Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

A Kadrons carb walk-thru
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
storm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:29 am    Post subject: A Kadrons carb walk-thru Reply with quote

New to Kadrons, but not new to vw's. First time installing these carbs on a 2027 engine. Has about 1500 miles. At first broke in engine with a Weber progressive. After that installed Hpmx 44s ran ok but at that time when gas was $3.50 gallon was not getting good mileage. The engine ran good at all rpms. So talked to other club members and they recommended me to look into Kadrons. Decided to contact Jeff at Kaddieshack. He put together a set 40s w/32 vents. Put the carbs on follow all of his instructions. All is good. Started engine adjusted mixture screws per his you tube video. When I build an engine I include 3 gauges oil temp, oil pressure, and cylinder head temp. It's just to know what's going on back there. Upon driving the '66 bus with a freeway flyer trans, notice a higher head temp on the 1&2 side. 375-410 degrees. Not comfortable with that. 3/4 side 285 degrees. Oil pressure 20 at idle 42 at 60 mph. Oil temp 185. All of this on a 85 degree day. Contacted Jeff via e-mail and in a short period of time responded. He indicated to me to check for vacuum leaks and other important steps. Check those steps one step at a time. That means what I change made a difference. A good idea was to switch carbs side to side to see if it was a carb issue. Did that, but no change on temperature 1/2 side. Read somewhere on the samba an article about the idle circuit can be block via the gasket interference. So, look on the 1/2 side, change to a new gasket between carb and manifold and where the idle circuit cut the gasket to exposed more of the idle port. Well that made a difference. The mixture had to be rich in up and the temp on 1/2 side came down to match 3/4 side. But this is only when the engine is idling. Took out for a drive to put a load on. As I was accelerating pulled good, when the bus reached the 60 mph I got sneezing out of the carbs transition fron idle jets to mains? Jeff at Kaddieshack jetted these carbs, I know that one can build the same engine twice and get two different jet combinations. I am NOT blaming the carbs. Kaddieshack is good to walk you thru to get your ride going. I asked Jeff to send me fatter jets, even thou he thinks its something else. It could be. I respect his judgment. Stay tune to see what happens. G.
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: A Kadrons carb walk-thru Reply with quote

Mph is no use, we need RPM to troubleshoot properly... also, 2027 tells nothing without actual details.

Elevation?

What heads? What valve sizes?

Cam?

What exhaust? Type/diameter...

Jets? You should have the numbers stamped on the jets, 55idle, 130main is stock, if Kaddie Shack pulled that crap where he won't mark the jets or tell you the size I would buy elsewhere and start over on jetting to be safe. Aircooled.net is the absolute best place to buy jets. They are marked and come in more sizes than the "other two guys" provide them in. Without knowing for sure what elevation you are at or what jets are in there now you are sort of in the dark, but going up a size on your idle would be a good start. (60mph with a freeway flyer is pretty low RPM for proper cooling in a bus btw)

Timing? Sputtering can be detonation from over advance. Grab a timing gun, do not set it statically. My kadrons behaved just as sputtery around 2600RPM until I checked the advance and found I was at 35° total, I backed it down to 31° and the issue disappeared. Had a flat spot off idle until I went to an SVDA (that i recurved myself) from a german 009, now they run perfectly.

Almost every carb problem end up either fuel pressure or electrical/ignition in nature once jetting is down correctly.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!

Last edited by Lingwendil on Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:39 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: A Kadrons carb walk-thru Reply with quote

Just because the jet has numbers on them doesn't mean they are correct.

I had a brand new jet marked 140 and when measured it was 170 so don't trust too much.

Get a set of tools to measure them if you really want to know whats going on.

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
storm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: A Kadrons carb walk-thru Reply with quote

Storm here, yes, the jets are not marked. So Jeff from Kaddieshack knows but I don't. I also have a set of jet gauges. So I measure, but I am not telling you what I have. Jeff is going thru the step by step process. He is the carb geru. 2027, 78.8 x90.5, Scat 110 cam, Mofoco 050 heads, 40x35.5 ported, svda Ac.net dissy w/Pertonics ignition. Sea level, 1-1/2 sidewinder A-1, other Gene Berg goodies. Rancho trans geared 4.1 at wheel. 60 mph at 2800rpm. Have tech. No cooling issues. Have oil thermostat and cooler. Doghouse fan with thermostat and flaps. Engine built by me carefully with attention to details. G
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:25 am    Post subject: Re: A Kadrons carb walk-thru Reply with quote

what is your total timing advance?

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
VWCOOL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:46 am    Post subject: Re: A Kadrons carb walk-thru Reply with quote

2800rpm at 60... Hmmm maybe check your tacho accuracy

I love Kaddies, have daily driven and track-thrashed them plenty!
vwinnovator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: A Kadrons carb walk-thru Reply with quote

storm wrote:
Storm here, yes, the jets are not marked. So Jeff from Kaddieshack knows but I don't. I also have a set of jet gauges. So I measure, but I am not telling you what I have. Jeff is going thru the step by step process. He is the carb geru. 2027, 78.8 x90.5, Scat 110 cam, Mofoco 050 heads, 40x35.5 ported, svda Ac.net dissy w/Pertonics ignition. Sea level, 1-1/2 sidewinder A-1, other Gene Berg goodies. Rancho trans geared 4.1 at wheel. 60 mph at 2800rpm. Have tech. No cooling issues. Have oil thermostat and cooler. Doghouse fan with thermostat and flaps. Engine built by me carefully with attention to details. G

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Proprietary information so a novice can't tune his own engine......
guys gonna make a Million$$$ with his confidential hadron tuning recipe...
rockurob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: A Kadrons carb walk-thru Reply with quote

storm wrote:

Popcorn Rolling Eyes
"no-tell.... motel time"

70 Baja Street Rod Project
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1644125.jpg
Drag Buggy project:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1726674.jpg
61 Rag Project:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=1188580
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: A Kadrons carb walk-thru Reply with quote

rockurob wrote:
storm wrote:

Popcorn Rolling Eyes
"no-tell.... motel time"

Is there a point to this thread? Storm your thread title is "A Kadron carb walk-thru." But you have not asked a question or offered any useful information. Is the purpose of this thread is to boast about how much money you have wasted on a poorly tuned set of carbs?
I don't get it!
Have a great day.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: A Kadrons carb walk-thru Reply with quote

vwinnovator wrote:
storm wrote:

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Proprietary information so a novice can't tune his own engine......
guys gonna make a Million$$$ with his confidential hadron tuning recipe...

Utter nonsense!

I can't stand Super Secret Club style marketing and business practices. these arent some patented secret formula, they are precision reamed holes in a piece of metal. Lowbugget and Kaddieshack aren't really doing anybody any service or favors with this crap, it's childish, and half the time the jetting is pig-rich and wrong anyway.

I helped one of my girls get her kadrons she bought as a kit from kaddieshack dialed in on her 1835 for her ghia. she paid to have them all set up, rebushed and everything. engine ran like crap from being fat at all RPMs and the SVDA mod was not ported correctly for vacuum (both ports were blocked, instead of just the lower being blocked off) no response from any email for support. we grabbed a set of jet gauges and found the idle was equivalent to a 70, and the main a 140 Shocked for a stock valve 1835, stock cam, and hideway exhaust at sea level! swapped in a set of jets from aircooled.net (57.5 and 132) and plug readings were spot on.

If you pay John at aircooled.net to jet and set up carbs you buy from him the jets are clearly marked (or at least listed) and there are no secrets or anything. This says a lot about the way he does things.

/rant
sorry, this shit just gets old

OP, if jeff has it handled, why are you asking here? If we know your jet sizes he wont go out of business...

borrow or rent a wideband if you want to know for sure what you need to do.

storm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: A Kadrons carb walk-thru Reply with quote

Found out that a small crack in the intake manifold on #2 were balance tube in connected. Put a little jb weld and sealed fitting and temp went down to match other cylinders. 285 degrees on a 92 degree day. When going faster like 60 mph 3200 rpm temps went up to 310 and a lean sounding pop once a while. Kaddieshack sent me +1 main jets and temps went down. All is good. G
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: A Kadrons carb walk-thru Reply with quote

storm wrote:

Just an FYI.....Mofoco 050's have 42mm x 37.5mm stainless steel valves.

https://www.facebook.com/mofoco?ref=ts&fref=ts

www.mofoco.com

Cylinder Head Reference Sheet
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
storm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: A Kadrons carb walk-thru Reply with quote

Roy, are you sure I purchase these heads 15-18 years ago. Can't remember, As with the other people that responded to this thread, I am simply saying that I had a problem. Kaddieshack help me thru it. Either it was a carb issue or a another problem not related. They (Jeff ) was kindly walk me thru the various steps. All it was a small vacuum leak on cylinder 2 manifold. Most likely my fault. Who cares about what jet number. The bus purrs down the country road. And when it's safe to do so, I stump on the pedal an their she goes. G.
MConstable
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: A Kadrons carb walk-thru Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
rockurob wrote:
storm wrote:

Popcorn Rolling Eyes
"no-tell.... motel time"

Is there a point to this thread? Storm your thread title is "A Kadron carb walk-thru." But you have not asked a question or offered any useful information. Is the purpose of this thread is to boast about how much money you have wasted on a poorly tuned set of carbs?
I don't get it!
Have a great day.

Agreed 100%
This thread is pointless and worthless
kevlarian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:03 pm    Post subject: Re: A Kadrons carb walk-thru Reply with quote

storm wrote:
Storm here...60 mph at 2800rpm. Have tech.

That is about where mine is. Running a Rancho tranny with a .82 4th gear and. 4.12 pinion. How does she run with the Kads? I'm running a 1915 with Kads. I love the setup except for that crazy 2/4 idle issue... But I'm told that is normal.
kevlarian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:06 pm    Post subject: Re: A Kadrons carb walk-thru Reply with quote

VWCOOL wrote:
2800rpm at 60... Hmmm maybe check your tacho accuracy

I love Kaddies, have daily driven and track-thrashed them plenty!
i
Dude. That RPM is normal for a .82 / 4.12 gearing.

I've had a good discussion on my Kad issue. Sounds like you know your way around Kads. Do you have the 2/4 only idle issue?
storm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: A Kadrons carb walk-thru Reply with quote

Storm here, Mconstable. If this thread is worthless to you why do you even bother to respond. Other Vws hoppy east found this thread informative.
storm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: A Kadrons carb walk-thru Reply with quote

Kavvlarian, .82 4th gear w/3.88 r&p. w/ redux gears big nut. Tall gearing. My rpm is problemly to tall. But the engine pulls good with a 110 cam. Tires 195/70/15. No cooling issues. Also the kads runs fine at idle 850 rpm. G
kevlarian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: A Kadrons carb walk-thru Reply with quote

storm wrote:
Kavvlarian, .82 4th gear w/3.88 r&p. w/ redux gears big nut. Tall gearing. My rpm is problemly to tall. But the engine pulls good with a 110 cam. Tires 195/70/15. No cooling issues. Also the kads runs fine at idle 850 rpm. G

I'm running .82/4.12 on the forth/pinion. I'm running about 2800-2900 at 60. Happy with the gearing. Thinking of going to a 205/70 or 205/75 to add a little more top end.

My issue (and I'd like to see you try it), is that at idle, I can pull plugs on cyl 1 & 3 and the car will idle just fine. Won't even notice that they are pulled. I've talked to John @ aircooled.net and AJ at LowBugget, and both say that is normal. I find it difficult to believe that is the way it should run, but it appears that is the way!

Can you tell me what your experience is?
MConstable
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: A Kadrons carb walk-thru Reply with quote

storm wrote:
Storm here, Mconstable. If this thread is worthless to you why do you even bother to respond. Other Vws hoppy east found this thread informative.

I apologize "storm"
I erroneously thought that, based on the title of your thread, that there would be some sort of Kadron information.
The only information you've given is that you failed to notice a cracked intake.
Where is the "walk through"?
Lol

Again, I am truly sorry to have somehow misinterpreted this thread to actually give some some information based on the title.

My bad
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: