Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Change stove to run off a 1 gallon camping propane tank?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Westy1999
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:28 am    Post subject: Change stove to run off a 1 gallon camping propane tank? Reply with quote

I have to replace my propane tank ($375 for the tank) but since I am adding a truckfridge the propane would only run my stove and propex. The propex doesn't really work great for me because I like winter camping and the propane for the heater only lasts about 3-4 nights on high. If I changed it to a gas heater then my propane would only be running the stove and it seems silly to have a large tank under the van just for the stove.

So...any thoughts on why I shouldn't just remove the propane tank and try to hook up the stove so it uses 1 gallon camping tanks instead?

Anybody have suggestions on how to change the stove to work off of those camping tanks?
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Change stove to run off a 1 gallon camping propane tank? Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=244556

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=204063

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=452587
Westy1999
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Change stove to run off a 1 gallon camping propane tank? Reply with quote

PDXWesty wrote:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=244556

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=204063

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=452587

Thanks for the links!

Any idea on who does a job like this? I can't even find anybody to fix the slightly damaged threading on my current factory propane tank (I've tried RV shops, propane shops, etc with zero luck). I wouldn't want to do this job on my own.
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Change stove to run off a 1 gallon camping propane tank? Reply with quote

Why do you need to remove the tank? They are super thick DOT tanks not thin walled cylinders. I just replaced my fill valve on my original somewhat rusty tank and it is fine. There are also lots of used tanks around too. A lot of people just pull them off rather than cleaning them up because it is so much work to sand blast and repaint, then you usually have to replace the valves and regulator anyway. But if the tank itself is still solid, you can just use them and put on a new valve if it is bad.

Reason I ask why your need to replace your tank is because since you already have propex, the absolute best thing is to just add an external port for the your LP that you can run off a 1 gallon or 5 gallon tank. Lots of different ways to do it. Some just use the extend a stay fittings, others make a hose that connects to the tank fill. I put a tee into my gas line inside and ran a quick connect port to the outside that I could snap on an external tank. That worked even better and highly recommended over connecting at the regulator or tank. No more running out of propane. And way easier to fill a portable tank than making some poor slob get under your van in a drizzly winter shit storm to your fill your on board tank.
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Change stove to run off a 1 gallon camping propane tank? Reply with quote

Westy1999 wrote:
... I wouldn't want to do this job on my own.

Sorry, I just saw this line. Just take it to a Vanagon repair shop and they can replace it quickly for you. It really is as simple as removing the skid plate for the tank (2 rusty bolts and maybe the regulator cover if you have an original regulator still), then unscrewing the fill valve, and screwing a new one in. But a VW shop won't cost much either, so you could just do that.
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Change stove to run off a 1 gallon camping propane tank? Reply with quote

Westy1999 wrote:
I have to replace my propane tank ($375 for the tank) but since I am adding a truckfridge the propane would only run my stove and propex. The propex doesn't really work great for me because I like winter camping and the propane for the heater only lasts about 3-4 nights on high. If I changed it to a gas heater then my propane would only be running the stove and it seems silly to have a large tank under the van just for the stove.

So...any thoughts on why I shouldn't just remove the propane tank and try to hook up the stove so it uses 1 gallon camping tanks instead?

Anybody have suggestions on how to change the stove to work off of those camping tanks?

Unless you have a 2800 / no insulation / are camping at subfreezing temps with the Propex cranked to 75 degrees, it won't use that much propane in three nights. A full Westy tank is good for 40 hours continuous use for an HS2000 Propex. When I was still using one, I got seven days use in winter trips, heater on 24/7, aided by solar gain during the day, holding 65 degrees inside for my pup.

Small propane tanks should not be used inside, especially because the regulator must be connected, so outside is the only option.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Change stove to run off a 1 gallon camping propane tank? Reply with quote

Check the classifieds here. There is a member that sells the parts to refurbish the stock propane tank. The stove uses more propane than you think. Plus you already have the propex.
mrshrimp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Change stove to run off a 1 gallon camping propane tank? Reply with quote

I agree with the others, dont get rid of your tank. Mine had some surface rust, i dropped it and hand sanded it myself, primed it and use a good oil based enamel and has been been fine for years. If you get rid of your tank then you might as well get rid of your propex.

-Keith
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Change stove to run off a 1 gallon camping propane tank? Reply with quote

Westy1999 wrote:
I have to replace my propane tank ($375 for the tank)

Why?
Who suggested this odd move, & who decided the tank must be replaced?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: