Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Alternatives to engine bay tarboards?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should I try Dynamat/QuickRoof as an engine bay tarboard alternative?
NO! It'll peel off and burn down the bug.
100%
 100%  [ 1 ]
No, and running without the tarboard won't make it terribly much louder
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Yes, it's been tried and works well/without trouble.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 1

carpespasm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:26 pm    Post subject: Alternatives to engine bay tarboards? Reply with quote

I'm currently in the process of freshening/resuscitating my 1971 super (see "The Bug with no name" thread, and getting close to ready to pop the engine back in, but I'm a bit stuck on the tarboards.

The side ones went in without much incident, but the one that goes into the firewall has been a right pain. Can't seem for the life of me to get it into place (despite trimming, cajoling, and cussing at it) without having it bowed up or folding over the stabby-tabs that hold it in place.

So my thought is, many people extol the virtues of dynamat/quickroof (see here http://1967beetle.com/sound-deadening/) for sound deadening, and I'm curious how well or not this stuff will hold up installed in place of the firwall tarboard. It's not as rigid, but is adhesive, and though the engine heat might make the adhesive less effective (maybe, it is meant to be stuck to a hot roof) there's the stabby tabs to help hold it in place. I was thinking of going around the seams with some aluminum ductwork tape (not duct tape) for added stick'em.

In trying to find out if anyone's done this, or how much of an impact running without the tarboard entirely has I've been drawing a blank, so I figured I'd ask specifically if anyone's tried, and if so how well or horribly has it gone? Question Question Question

EDIT: Just noticed in the comments on this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7eIF4cgFx4&spfreload=5 That Chris Vallone and a few others have mentioned hot areas and this stuff don't get along well. I'll leave this post up for posterior-ity sake. Razz
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternatives to engine bay tarboards? Reply with quote

All I know is stay away from the Eastwood stuff on vertical surfaces, it doesn't like heat and melts. I used some on the to insulate the rods on my doors and now I have black goo the bottom of my door.

brad
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: Alternatives to engine bay tarboards? Reply with quote

I pass on the tar boards and double up on sound proofing on the other side of the 'firewall' in the luggage area.
VW Wiring = It's just wires
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: