Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Westy Stove-front Group Refurb ~ Next batch: TBA
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tw67syncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David, thanks again for doing this! Do you have any idea when these might be complete? Just curious, I fully understand that the logistics are complicated here...
davideric9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, this always takes longer than you think, even when you think it will take longer. Latest is this.....

Tuesday, November 19, 2013 1:40 PM
Hi David,
I'm writing on behalf of Mark who is out sick today. I just wanted to give you a heads up that we will be running late with the order. Hopefully Mark will be back tomorrow and we can have your parts ready this week.
Julie

Wednesday, November 20, 2013 9:27 AM
Hi Mark and Julie,
sorry to hear Mark is sick, hope its just the crud going around and nothing serious. If you end up finishing one color, say the brown stoves, and need another day for the other color, I;d like to pick up the ones that are done so I can start the shipping process.
Thanks for keeping me in the loop,
Get well soon
David....

Wednesday, November 20, 2013 9:50 AM
Hi David,
Mark is here for the morning only, I'll keep you posted, you are at the top of the list to get done this week.
Julie

1988 Wolfsburg GL (bought 2012)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
designer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:36 pm    Post subject: No worries Reply with quote

No worries on my end, bro.

Thanks for your effort! I'll be excited to see the new front when it gets here!

Have a great weekend all...

-cc-
kuleinc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got my stove front back. Expectations exceeded, it is brand new again!
tam_shops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

COOL!!!

tam
kuleinc wrote:
Just got my stove front back. Expectations exceeded, it is brand new again!

Making it special:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=545885
adamjjohn203
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 got mine back on Friday and I'm so excited....such a big improvement to the interior!!
tam_shops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine arrived last week, but I couldn't pick it up from Blaine, WA until today! Can't thank you enough, it is Soooooooo pretty!

Before:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Before:

Being great at taking things apart and not so great at putting them back together, I was sure to staple all parts in ziplock bags to the page I took them off from. Including this one. Embarassed Rolling Eyes Embarassed

After:

If it weren't for a slight defect (*not* a complaint-as better is not a strong enough word for how much better mine now looks!!!) right over where the LED panel goes, I'd have never guessed this was even mine! I actually didn't even notice the flaw until I took the picture as the flash hit it in just the right spot. Pretty sure once it's installed you won't be able to see it at all. Know even if I do, it will remind me how happy I am that I (and you) went to all the trouble to get it updated! It's pretty, so pretty, pretty pretty pretty! So excited, if it weren't dark and -5C right now I might go and see if I can get it back in. Wink

Thank you so much!

tam

Making it special:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=545885
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy Stove-front Group Refurb ~ Next batch: 10/30/13 Reply with quote

Is this happening again, by chance? My Stove front and my under-fridge-vent are both looking a bit shabby. Has this been obviated by another product in reproduction, or a DIY thread I haven't found yet? Just curious.
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy Stove-front Group Refurb ~ Next batch: 10/30/13 Reply with quote

count me in as well. Proximity to the grunge of almost 30 years and the possible addition of a real fridge makes this look appealing.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jeffrey Lee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy Stove-front Group Refurb ~ Next batch: TBA Reply with quote

X3

Any chance of a group purchase for those of us with early-80s BROWN kitchen panels?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
baltik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Westy Stove-front Group Refurb ~ Next batch: TBA Reply with quote

For those in the Bay Area looking to do this - I had my Westy stove cover, under fridge vent, both table legs and front table mounting bracket, propane tank surround and threshold in front of slider door powder coated for $120 at NRI right by SFO. You won't get the silk screening but gowesty has the decals available...
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: Westy Stove-front Group Refurb ~ Next batch: TBA Reply with quote

baltik wrote:
For those in the Bay Area looking to do this - I had my Westy stove cover, under fridge vent, both table legs and front table mounting bracket, propane tank surround and threshold in front of slider door powder coated for $120 at NRI right by SFO. You won't get the silk screening but gowesty has the decals available...

Great tip! Do you have color names handy? Particularly for the stove front.

Thanks!!!

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
davideric9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy Stove-front Group Refurb ~ Next batch: TBA Reply with quote

I have been doing this project for a few years and have run 4 or 5 batches of stoves including a brown batch. I have no plans to run this again. If anyone wants to organize this process I can share with you my experience and help you avoid ALL the pitfalls I got caught in. PM me.

The silk screening is the expensive part as making the initial screen and printing have setup charges. These charges do not increase with the number of stoves printed, you just get a per stove charge and so spread out the set up fees across many stoves, so it works out well. Very little savings in bulk powder coating.

Many of us wanted our stoves restored to original so the decal route ran a poor second choice.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
plummerdesign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: Westy Stove-front Group Refurb ~ Next batch: TBA Reply with quote

David,

Might you happen to know the RAL number for brown powder coat?
This week I dropped off various parts for media blasting and coating but am uncertain if RAL 8028 is correct.
Thanks for any word and super glad you were able to help so many with their refinish project.
Jeffery
Irishcalifornian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

otiswesty wrote:
I found this on the UK site Brickwerks, but have had trouble getting in contact with them. I like the water volume and voltage readings.

Has anyone tried to use these Eurovan meters on a Vanagon ?
davideric9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: Westy Stove-front Group Refurb ~ Next batch: TBA Reply with quote

The RAL powder coat numbers are

BROWN = RAL 8028
GRAY = RAL 7037
westymtl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Westy Stove-front Group Refurb ~ Next batch: TBA Reply with quote

I’m reviving the threat. Since I was too late to join the last batch, I did found a place that could do the job of paint coating. The problem I have right now is that the stickers that are sold, are not like the screening or pad printing that was originally used for the level indicator and the front stove plate.
Any idea if I can use the same shop that refurbished the previous batch ?
salmonjessi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy Stove-front Group Refurb ~ Next batch: TBA Reply with quote

Anyone else needing a gray stove faceplate refurb? I wasn’t a westfalia owner at the last go ‘round...
dschaftlein
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Westy Stove-front Group Refurb ~ Next batch: TBA Reply with quote

FYI: you should be able to find a powder coater locally to do the job.

I had mine powder coated locally. I picked a close colour match off their samples and for $100 Canadian (around 75 usd)I had the stove front and table pipes, brackets fridge grills, and stove lid parts done.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy Stove-front Group Refurb ~ Next batch: TBA Reply with quote

I sanded and painted my stove front with Rust-oleum and then added decals from GW. Itks been a half a year and it still looks okay to me...

Painted the base of the battery powered stove ignitor so it blends in a bit better...

Rust Oleum Gloss Smoke Grey. It's close enough and has an added plus of reminding my of the grey color paint used to paint machines in my dad's machine shop...

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9

Jump to: