Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New Starter. Sounds funky
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
LocknFestBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:28 am    Post subject: New Starter. Sounds funky Reply with quote

There was nothing wrong with the starter that came with my 68 Bug, but I was going on a long trip and since I replaced the battery and alternator, I decided to change the starter out too.
I bought a new Bosch starter online and the first thing I noticed is it was smaller than what I remember VW starters being. The mounting flange was good, but the motor itself seemed really small.
I changed it out and it definetely started faster than usual, but I didn't like the sound it made. Not really a bad grinding noise, but just different. I have only had it in two weeks, but yesterday when I started it, it seemed to run on untill I revved the engine slightly.
I love the fact that it is a Bosch, but I'm not confident in it and am thinking of putting the old one back in....
Do I need to shim it? Something just don't sound quite right with it.
Mr.Duncan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: New Starter. Sounds funky Reply with quote

Autostick self supporting style starter?

This one?

https://www.amazon.com/Bosch-SR15N-New-Starter/dp/B000BZJRZS?ie=UTF8&*Version*=1&*entries*=0

They do sound slightly different.

No, you don't shim VW starters. (small block chevys do.)

I'd say its normal.

Red 1971 Squareback Thread
Red 1966 Beetle Thread
---------------------------------------------------
1971 Green Super Beetle (sold)
1966 Ghia (sold)
1971 Blue Super Beetle (sold)
1966 Java Green Std Beetle (sold)
1971 Red Squareback (sold)
1966 Red Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: New Starter. Sounds funky Reply with quote

LocknFestBug wrote:
There was nothing wrong with the starter that came with my 68 Bug, but I was going on a long trip and ..... I decided to change the starter out too.

"Never trouble trouble until trouble troubles you". I cannot see the logic why you decided to monkey with a good starter. I hope you didn't replace an operational alternator....maybe I can understand some the battery.

No shims used. Did you change the starter bushing? If mine, I think I'd re-install the first starter and see what it does. Use a dab of grease on the starter bushing, and on the teeth.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
LocknFestBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: New Starter. Sounds funky Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:

"Never trouble trouble until trouble troubles you". I cannot see the logic why you decided to monkey with a good starter. I hope you didn't replace an operational alternator....maybe I can understand some the battery.

Not knowing exactly how old it was, and since I wanted to update my charging/starting system since I needed to replace my bad Alternator anyway.
Cusser wrote:

No shims used. Did you change the starter bushing? If mine, I think I'd re-install the first starter and see what it does. Use a dab of grease on the starter bushing, and on the teeth.

I didn't change the starter bushing, this might be it. I also might need to add the grease which I didn't do either. Thanks Cusser!

@ Mr. Duncan, Yes that is the one I bought.
Mr.Duncan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: New Starter. Sounds funky Reply with quote

LocknFestBug wrote:

I didn't change the starter bushing, this might be it. I also might need to add the grease which I didn't do either. Thanks Cusser!

@ Mr. Duncan, Yes that is the one I bought.

That style Starter does not require replacing, OR removing the bushing since it does not use it.

Its self supporting.

Red 1966 Beetle Thread
1966 Ghia (sold)
1966 Red Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TX-73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: New Starter. Sounds funky Reply with quote

I also have that starter, it def spins that engine fast. Mine will barely do a a spin before it starts. This may sound strange but maybe you're used to the old starter and holding the key to start a bit too long now for the new starter? I had to think about that in my case. Mr D has heard and seen this on my bug.
LocknFestBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: New Starter. Sounds funky Reply with quote

Mr.Duncan wrote:

That style Starter does not require replacing, OR removing the bushing since it does not use it.

Its self supporting.

Looking again at the picture in the add, mine seemed to have more rod on the end of it than just the start gear. https://www.amazon.com/AA-Performance-Products-Sta...A5VFJ7804D

Before I installed it, it looked exactly like the old one.
Mr.Duncan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: New Starter. Sounds funky Reply with quote

LocknFestBug wrote:

Before I installed it, it looked exactly like the old one.

Then yes, It has a starter bushing. If its like the one in the photo you just linked.

Red 1966 Beetle Thread
1966 Ghia (sold)
1966 Red Beetle
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: New Starter. Sounds funky Reply with quote

If your starter was the same in the pic (the pic has the bronze bushing on the snout of the gear) you should definitely install the new bushing that should have come in the box with the starter. You'll need to remove the starter to get to the bushing. While you have it out, look for obvious signs of wear. Lube the inside of the bushing and the tip of the starter gear before reinstalling.

If the starter body was smaller (newer more efficient design) you should expect a different sound/tone to the starter. After you replace the bushing, as long as the sound is not a grinding sound, I'd not worry about it.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: New Starter. Sounds funky Reply with quote

The starter in your ad is not a Bosch. Nowhere did I see the name Boash in the ad. Also, your new starter maybbe smaller compared to your old one because your old one was the larger, heavier auto-stick starter.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
LocknFestBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: New Starter. Sounds funky Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:
The starter in your ad is not a Bosch. Nowhere did I see the name Boash in the ad. Also, your new starter maybbe smaller compared to your old one because your old one was the larger, heavier auto-stick starter.

Tim

That pic in the link is not the starter I bought.
I only used it to point out what type of starter I have. I definitely have a Bosch in the car. Sorry, I should have been more specific.
I'll pull the starter and see whats up.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: New Starter. Sounds funky Reply with quote

Does he have to pull the engine to replace the bushing?

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: New Starter. Sounds funky Reply with quote

Supposedly, there is a tool to tap in and replace the bushing from the transmission side. But ... I just paid a little extra and bought a new Bosch auto-stick. No bushing to mess with.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
LocknFestBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: New Starter. Sounds funky Reply with quote

I've decided to go ahead and replace the starter with a new Bosch starter that doesn't require the bushing, and sell the one I have in it now.

Thanks for all the input everyone. Very Happy

Bill
LocknFestBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: New Starter. Sounds funky Reply with quote

I removed the starter and installed a new self supporting Bosch SR15N autostick starter. and now it starts immediately!
New starter, new alternator, new battery, new ground strap, what a difference!

Now on to replacing the mechanical fuel pump with an electric.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: New Starter. Sounds funky Reply with quote

LocknFestBug wrote:
I removed the starter and installed a new self supporting Bosch SR15N autostick starter. and now it starts immediately!
New starter, new alternator, new battery, new ground strap, what a difference!

Good.

LocknFestBug wrote:

Better think this idea over....
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
LocknFestBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: New Starter. Sounds funky Reply with quote

LocknFestBug wrote:

Cusser wrote:
Better think this idea over....

Why do you say this?

I have an old fuel pump on it right now and have no idea how old it is. By trying to isolate a hard start while hot issue, I replaced it once with a new aftermarket fuel pump and I got maybe 3 miles out of it before it broke. The cheap metal lever that the rod rests on snapped. I used the right size rod, new flange and gasket. I don't want to waste any more money on cheaply made aftermarket parts that always seem to fail in a short time.
Having no idea how old my present fuel pump is, I also don't want to risk the diaphragm getting a hole in it and getting gas in my oil.
I have thought about the electric fuel pump for quite some time now and already have it, but haven't installed it yet. I have the Carter pump with the metal fuel filter, and a new relay.
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: New Starter. Sounds funky Reply with quote

From my pov, there is nothing WRONG with an electric fuel pump. The benefits you quote are reasons to want an electric pump over mechanical. You seem to have bought a good quality pump (Carter vs. generic) which is one of the big problems with switching from mechanical to electric.

There are a few things that electric fuel pump owners need to watch closely (some you have already taken into consideration):
    The use of a relay that shuts off the electric fuel pump when the engine stops (or after a strong shock to the car). This will prevent fuel being pumped from the tank after a crash creating a dangerous fire hazard situation.

Cheap generic fuel pumps have less consistent pressures. Buy a good quality pump.

Fuel pressure regulator. Most electric fuel pumps for carbs were meant for larger engines that expected 5-10psi of fuel pressure. The stock Solex carbs are rated for 2-5psi of fuel pressure and favor just 2-3psi. Without fuel pressure regulation (regulator) many electric pumps will flood the carb and overpower the Solex inlet valve/float.

Electric pumps tend to be "pusher" pumps. This means they need to be installed up front below the tank.

Electric pumps may be more sensitive to dirt in the fuel. Install a good fuel filter upstream of the pump.

Last edited by ashman40 on Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:35 am; edited 1 time in total
LocknFestBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: New Starter. Sounds funky Reply with quote

ashman40 wrote:
From my pov, there is nothing WRONG with an electric fuel pump. The benefits you quote are reasons to want an electric pump over mechanical. You seem to have bought a good quality pump (Carter vs. generic) which is one of the big problems with switching from mechanical to electric.

There are a few things that electric fuel pump owners need to watch closely (some you have already taken into consideration):
    The use of a relay that shuts off the electric fuel pump when the engine stops (or after a strong shock to the car). This will prevent fuel being pumped from the tank after a crash creating a dangerous fire hazard situation.

Absoluteley. I have a relay and will be wiring it up to my oil light.

ashman40 wrote:

Fuel pressure regulator. Most electric fuel pumps for carbs were meant for larger engines that expected 5-10psi of fuel pressure. The stock Solex carbs are rated for 2-5psi of fuel pressure and favor just 2-3psi. Without fuel pressure regulation (regulator) many electric pumps will flood the carb and overpower the Soles inlet valve/float.

I wasn't sure if I needed a regulator with the Carter pump. I got the idea from a post on here and the guy didn't use a regulator....

ashman40 wrote:
Electric pumps tend to be "pusher" pumps. This means they need to be installed up front below the tank.

Electric pumps may be more sensitive to dirt in the fuel. Install a good fuel filter upstream of the pump.
Good points! Thank you!
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: New Starter. Sounds funky Reply with quote

LocknFestBug wrote:
I wasn't sure if I needed a regulator with the Carter pump. I got the idea from a post on here and the guy didn't use a regulator....

You didn't note the model# of your Carter pump. What is the rated output? Does it have an internal regulator? If it is 5psi or higher, you should consider a regulator. Again, don't go with the cheap dial regulators. From what I've heard, finding a regulator that can dial down to 2psi is a challenge.

While the Solex is rated to up to 5psi, many of the inlet valves and floats cannot handle this much pressures and will end up flooding. Try your pump without the regulator and see if the fuel bowl overflows with the pump on and the engine not running. Check the fuel level after a few minutes and make sure the float + inlet can maintain the proper level (3/4" from top).
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: