Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New ratio rockers and lifters
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
AirCooledClassics
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:30 pm    Post subject: New ratio rockers and lifters Reply with quote

I've just looked into the new ratio rockers and lifters from Concept 1 for the 36 hp performance game. the lifters are a nice option to solve the pushrod bending problem (although they have been available from Blackline racing for several years.) The ratio rockers apply to anyone building a small 36 engine not a Bonneville monster. They bolt on only a tiny ratio increase but they claim they fit under stock Valve covers. I don't know if that applies if your running a heftey cam. Its great to see someone bringing parts to the vintage speed market. I think the price is great to but i'm confused on the tiny ratio on the arms. What do you think!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJoq3MtsPmc

My National Dragster article
http://www.dragracecentral.com/DRCStory.asp?ID=231552
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pig-pen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: New ratio rockers and lifters Reply with quote

do you have a link?
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: New ratio rockers and lifters Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1880205
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gimmesomeshelter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: New ratio rockers and lifters Reply with quote

These look interesting!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Much less expensive than Speedwell rockers, you don't have to buy special valve covers, and you're less likely to run into valve spring binding issues. Combine this with a cam from WW (
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111109021OK) and a set of 911 style adjustment screws, and you'll be ready to go!

Cheers,

Paul

Richard Feynman
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: New ratio rockers and lifters Reply with quote

Ok if you are building an engine, but not for adding to a running engine since you have swap lifters ($229) and then buy cut to length pushrods

1.4 rockers from speedwell provide more performance and cost the same.

These lifters are $159 + $229 + pushrod cost.

1.15 isn't a big boost from 1.1...sorry
gimmesomeshelter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: New ratio rockers and lifters Reply with quote

I'm not sure I agree.

You'll need to switch to two piece lifters if you go to any ratio rocker setup.

The benefit of the 1.15 setup is that it's $200 less less expensive than the Speedwell rockers, you won't need aftermarket valve covers ($150), and you're very unlikely to have issues with coil binding, unlike the 1:1.4 rockers.

The downside of the 1.15's is obvious - they don't lift as high/won't flow as much.

BTW, the stock ratio is 1:1, not 1.1:1. Wink

Cheers,

Paul

Richard Feynman
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: New ratio rockers and lifters Reply with quote

Yes typo.

My point is that the speedwell rockers do NOT require two piece lifters/pushrods. Coil bind is not an issue with my Stage 2 cam.

I think these lifters are a great deal for a new build, but not for a running engine like the speedwell version.

I would not switch lifters on a broken in cam/lifter setup.

$390 for these (lifters + rocker arms)

$395 for speedwell, which also includes new shafts. Of course, finding Speedwell parts is a pain
pig-pen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:06 am    Post subject: Re: New ratio rockers and lifters Reply with quote

ok, so I already have the speedwells... and I need new lifters anyway... so is it worth me buying these new lifters? I was only going to use my original cam, although I have a blank one I might do my own grind with. One day. When I pull my finger out of my .....
pineapple_express
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: New ratio rockers and lifters Reply with quote

quick question on the 1.4 Speedwell rockers, lash caps are not necessary correct?
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: New ratio rockers and lifters Reply with quote

Correct
RichardinNZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:23 am    Post subject: Re: New ratio rockers and lifters Reply with quote

Looking for ratio rockers for my dual carb 36hp. Looks like these new rockers aren't suitable given the comments above (is it is a built engine) but does anyone know who may have some Speedwell 1.25s in Stock?

Many thanks
Richard
My Car https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=1750253
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Robert Chambers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: New ratio rockers and lifters Reply with quote

Richard,
I saw some for sale on eBay from kokoparts. I think they are the new style mentioned on this Forum? Good luck! Very Happy
'63 OG 117
RichardinNZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: New ratio rockers and lifters Reply with quote

Sorted. Thanks to a tip off from TX oval I have some 1.4s.

Won't get them until late July and then fit them late August....
My Car https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=1750253
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mr.Ragtop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: New ratio rockers and lifters Reply with quote

Anyone running these rockers yet with a WW cam? Looking at doing this but not sure if I’ll clear the piston as I’m shooting for about 9:1 on my build.
PeteSC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:14 am    Post subject: Re: New ratio rockers and lifters Reply with quote

I'm using them on my 1397 build (that is if we're talking about the AA Performance 1.15:1 rockers) that has a WW hi-po cam. Engine has been run for break in only, so I don't have any real feedback on them yet, other than that the break-in went well. It'll be about a month before the engine is in the car and driving.

Link
Huntd105
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: New ratio rockers and lifters Reply with quote

Has anyone got advice on these rockers . Ive bought some for my already built 30hp motor what exactly am i needing to do before i can run them.

Im still all fairly new to all of this you see any help would be great
gimmesomeshelter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: New ratio rockers and lifters Reply with quote

Make sure you're valve springs aren't binding and check your valve geometry. If it's too far off, you may of to use two piece lifters (https://aapistons.com/products/vw-36hp-2-piece-lifters-type-1-4-porsche-356-912-914-8pcs).

Cheers,

Paul

Richard Feynman
Huntd105
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:44 pm    Post subject: Re: New ratio rockers and lifters Reply with quote

I will look for thst . I imagine it Will only be a small difference from the standard rockers? .
PEPPE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: New ratio rockers and lifters Reply with quote

hallo, i am using this lifters with stock cam and stock pushrod setup. how much is the risk in using them without special pushrods?
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: New ratio rockers and lifters Reply with quote

No risk
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: