Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New Vanagon owner: tips on long road trips, hills
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fuzzyip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:53 am    Post subject: New Vanagon owner: tips on long road trips, hills Reply with quote

Hey guys, I just purchased a 1990 Automatic, stock engine Vanagon. and I wanted to get some advice on making a road trip go smoothly.

I've searched the site and for going down hills I know I shouldnt ride the brakes. I'll put it in 1 or 2 and engine break-down. Any advice on going uphill? What are signs to stop and take a break? If you do take a break, do you cut off the engine or keep it running?

Any other advice?
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: New Vanagon owner, tips on long road trips, hills Reply with quote

Welcome Fuzzy!

Buy a bumper stickers that say "PASS ME NOW & AVOID THE LINE!" & "Sorry Trucker's"

One of the big things that will kill your engine is "Lugging" it, that is too slow a speed in 4th gear. The happy spot for this engine is 3000-3500rpm
We haven't got a lot hp so the going uphill is not the greatest attribute of the vehicle.
Be Patient and go up in 3rd gear or 2nd gear if it comes to it, but keep your rpm up near the 3000 area. Letting it fall down to 2000 is do-able for about 5 sec.! Just joking! It'll last longer than that, but even cruising around town trying to come up faster road speed from 2000rpm your better off shifting down to raise the rpm...you can do it, but it's not great for the engine.
Most cars on the flat highway get their economy from the 2000 and below rpm range. Not the WBX engine. It is happiest around the 3000-3500 range. It will run all day long at this. Read up about tire size and what it does to your rpm. Buying the wrong size tire can be a real bummer for the engine and you.

Going slow uphill will also slow down the air through the radiator so make sure your radiator fan is working. Keep in mind you can turn on the heater if you start to see the temp gauge climb too high. It might help long enough to pull over and avoid over heating if it is going too hot.
Over heating the engine is the 2nd thing you want to avoid.

This is the 1st.
As a new owner CHECK YOUR FUEL LINES ON THE ENGINE. IF YOU DO NOT KNOW WHEN THE LAST TIME THEY WERE CHANGED-CHANGE THEM.
A leaking fuel hose on a hot day with a hot engine...get the marshmellows.

Last edited by Steve M. on Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:28 am; edited 2 times in total
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: New Vanagon owner, tips on long road trips, hills Reply with quote

Fuzzy has an automatic though.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: New Vanagon owner, tips on long road trips, hills Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
Fuzzy has an automatic though.

Oh okay, haven't driven one of these! My brain is in manual all the time.
You do not have manual gear selection in it if you needed to changed gears because the tranny didn't drop down to match rpm?
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: New Vanagon owner, tips on long road trips, hills Reply with quote

Your advice to keep up the revs going up hills is spot on but the auto should kick down a gear if it is lugging AFAIK.

The Western Syncro build
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: New Vanagon owner, tips on long road trips, hills Reply with quote

install an oil pressure gage, very useful to have it will forwarm you of problems, mount it on the top of dash in an easy to see spot for the driver to see it without taking eyes off the road. and of course run the correct wieght oil for climate, per the owners manual, vanagons take thicker oil than many more modern cars. 20w50 in hot weather is what is recommeneded in the manual. dont use the thin "fuel saving" 0w 20 oil such oils unless your in the artic!!!!

do a complete coolant change every two years maximum, (if using the five year antifreeze) every year if using regular antifreeze. the van is very suseptable to cooling system corrosion, so frequent replentishment of antifreeze is important, dont skimp on that.

if she over heats or oil alarm sounds, safely pull over and shut off the motor immediatly this is per the manual.

makemsure you fuel,hoses in the enginenbay are not 30 years old, replace with line dhkses, as todays governemnt mandated new fuels rot out the unlined hoses. take note of replacing the vacuum hose on the fuel,pressure regulator with highnpressure lined hose and clamp both ends. if the regulator diaphram ever fails, if will send high pressure fuel thru the vaccum hose, and if that vaccum hose fials or blows off, you will have the makings of a fire.

also get the coolant system pressure tested. caps can fail and not hold pressure, and the stock vanagon cap is not a standard cap you can find at any ole autoparts store either. thd plastic pressure tanks have been known to split and fail when old, thus the pressure test, there are now days aftermarket tank made of metal, these are pretty much non distructable. and they accept a standard pressure cap!

get to know Van Cafe for your vanagon parts, they carry lots of hard to find and many aftermarket new and improved parts. see their website.

http://www.van-cafe.com

anyway the main thing is proabaly fire safety so check out the fuel,hoses and the aforementioned vacuum hose (also the fuel,bulkhead fitting, eliminate it, it is plastic and can fail, mine did!)
good luck, have fun!!!!!!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: New Vanagon owner, tips on long road trips, hills Reply with quote

one thing of caution to automatic owners DO NOT coast in neutral down any long grades, the internal pumps don't provide enough lubrication at low RPM & high road speeds.

edit: topic for reference http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=511275

don't turn it off when you get to the top of a mtn, keep the coolant circulating so the fan can cool the motor. else you can and will get boil over.

Last edited by danfromsyr on Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:29 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: New Vanagon owner, tips on long road trips, hills Reply with quote

Depending on the hill and how often the tranny is shifting up and down it can be beneficial to just move the lever so that the tranny will not upshift. Then just sit back and take it easy until the road levels out.

Doesn't hurt anything to use moderately high engine revs to get the job done, the engine can take it.
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: New Vanagon owner: tips on long road trips, hills Reply with quote

Fuzzyip wrote:
I just purchased a 1990 Automatic, stock engine Vanagon.

Congrats!

Fuzzyip wrote:
I've searched the site and for going down hills I know I shouldnt ride the brakes. I'll put it in 1 or 2 and engine break-down.

The general rule of thumb when going down a hill is to be in the gear you would be in going up. However, this depends on the roadway. For example, traveling on I-17 (divided 4-lane) outside of Phoenix, I have to downshift my '90 into 2nd gear going up the Bumble Bee grade, but coming back down it's left in 3rd/D (the same goes for highway 62 in CA between Yucca Valley and I-10). Another example is highway 89 between Congress and Yarnell: My '90 can go about 3/4ths up that grade in 3rd, but coming back down I put it into 2nd near the top.

So, it all depends on the situation. Wink

Fuzzyip wrote:
Any advice on going uphill? What are signs to stop and take a break? If you do take a break, do you cut off the engine or keep it running?

When your speed starts dropping, downshift (I, personally, do not rely on the kickdown). Prior I-17 example: When my van is going up the Bumble Bee pass (speed limit is 65 in that section), I let it drop to 55 and throw the flashers on; once it gets to 45-50, I downshift into 2nd and pass semi's. Very Happy

Keep in mind, however, that VW stipulates a max speed in those lower gears: First gear it's 33 mph, second gear it's 54-55 mph.

My van has never had a temp issue climbing hills; its fan will run quite a bit, but that's what it's supposed to do (if the fan doesn't run and the temp gauge needle is nearing the max line, that's a sign to pull over). At the top of mountain climbs, if I'm parking, I'll let it idle for a minute; otherwise, keep on trucking.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: New Vanagon owner: tips on long road trips, hills Reply with quote

OK so new owner check list..
this isn't a check it, this is a evaluate and REPLACE

the PLASTIC coolant tower behind the PS firewall, these will spit out a plastic welded plug w/o notice. replace with a new/metal unit.

the NYLON fuel junction on the PS firewall. if this is still there replace with metal unit or bypass.

the fuel lines, ALL/EVERY inch. many get some of the easier lines replaced, leaving the hard to get ones as the most failure prone.. of note, the short rubber line from the PS nylon fitting to the nylon fuel supply line. I've seen these with the clamps completely corroded.. they have to hold back ~34# of gas and can spray alot when do let loose.

Plastic rear heater line T-s. the hoses to the rear heater connect with T fittings that either corrode (metal) or crack (plastic) and give little warning.
same for the coolant T-fittings on the transmission cooler.

some say to update/replace the Trans cooler before it mixes ATF& Coolant.
same is said for the engine oil cooler above the oil filter.

make sure you have the PROPER spec'd oil for your climate & a proper WIX, MANN, MAHLE filter.. not an cheapie filter with a weak internal spring.

Ohh and tires.. how old are they and what is the size & WEIGHT rating?
make sure they have a WEIGHT rating of at least 98, but we like 100+

Flush the brake fluid till it runs clear/clean. if you can't do this, most service garages will do it. the old contaminated fluid will boil easily resulting in brake fade when your heavy automatic westy is barreling down on a town at the base of a mtn. use the highest boiling point DOT you can at least DOT4
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: New Vanagon owner: tips on long road trips, hills Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
use the highest boiling point DOT you can at least DOT4

DOT 3 or 4 should be used, NOT 5. It is not compatible with 3 or 4 which is what is likely already in the brake lines. AFAIK.

The Western Syncro build
dr. no
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: New Vanagon owner: tips on long road trips, hills Reply with quote

When the radiator fan comes on, IT"S OK! It's loud, but it's supposed to come on when the radiator is getting hot.

'83.5 Westy s/p 1.6td JX and 4sp DK transplant--wonderful!
'86 MB 300GD
'06 MB Sprinter
'17 BMW X1
'89 Isuzu Trooper

PAST VWs:
'82 NA diesel Vanagon
'86 7-passenger Vanagon
'77 Bay
'71 Bay
'74 Things (2)
'69 Karmann Ghia (the only one I miss--in nice weather, anyway...)
'91 Fox
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: New Vanagon owner: tips on long road trips, hills Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
OK so new owner check list..
this isn't a check it, this is a evaluate and REPLACE

the PLASTIC coolant tower behind the PS firewall, these will spit out a plastic welded plug w/o notice. replace with a new/metal unit.

the NYLON fuel junction on the PS firewall. if this is still there replace with metal unit or bypass.

the fuel lines, ALL/EVERY inch. many get some of the easier lines replaced, leaving the hard to get ones as the most failure prone.. of note, the short rubber line from the PS nylon fitting to the nylon fuel supply line. I've seen these with the clamps completely corroded.. they have to hold back ~34# of gas and can spray alot when do let loose.

Plastic rear heater line T-s. the hoses to the rear heater

connect with T fittings that either corrode (metal) or crack (plastic) and give little warning.
same for the coolant T-fittings on the transmission cooler.

some say to update/replace the Trans cooler before it mixes ATF& Coolant.
same is said for the engine oil cooler above the oil filter.

make sure you have the PROPER spec'd oil for your climate & a proper WIX, MANN, MAHLE filter.. not an cheapie filter with a weak internal spring.

Ohh and tires.. how old are they and what is the size & WEIGHT rating?
make sure they have a WEIGHT rating of at least 98, but we like 100+

Flush the brake fluid till it runs clear/clean. if you can't do this, most service garages will do it. the old contaminated fluid will boil easily resulting in brake fade when your heavy automatic westy is barreling down on a town at the base of a mtn. use the highest boiling point DOT you can at least DOT4

good qdvice above, Ill add that you should replace the fuel regulator vaccum hose too, use a high pressure hose, NOT the weaker vaccum hoses, and clamp both ends. if the regulator rubber diaphram ever ruptures, the high pressure fuel will be sent into that vacuum hose, and if that hose blows apart, or blows off the nipples it will spray fuel and may well start a fire. if the leaked fuel is contained by a high pressure hose with clamps, it will si ply enter the intake and your engine will stall out for richness, no fuel spilled on the engine, hence no fire hazard.

good luck

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: New Vanagon owner: tips on long road trips, hills Reply with quote

besides my sig., print out the thread on the neutral safety switch & keep in the Van in case it doesn't start - you can hotwire around it

see the spares thread also

re hills, they will be smooth, just very very slow
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: