Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What redneck fixes have you done to prolong the scrapper?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
adam78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:55 pm    Post subject: What redneck fixes have you done to prolong the scrapper? Reply with quote

Hey all, I'm fighting a losing battle with my bug, but intend to drive it until it is literally impossible to drive anymore! I picked up the car for $800 and was told there was minimal rust except for the floor pan. When I picked it up, it looked worse than described, but took an $800 gamble, especially with a newly rebuilt engine. It wasn't until I got it home and really started digging under the carpet that I realised the previous owner had used some sort of wood screws and an after market pan! The body where the two meet is completely gone, and no auto body shop I take it to will touch it. Right now she has her front latch tied down with a belt because the latch broke, and i just etched away a bunch of rust with a file and am about to push a bunch of JB weld where there was once body. What kind of redneck fixes have you guys come up with? Yesterday I drove home with a vacuum plug made out of bubblegum! I'll post photos later lol
vwkirb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: What redneck fixes have you done to prolong the scrapper? Reply with quote

Sounds like you need to go down to harbor freight and buy a mig welder. Thats about as redneck as I would suggest.
Bama Dave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: What redneck fixes have you done to prolong the scrapper? Reply with quote

Well I am in Alabama, so I guess I am a redneck. My fix is not what you are expecting to hear. I totally disassembled mine and did a ground up restoration. They don't make them anymore, so the scrapper would just mean one less. If you are up for the challenge, fixing the car properly could be very rewarding. Might take years to do....mine has taken 2 years...so far. Still not done.

If you do not believe your car is safe to drive, or if you get tired of fiddling with it, selling it for parts would net you some return on your $800. I bet that someone near you needs your car parts to finish theirs.

Likewise, you may may find another car for parts to fix yours.

Best of luck.

1970 Beetle
1971 Super
1972 Baja

hellthorne wrote:
First off, I know i made stupid decisions that led to my predicament, so while you are welcome to tell me that I am an idiot for doing the things I did, please know that I am already aware of this.
Old n' slow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: What redneck fixes have you done to prolong the scrapper? Reply with quote

It wasn't a VW but my buddy had a 1960's Fiat 600 (weighed 1290 lb.) that was so rusted it sagged terribly in the center, couldn't keep the doors from flying open. We fiberglassed 2x4's underneath in the rocker panel area on two sides. Worked great and 2x4's don't rust Laughing

1964(sunroof)1967 & (2)1968 Beetles , 1968 Squareback , 1963 (23 window )Deluxe Sunroof Bus , 1969 Westphalia camper, 1974 Dasher , 1985 Vanagon , (2) 1981 Rabbit Diesels & a 1991 Jetta Diesel .
1965mt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: What redneck fixes have you done to prolong the scrapper? Reply with quote

My car came from Ohio. The PO used JB Weld to repair the front beam. My redneck fix was to replace the beam with a new one, properly painted of course. This also required all new ball joints and tie rod ends.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: What redneck fixes have you done to prolong the scrapper? Reply with quote

adam78 wrote:
Hey all, I'm fighting a losing battle with my bug, but intend to drive it until it is literally impossible to drive anymore! I picked up the car for $800 and was told there was minimal rust except for the floor pan. When I picked it up, it looked worse than described, but took an $800 gamble, especially with a newly rebuilt engine. It wasn't until I got it home and really started digging under the carpet that I realised the previous owner had used some sort of wood screws and an after market pan! The body where the two meet is completely gone, and no auto body shop I take it to will touch it. Right now she has her front latch tied down with a belt because the latch broke, and i just etched away a bunch of rust with a file and am about to push a bunch of JB weld where there was once body. What kind of redneck fixes have you guys come up with? Yesterday I drove home with a vacuum plug made out of bubblegum! I'll post photos later lol

Not to be a debbie downer but, if this bug is as bad as you're describing, it may not be safe to be driven down the road. Have you had it inspected by someone qualified to see if it's safe to be on the road w/out hurting you or others that share the road w/you?

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
itskyle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: What redneck fixes have you done to prolong the scrapper? Reply with quote

We've all seen...

The most recent footloose movie throttle cable snap replaced by drive by baling wire.

I did something similar with my 66.

Also, heard discouraging rust stories.

Now I have a 69 or 72 autostick. Looks like the rust is worse on this than the previous, but will work with it as possible.

A lot of credit is given to the guys and gals on the forum who tear down and do the complete restore rebuild. Those with money and time to do that, at least.

However, not enough credit is given to those of us who have not enough money and certainly not enough time but still go through valiant efforts to keep more VWs from the scrapper.

Kyle
74 SuperBeetle Auto Stick (I miss that car)
73 SquareBack, Straight Stick (Wife misses this one.)
adam78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: What redneck fixes have you done to prolong the scrapper? Reply with quote

For some reason, the site wont allow me to post from my phone. Despite me doing nothing but that for years. So i'll try to post from work. Here it goes!

It's safe enough, and I have driven worse cars. One SUV had the frame snap in half while driving one day. The bug's frame is pretty solid, and the running gear is okay, it's just the body is very rusty, and the front beam has a bit of rust on it, but I had that inspected and he said I have about another two or so years before it becomes dangerous. It's mostly me sitting at an angel because the floor is falling down and there isnt enough good metal to do a proper fix unless I start cutting and welding deep into the body. But I'll leave that for the next owner. She's a 1975 and, to me, isn't worth the money or time commitment.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The battery tray which isn't the worst i've seen, I may reinforce it because the metal is getting thin, but not yet gone. I was thinking some diamond plate or maybe an old street sign I have in the garage.

My latch broke and will no longer line up, even with a new one. I have it tied here, but I will be riveting the belt to the fenders and run it across much like the old Jaguars and a sweet 356 I saw at a car show a while back.

The running boards aren't exactly connected to the car anymore, it also has no heater channels at all.

The floor! It's technically not that bad itself, it's where the previous owner sometime down the road got what looks to be a newer pan, and screwed it into the body which caused both the floor and where the screws went into the body to rust. Now it separates from the pedals all the way to past the drivers seat. I threw some knockoff JB weld in the crack and jacked the floor up to meet the body, but I am going to be getting real JB weld (ordered on amazon) and will be filing down as much rust as I can to find some okay metal. A hack job? You better believe it! But as a college student that has 4 cars and works part time, this is the kind of stuff that you have to half ass haha.
Bama Dave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: What redneck fixes have you done to prolong the scrapper? Reply with quote

Quote:
However, not enough credit is given to those of us who have not enough money and certainly not enough time but still go through valiant efforts to keep more VWs from the scrapper.

Well said.

1970 Beetle
1971 Super
1972 Baja

hellthorne wrote:
First off, I know i made stupid decisions that led to my predicament, so while you are welcome to tell me that I am an idiot for doing the things I did, please know that I am already aware of this.
zoobyshoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: What redneck fixes have you done to prolong the scrapper? Reply with quote

As for the belt hood closure thing: I have mine chained shut with a padlock. I removed the little circular plate you take off to access the shift rod, and I lead one end of the chain into the trunk through that hole. Inside, I found a drain hole or vent hole already there on the floor of the spare tire well, through which I put a bolt with nuts and washers to secure the chain. The other end of the chain comes out the hole and loops around the hood handle and padlocks to itself. This doesn't interfere with the spare at all, and it's a bit less ghetto than a belt.

The reason for this is that the whole lever and its mounting inside the glove box was torn away from the glove box by some PO. The result is the trunk doesn't lock. It latches, but anyone passing by could open it, and I keep a tool box and floor jack in there.
adam78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: What redneck fixes have you done to prolong the scrapper? Reply with quote

zoobyshoe wrote:
As for the belt hood closure thing: I have mine chained shut with a padlock. I removed the little circular plate you take off to access the shift rod, and I lead one end of the chain into the trunk through that hole. Inside, I found a drain hole or vent hole already there on the floor of the spare tire well, through which I put a bolt with nuts and washers to secure the chain. The other end of the chain comes out the hole and loops around the hood handle and padlocks to itself. This doesn't interfere with the spare at all, and it's a bit less ghetto than a belt.

The reason for this is that the whole lever and its mounting inside the glove box was torn away from the glove box by some PO. The result is the trunk doesn't lock. It latches, but anyone passing by could open it, and I keep a tool box and floor jack in there.

The belt there is just because the rivets that I bought were too short to fit the metal AND the belt, so now it's just tied. They make a strap closure for VW that is the same as the Porsche one here.

But I plan on doing something more in line with what old Jag's had, across the hood. Attaching the belt in front of the turn signals like this.

If it looks dumb or doesnt work, i'll just putty the drill the holes or something. After all, I did drag this thing out of a field haha. She's my rat rod, and I love her.
vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: What redneck fixes have you done to prolong the scrapper? Reply with quote

This wasn't really a long term fix, more of a limp it home kinda thing, but it was still pretty redneck nonetheless. So there we were, myself and 2 or 3 friends in the mid 90s, cruising around in my 73 Super when the gas pedal hit the floor with no response from the engine. Upon quick inspection I realized the throttle cable had broken, and I didn't have a spare and cell phones didn't really exist yet. I told everyone to give me their shoelaces, and the begrudgingly handed them over. I tied them together end to end and attached one end to the throttle arm on the carburetor, and ran it out the decklid vent. I looped the other end around the side view mirror. Much to everyone's surprise, I was able to get us all back home, pulling the shoestrings by hand to work the throttle.
1973 Superbeetle: 1st car, owned since age 12. Update thread --> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9919140#9919140
1967 Kombi: Owned since age 17, Dad's retirement project.
1966 Beetle: My new project. (SOLD) Build thread--> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678040
Old n' slow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: What redneck fixes have you done to prolong the scrapper? Reply with quote

Again not a long term fix but my friends VW ran out of gas and we had no money, but we did have a hand held propane torch. We wired it up over the carb and cracked open the valve and started it up on propane gas. It got us home a few miles,at about 10mph, on local Queens N.Y. city streets.

Don't ever think there aren't resourceful Redneck's in N.Y.C......well at least back in the 1960's there were a lot of us.

1964(sunroof)1967 & (2)1968 Beetles , 1968 Squareback , 1963 (23 window )Deluxe Sunroof Bus , 1969 Westphalia camper, 1974 Dasher , 1985 Vanagon , (2) 1981 Rabbit Diesels & a 1991 Jetta Diesel .
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: What redneck fixes have you done to prolong the scrapper? Reply with quote

1970 bug. Drivers side heater channel totally went, so I welded the door shut.
Climbed in and out of the window, which sounds hard, but gets easier with practice. The floor was falling away but still solidly connected to the pan, so the drivers seat tilted over and rested on the b pillar, so basically, the seat was holding up the floor.

if you take any OLD vw, and press it back into year round service, I think this will happen to them all in 3-5 years. This is kinda depressing to think about, but, it must not be a big deal to most. Most of them are fair weather only, so they don't care.

Yes, if you need to keep it alive then better learn to weld.

And why scrap it? just park it in somebody's backyard. That's how they survive long distances of time, by resting peacefully.
jinx758
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: What redneck fixes have you done to prolong the scrapper? Reply with quote

My first bug ... a metalic purple '72 S/B w/white interior and a Lite beer tap handle as a shift knob (it was 1986 & I was a senior in HS). Got me to the beach OK but after surfing it refused to start. I knew nuthin bout cars back then. Some guy stops by & offers help. Turns out the little tab on top of the rotor had broken off. Dang it. Well we found a soda can under the seat, used a pocket knife to get a strip of metal, & twisted it around the rotor with pliers. It fired rite up. Drove it home ... about 30 miles at 55 mph. As I got near the apt complex I heard it disintegrate. Pushed the clutch in & coasted into the parking space. Replaced the cap & rotor a few days later & it never missed a beat. Tough little cars they are ... ! ! !

Ever since this day I have carried some duct tape and bailin wire in all the vehicles I've owned.

I drove this car for well over 6 weeks while parking to where I could just pull forward cause I didn't know where reverse was. Army recruiter showed me. Valve adjustment ... what's that?

Thars sum rednik-humble pie I tell u what !

It's not unlike the same difference

You can't push a rope

VALVES (cold)
CARB (fully warmed engine)

SCRAPE ALL GROUNDS

My Craigslist rescued 100 footer :
1971 Standard Bug
1776cc dual port
034 distributor
38mm EGAS Carburetor
jinx758
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: What redneck fixes have you done to prolong the scrapper? Reply with quote

Tried to edit ... fail.

Purple bug started to pull to one side about 3 months later. Fought it for a while but none of my friends at that time knew much. Went out & passenger side tire was kissing the headlight bucket. Parked it & caught the bus for a while. As the flatbed hauled it away, the tow driver noticed the frame horn had severe rust ... coastal casualty. Good times in that one !

It's not unlike the same difference

You can't push a rope

VALVES (cold)
CARB (fully warmed engine)

SCRAPE ALL GROUNDS

My Craigslist rescued 100 footer :
1971 Standard Bug
1776cc dual port
034 distributor
38mm EGAS Carburetor
nickfancher1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: What redneck fixes have you done to prolong the scrapper? Reply with quote

Pull the engine and transmission, the door handles and the windows, the seats and the gas tank, the wheels and the tires, any other usable part that's still ok and call in a tow truck so they can drag it up onto it. Just cut your losses and either sell the parts you have or keep them for the next car.

Start saving money and pay yourself a car payment every month. Once you have the money, fly to Texas, Florida, New Mexico, or Arizona and pick up a really clean VW, bring a suitcase of necessary tools and drive the car back home.

I bought my 1970 VW Beetle a few years ago for $3,000. It's as clean as a whistle and literally has ZERO rust.
andrewvwclassic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:18 pm    Post subject: Re: What redneck fixes have you done to prolong the scrapper? Reply with quote

You thought it would be cool to buy a vintage car and learn how to tune on it a little. You could not afford an ell camino or find a decent pickup truck. You forked over 800 bux on a straight gamble and realized you got what you paid for. You do not know how to buy a vintage car so once again you got what you paid for. Not a complete loss someone got rid of a bug in bad condition and found someone that will probably wind up scrapping it so sais person lols themselves to sleep afterwords with a tiny grin. Cant lie happened to me a few times. Long story short should have saved for the el camino.
adam78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: What redneck fixes have you done to prolong the scrapper? Reply with quote

nickfancher1 wrote:
Pull the engine and transmission, the door handles and the windows, the seats and the gas tank, the wheels and the tires, any other usable part that's still ok and call in a tow truck so they can drag it up onto it. Just cut your losses and either sell the parts you have or keep them for the next car.

Start saving money and pay yourself a car payment every month. Once you have the money, fly to Texas, Florida, New Mexico, or Arizona and pick up a really clean VW, bring a suitcase of necessary tools and drive the car back home.

I bought my 1970 VW Beetle a few years ago for $3,000. It's as clean as a whistle and literally has ZERO rust.

That's what I need to do, mechanical stuff is easy. I need to find something with no rust, which is impossible in the north east. I had planned on going out to Cali to visit a few friends and take a bug back.
adam78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: What redneck fixes have you done to prolong the scrapper? Reply with quote

andrewvwclassic wrote:
You thought it would be cool to buy a vintage car and learn how to tune on it a little. You could not afford an ell camino or find a decent pickup truck. You forked over 800 bux on a straight gamble and realized you got what you paid for. You do not know how to buy a vintage car so once again you got what you paid for. Not a complete loss someone got rid of a bug in bad condition and found someone that will probably wind up scrapping it so sais person lols themselves to sleep afterwords with a tiny grin. Cant lie happened to me a few times. Long story short should have saved for the el camino.

Well, considering I own a 1964 Thunderbird, a 1972 Westy, a 75 bug, and an Abarth 500c, yes. I do know how to work on cars. I can get much better than an old truck or el camino, and the floor of this bug was solid at first look, until I realized it had been screwed into the body by the previous owner instead of welded, then bondoed over that. You have no idea what I can and cannot afford, this was gotten as a winter beater and turning into a rat rod. Since I know it's an $800 lost cause, I am fixing it in unique ways until it's dead. But thanks for your criticism on my techniques when none was asked for!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: