/photos/subyvanagon/sets/72157624970330925/
davideric9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: Retrofitting Factory Cruise Control Reply with quote

Quote:
There is no relay just an ECM. All the wires are plug and play.

To clarify, there is a relay in the cruise control system, its only on the automatic transmission, not on the manual trans. Its not quite plug and play because its wires are often cut from behind the fuse panel, no connectors for two of the four relay wires. Bentley shows these wires going to C18 and G3.

ALSO for you all you trusting owners, NOT all the post 86 vans came prewired with CC in engine compartment. My 87 syncro has the connector and my 88 wolfsburg does not.
1988 Wolfsburg GL (bought 2012)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Åsmund T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Retrofitting Factory Cruise Control Reply with quote

Hi guys Very Happy
I'm retrofitting the factory cruise as we speak.

But I have a question Embarassed

#1 do someone have a picture of the criuse control wire diagram on a vanagon with automatic transmission?

The guy that pulled out the cruise that I'm retrofitting did a beautiful job, no wires are cut and all the connectors are on. But I'm struggling to figure out where a Black single cable from the ECM unit goes,

The "kit" also included a fuce holder with one grey and white stripet wire. Not sure of that has anything to do with the cruise control/ECM unit.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: