Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear tire sizes - what are you running?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tow_d
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:15 pm    Post subject: Rear tire sizes - what are you running? Reply with quote

I am finally getting around to replacing the old tires on my buggy. It has 15x10 aluminum slots on the back with well aged L60-15 tires. I'd like to stay with a similar overall size. For those running 10" wide wheels, what size tires are you running? That will help point me in the direction of what tires are actually available. It's going to be a street buggy, so I don't need any aggressive off road tires, but having trouble finding a decent street tire with a nice look to it. Would prefer something less expensive than a Mickey Thompson if such a tire exists.

Thanks for any help.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire sizes- what are you running? Reply with quote

You need to also consider transaxle gearing and engine power when selection rear tires.
tow_d
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire sizes- what are you running? Reply with quote

Should've mentioned that: stock 1968 swingaxle trans, fresh 1600DP. Nothing fancy, just a nice buggy for cruising around town. Not trying to set any speed records, and no plans for any major off-road adventures.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire sizes- what are you running? Reply with quote

For 10 inch wide wheels..

L60-15 = sectional width 10.50 Diameter 27.86

A couple of good comparable size choices are..

255/60/15 = sectional width 10.00 Diameter 27.05

275/60/15 = sectional width 10.80 Diameter 28.00

BF Goodrich Radial TA's.. hands down.. IMO.

Think but ....Im a biased 10 inch wide slot..... 275/60/15 user though.. Wink
1600 single stock port.. 70 transaxle..

Runs and pulls just fine..

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited

Last edited by VOLKSWAGNUT on Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:05 pm; edited 4 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire sizes- what are you running? Reply with quote

A would stay under 27" tall tire.
tow_d
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire sizes- what are you running? Reply with quote

Anybody running a 'drag radial' on their buggy for normal street use? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Looks like I've now got an opportunity to take my buggy to OBX on vacation this summer, so need to make sure whatever I pick will at least get me around in the sand. Nothing crazy, just cruising on the beach. I'd prefer one set that does all.

And here's a pic of what I've got for reference. Current wheels are going to be refinished, and tires replaced- this set is old and dry rotted.

I do have a set of Mickey Thompson Baja Belted HP's that I can take with me, but would prefer not to drag along extra parts if I don't have to. These are awesome in the sand, but they don't balance out well at all and make for a very bumpy ride. Here's the buggy with that set on (I really need to polish the wheels, they've been sitting way too long).
weasel_ugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire sizes- what are you running? Reply with quote

Well the drag radials might get scary when wet.
andygere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire sizes- what are you running? Reply with quote

275 60 15 on an 8.5" wide rim. I thought they looked pretty good, ran fine with a stock 1600 DP.

clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: Tire sizes- what are you running? Reply with quote

I just picked up a set of two new 275/60-15 BFG's for my California trip in two weeks.
These will be replacing the two 12 year old Coopers on the buggy now.

$164.00 each plus a little tax ended up being $358.24 to my local Walmart store.
They will give you a nice cruise rpm at 60-70 mph.

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: Tire sizes- what are you running? Reply with quote

weasel_ugs wrote:

And.. not the best choice for sand either.. Laughing

clonebug wrote:
I just picked up a set of two new 275/60-15 BFG's
$164.00 each plus a little tax ended up being $358.24 .

That's a good price.. I checked cost through our tire distributor on that BFG size and they are currently $161.29 cost.. ($186 MSRP).. (plus tax)

If I had too.....Id pay a little more just not to let Hellmart have any of my money.. Wink

Ebay is another good place to find them reasonable with free shipping.

WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire sizes- what are you running? Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
weasel_ugs wrote:

And.. not the best choice for sand either.. Laughing

clonebug wrote:
I just picked up a set of two new 275/60-15 BFG's
$164.00 each plus a little tax ended up being $358.24 .

That's a good price.. I checked cost through our tire distributor on that BFG size and they are currently $161.29 cost.. ($186 MSRP).. (plus tax)

If I had too.....Id pay a little more just not to let Hellmart have any of my money.. Wink

Ebay is another good place to find them reasonable with free shipping.

It was over $200.00 per tire plus tax from the local Tire Store.
I'm all for not shopping at Walmart but they made it so easy by just ordering them online and I could pick which store to ship it to for no charge.
I just walked in... showed my ID and the email printout and I was out the door with the tires.

I'll take the $80.00 plus savings Walmart or not...... Wink

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16

hillmotorsports
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:16 am    Post subject: Re: Tire sizes- what are you running? Reply with quote

Somebody is making money....

I priced 275/60/15 BFG T/As at Costco in Ottawa Ontario yesterday.... $166.99 Cdn which would convert to $129.34 USD.
Similarly, 295/50/15 were $184.99 cdn, or $143.28 USD.
Plus 13% sales tax, $15/tire mounting.
Not in stock, 5-7 days to store.

Buyer beware?

(With way more projects than spare time!)
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Tire sizes- what are you running? Reply with quote

hillmotorsports wrote:
Somebody is making money....

I priced 275/60/15 BFG T/As at Costco in Ottawa Ontario yesterday.... $166.99 Cdn which would convert to $129.34 USD.
Similarly, 295/50/15 were $184.99 cdn, or $143.28 USD.
Plus 13% sales tax, $15/tire mounting.
Not in stock, 5-7 days to store.

Buyer beware?

Buyer beware.. ha.. = always..

Note.. LOTS of those tires the Big BOX stores sells are made specifically for them as to their cheapness nature.. Some model tires are only available at those type of stores.

Also,...... Exclamation
Make sure when you find and buy BFG tires cheap... they are not "Blems" ....
BFG still sells a Blemish line and are stamped "Blem"

Nothing generally structurally wrong with "Blems", they just may have some cosmetic problems such as white letter form issues, mold marks or tread deformaties.

A few years ago when I bought the 275/60's they were $125 each cash and carry at NTB and way cheaper than I could even buy directly from my tire supplier/distributor.. Made no sense to me.. (and they were not old stockor Blems )..

Same thing a month ago on some 205/60's .. I found them cheaper at Pep Boys in stock locally and I used a 20% of online coupon

When the companies buy in bulk they can get a better deal is all I can figure.
Explains the Big Box store cost..
And as for tire distributor prices.. they can "Set up" businesses with as much or as little mark up as they want to. I can price the same tires through my parts dept. (GM dealer), and comapare with the Kia dealer and our Honda dealer and 99% of the time... the Honda dealer can buy them cheaper (cost) and they are from the same tire supplier and we are on the same complex and are owned by the same company.
Thats messed up.. Mad

There are times.. Tire Rack shipped to the door is cheaper than we can even buy them for. Shocked

My mama told me... better (always) shop around... ..

clonebug wrote:

I'll take the $80.00 plus savings Walmart or not...... Wink

I still will spend a little more to avoid Hellmart... for 80 bucks maybe.. I'd just send my wife to pick them up..

Laughing
Usually and often edited
mr_bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear tire sizes - what are you running? Reply with quote

235/75R-15 GOODYEAR WRANGLERS ON 6" WIDE WHEELS...SINGLE PORT 1600CC.... H30/31 CARB

"Mr Bill"
Dos Perros Motorsports
Orange, CA
1972 Class 11x/Stock Bug
'60's era "vintage" Tunnell-Buggy

"...no one here....get's out ALIVE...."

Motor = electric
Engine = internal combustion

www.facebook.com/groups/DosPerrosMotorsports
www.alrchapter132.org
www.DAV.org
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EMPIImp69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear tire sizes - what are you running? Reply with quote

BFG Radial TA 305/50/15 on 11.5" rims

Deh Shark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear tire sizes - what are you running? Reply with quote

275/50/15 on a 10inch rim

55 3 fold Ragtop
Manx Dune buggy 2387cc
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
germanx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:14 am    Post subject: Re: Rear tire sizes - what are you running? Reply with quote

I ended up with a 245/60 tire for a 9x15 rim.
Don't fall into the trap of selecting a rim and a tire you like without having checked your backside clearance for rim and tire. And you have to consider the specific rim-offset (to place the tire "tucked in" or "sticking out" - in relation to the your fender edge, or in other words, in relation to the overall width of your body across the fender edges.)
The dark green Empi buggy above has a much wider rear width than my HAZ body. I could never fit 11.5" rims with such an offset.

A 9" wheel might actually look meatier or bigger than a 11" wheel which is tucked much more 'under' the fender.

Another aspect is the power you need to accelerate and slow down rotating masses. Each pound you add in terms of larger tire or rims counts seven times.
If your 305 tire is 5 pounds heavier than a 245, you are adding 2x5x7 = 70 pounds to the car just with the tires in the back. Wider rims will have a similar effect.
If you run a 2.3ltr turbo injection monster, you swallow that issue, but with a 60 horse 1.6 ltr you would for sure feel the slow down in acceleration...

This is why I did not go with the 275, but with the 245 - for the weight benefit of the smaller sized rubbers.

With the offset of my rear rims, I decided to use a 1" spacer disk to move the rear tire more to the outside...

clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: Rear tire sizes - what are you running? Reply with quote

I just put my new BFG 275/60-15 tires on and I have about 1.5 inch clearance to my spring plates.
I like when they are tucked under the fenders.
The Weld Wheels I use have a lot of backspace and fit my buggy perfectly I feel.
It also helps they are some of the lightest wheels on the market.

Paul.H wrote:

Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16

EMPIImp69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: Rear tire sizes - what are you running? Reply with quote

Have 245/60/14s in front. I once had lightweight CMS alum wheels on this buggy. There is very little to no difference in power and acceleration with the steel wheels I have on there now.

andygere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Rear tire sizes - what are you running? Reply with quote

I love the stance and the fat tire look on that green Empi. That body just screams for fat tires, and the old-school chrome smoothies look great with all that tire on them.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: