Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

no power
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tmartintk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:07 pm    Post subject: no power Reply with quote

Hey..I'm going to try to explain this the best I can. I have a rail buggy with a 1972 1600 dual port. I can shift through first and second gears normal...but when I shift to third and fourth I gain no additional power..it still feels like I'm in second...what would cause this ..it's has a hydraulic clutch
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:09 am    Post subject: Re: no power Reply with quote

Throttle opening all the way?
too big of back tires?
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: no power Reply with quote

Quote:
I can shift through first and second gears normal...but when I shift to third and fourth I gain no additional power..it still feels like I'm in second..

If the RPMS don't change, you just think your shifting into higher gears. Cool
VW Wiring = It's just wires
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tmartintk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: no power Reply with quote

runamoc wrote:
Quote:
I can shift through first and second gears normal...but when I shift to third and fourth I gain no additional power..it still feels like I'm in second..

What would cause that..first second and reverse work fine ..but third and forth run the same speed and rpm as second
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: no power Reply with quote

tmartintk wrote:
runamoc wrote:
Quote:

What would cause that..first second and reverse work fine ..but third and forth run the same speed and rpm as second

Maybe the shifter 'fork' inside of the transaxle end cap isn't engaging.
VW Wiring = It's just wires
David_nc_72std
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: no power Reply with quote

tmartintk wrote:
I can shift through first and second gears normal...but when I shift to third and fourth I gain no additional power..it still feels like I'm in second...what would cause this ..it's has a hydraulic clutch

Has the car always been like this, or it it a recent development?

Just to verify, you do mean a hydraulically operated clutch, and not a torque converter.
tmartintk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: no power Reply with quote

David_nc_72std wrote:
tmartintk wrote:
I can shift through first and second gears normal...but when I shift to third and fourth I gain no additional power..it still feels like I'm in second...what would cause this ..it's has a hydraulic clutch

Has the car always been like this, or it it a recent development?

Just to verify, you do mean a hydraulically operated clutch, and not a torque converter.

Yes hydraulic operated clutch ...and it's been like this since I got it
tmartintk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: no power Reply with quote

Would low transmission fluid cause this
David_nc_72std
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: no power Reply with quote

tmartintk wrote:
...and it's been like this since I got it

Any chance the previous owner changed the 3rd/4th gears to something with a gear ratio closer to 2nd?
tmartintk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: no power Reply with quote

David_nc_72std wrote:
tmartintk wrote:

Any chance the previous owner changed the 3rd/4th gears to something with a gear ratio closer to 2nd?

I have no clue ...would low transmission fluid cause it...I kind of feels like the clutch is still pressed ...like its not completely releasing ..but doesn't do it in first and second ..only third and fourth
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: no power Reply with quote

tmartintk wrote:
David_nc_72std wrote:
tmartintk wrote:

I have no clue ...would low transmission fluid cause it...I kind of feels like the clutch is still pressed ...like its not completely releasing ..but doesn't do it in first and second ..only third and fourth

I believe that your clutch might be slipping-. Worn out or oiled up.-------is this your first car (or whatever it is) with a manual transmission?
tmartintk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: no power Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
tmartintk wrote:
David_nc_72std wrote:
tmartintk wrote:

I believe that your clutch might be slipping-. Worn out or oiled up.-------is this your first car (or whatever it is) with a manual transmission?

No this is my third rail buggy
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: no power Reply with quote

tmartintk wrote:
iowegian wrote:
tmartintk wrote:
David_nc_72std wrote:
tmartintk wrote:

Well, then I suppose you have a notion of what a slipping clutch feels like, no?
Unless your other rail buggies have been rollin' with the Powerglide or Dynaflow.
tmartintk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: no power Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
tmartintk wrote:
iowegian wrote:
tmartintk wrote:
David_nc_72std wrote:
tmartintk wrote:

Well, then I suppose you have a notion of what a slipping clutch feels like, no?
Unless your other rail buggies have been rollin' with the Powerglide or Dynaflow.
No I have no clue what one feels like
Mos6502
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: no power Reply with quote

tmartintk wrote:
runamoc wrote:
Quote:

Are you completely sure the rpm doesn't change in relation to a given speed in a given gear?

If the clutch is slipping you'll have more of a problem in high gears than low gears, it would be best that you check the adjustment of the clutch.
tmartintk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: no power Reply with quote

Mos6502 wrote:
tmartintk wrote:
runamoc wrote:
Quote:

Are you completely sure the rpm doesn't change in relation to a given speed in a given gear?

If the clutch is slipping you'll have more of a problem in high gears than low gears, it would be best that you check the adjustment of the clutch.

It's got a hydraulic clutch slave ..what would be best way to adjust
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: