Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

68 Beetle start
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jamlit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:55 am    Post subject: 68 Beetle start Reply with quote

Well I was supposed to be getting a 58 but the deal fell through as the seller screwed me over. I ended up getting this 68 basket case project. Was lucky as the seller had many parts and I was able to get the early 60's fenders and engine cover which are some of the features I really liked.

Here is a quick pic of the start. It will take some time to get it where I want it but as you know you need to start somewhere

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
LocknFestBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: 68 Beetle start Reply with quote

Good luck with your '68.
I had a 68 back in '74, and I can still remember how it drove. I loved how it handled. I bought my current 68 daily driver over a year ago and it needed some tweaking, but I have finally gotten it to handle and drive like back in the day. Brings back a lot of memories...
Out of all the VW Bugs I've had over the years, most have been '68's.
Jamlit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: 68 Beetle start Reply with quote

Well it been awhile but I am started on my project. Ended up building a shop as the garage on the house wasn't going to work for this long project. Didn't have much yard space but managed to get a decent size built. Still need to finish insulating it and will need heat before next winter.

So now that I am started i would like some help as the body I started with is a bit of a basket case and I am concerned that the way it has been stored and moved around before I got it may have it a bit out of shape. As you will see in the pictures it only had a piece of pipe welded into the door opening to hold it somewhat it shape.

Jamlit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: 68 Beetle start Reply with quote

I bought a 75 beetle so I would have a complete IRS chassie. There were a ton of good parts and I was able to save.

Jamlit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: 68 Beetle start Reply with quote

So now on to the fun part. I cleaned off the chassie and temp welder my new floor pans on so I could text fit and make sure things bolt up properly. I can't get the tunnel part sanded blasted for awhile so thought this would be best to keep moving forward.

Jamlit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: 68 Beetle start Reply with quote

I now have bought several patch panels and started trying to get everything lined up. I removed the pipes and hung the doors trying to get all the gaps right. This has proven to be some what difficult. I wish who ever took the body off braced it right the first time but that is not the case.

I am now looking for input on measurements and ideas to help get everything straight. None of the panels shown in the pictures have been welded on yet.

Jamlit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: 68 Beetle start Reply with quote

67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Beetle start Reply with quote

Looks like you have quite the project on your hands.

Suggested reading for ideas would be "Hood Fresh 62 Euro Rag" by thekera.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636926&highlight=hood
He's doing similar work as your going to and is a pro at metal work. Truly brilliant stuff.

I like your anvil. Those go for big $$$ here in Oregon.

Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Jamlit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Beetle start Reply with quote

Yes it a project for sure. I am pretty good at the sheet metal but a little lost on the measurements as I don't have anything to go by. It is my first time working at this level on a bug.

I love sheet metal work and this project was something I was looking to do.
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Beetle start Reply with quote

That's a good bit of rust.

How much are you planning to spend on this? I ask because you should take into account the amount you will put into it and how much you can buy a good base one for (maybe even a 50's model). If you have the time that will be the large factor which sometimes makes it cheaper to do all the work yourself. 68's and up are fairly easy to find. 71's can be picked up for $1,000 to $2,000 without too much rust except on the pans.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jamlit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:11 am    Post subject: Re: 68 Beetle start Reply with quote

Well here in Nova Scotia Canada there isn't much available that isn't covered in rust. Bugs here are worth a fair bit here. I figure I will have a few thousand into it when it is done to what I want but it should be worth more. Not a bunch more but more none the less. For me it is the journey of building one. I find this work enjoyable and relaxing most of the time. Made a switch to management recently and wanted something to easy the mind.

I was hoping some people would chime in on some basic measurements for key areas that might be of help. I can figure most of it and and wing the rest as I have done in the past but if anyone wants to share some info, please do.
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Beetle start Reply with quote

It looks like fun. I'm sure someone has some measurements some where. Do you have another Beetle anywhere close to you? Maybe you can use it for measurements. You'll need to check the year is close enough though.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: