Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

64' Stock Motor???
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
John M
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:26 pm    Post subject: 64' Stock Motor??? Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

I just purchased a 64' Ghia hardtop. I'm pretty knowledgeable on the Oval Bugs but a real new-B to the Ghia, so I thought a good place to start would be to ask the Ghia experts.

I can't seem to find non-conflicting information on what the bone stock engine should be in the 64' hardtop. Is it a 1200 40hp or 1300 40hp? What was the stock distributor? Can't seem to nail that down either. Any pictures of a stock 64' motor would also be appreciated.

Any information you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

John
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
theghiagirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 64' Stock Motor??? Reply with quote

1964(65 model year) shows 1200.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/64-8_kg.php

1965(66 model) year shows 1300.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/8_65ghia.php

1964 un-restored engine.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
h~moto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 64' Stock Motor??? Reply with quote

1964 should be a 1200. The Ghia uses a Beetle engine and I believe all the parts should be the same. I think I heard that one of the jets in the Ghia carb is different because of the different air filter setup.
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 64' Stock Motor??? Reply with quote

John M wrote:
What was the stock distributor?

There's apparently two distributors that could be correct for your ghia.
Distributor & associated tune up parts can be quickly looked up... go up top (this page)... right click the "Technical" tab... choose "open in new tab."
Select the new tab that would have just opened & scroll to the bottom of the page, under "Miscellaneous".... click the "Bosch Tune-Up Parts Chart" or click the link I just embedded

The distributor is matched to the carburetor (or vice versa)... anyway, think of the carb & distributor as a matched pair/set.
Here's a similar list for carbs (both dist + carb list are compiled by member glutamodo / Andy):
http://members.trainorders.com/android/temp/CarbBaseFlangeNumbersA.doc
John M
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 64' Stock Motor??? Reply with quote

Thanks Evan,

I finally went with a ZV/PAU 4R5 distributor and a 28 PICT-1 carb.... Looking at the combo chart, it appears I'm in the ball park.

Thanks for your input, every little bit helps!

John
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: