Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

ecotec starts and stalls
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
fourdayoff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:57 am    Post subject: ecotec starts and stalls Reply with quote

went to start my manx project ecotec 2.2 vvt, 2009, purchased complete ecm and harness from alphaphab engine starts but stalls right away only code i get is po650 until i stab the throttle quickly before it stalls then i get p0300. Either code seems revelant to this problem. Unable to get a reply from alpha, any ideas? would prefer not shipping back and forth to alpha, hate paying shipping again when its their problem. Embarassed
jhoefer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

p0650 is "malfunctioning check engine light". Do you have one hooked up?

p0300 is "random cylinder misfire". Could be any number of things. I'd start with inspecting the spark plugs, then checking for vacuum leaks. Then check your fuel pressure and for a clogged fuel filter. Could also be a low/bad battery. Or bad fuel. Could be a bad ignition module if it's shared between 2 or more cylinders.
fourdayoff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jhoefer, thank you for the reply, the only time it will set a po300 is when I force it to run by stabbing the throttle. other wise only po650 sets. All of your suggestions have been covered along with compression test. When I Stab the throttle it goes nuts probably setting the po300. Again thank you.
fourdayoff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jhoefer, there is no provision for a check engine light, circuit is open no brn/wht wire in harness from alpha, I'm sure I could add one, could this cause the start then stall condition? I'm not sure.
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someplace there's probably a relay for the fuel pump, check to see that it is working. Sounds maybe like the pump is priming, but then not running continuously afterwards. Just an idea.

Try to find out if the shutdown is from lack of fuel or lack of spark, or both?

Hope this can help. Of course, find the spark issue first, pull the plugs to see which one has an issue, then check or change everything, wire, caps, and spark plug. Brand new stuff not working right is rife nowadays...
kamesama980
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my older toyotas with a flapper AFM, they'd start fine then shut down again like they keyed off after about a second. Reason is startup is done on a map, when it goes to normal running, no airflow signal=no fuel. a '09 GM ought to have redundant MAF and MAP though.

How's the shutdown? like it keys off or rough?

Keep in mind an 09 probably has some CANbus communication with other modules. Have you checked on forums for the doner vehicle to see what the ECM might also what to be present to keep running?
1994 Pontiac Firebird
2001 BMW R1200C
2003 Subaru Baja
fourdayoff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

980, shuts down rough, just got off phone with alpha, they claim to have a batch of harnesses that are pinned wrong, I'll update, thanks
kamesama980
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fourdayoff wrote:
980, shuts down rough, just got off phone with alpha, they claim to have a batch of harnesses that are pinned wrong, I'll update, thanks

Hopefully that's all it is. At least the noticed and are 'fessing up and taking care of the customers.
1994 Pontiac Firebird
2001 BMW R1200C
2003 Subaru Baja
fourdayoff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

980, turns out harness pins are okay. Alpha is sending different ecm may be programmed wrong, I'll update
StevieC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you get this squared away?
I'm about to order a complete motor setup from Alpha Fab and I don't want any surprises
Thanks
fourdayoff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:57 pm    Post subject: starts and stalls Reply with quote

StevieC, Glad to let you know about Alphafab. The facts, after a Three way call to verify the harness pins were correct for the system with the sub contractor for the harness it was determined that something was missed in the programming of the ECM. Shaun stated he was responsible and he would send out another one that day and I would receive in two to three days. After 7 days I began to call and email, 4 calls and 3 emails, total silence, after 2 weeks I started to worry I had lost 1400.00. the parts were worthless in this state. I contacted my credit card company to ask what I could do, They asked me if I had tried to contact them and I told them 7 times with no response. They stated they would charge back Alpha's bank that day no problem, I told them I would try one more time to get a response before going forward with that. I called and left a message and a email letting them know what I was going to do. Within 20 minuets I got an email back from Shaun, a smart aleck remark about how could I do that. Same time I got a call from Steve very apologetic about what was going on and that he had no idea this was happening. Both had excuses. In my opinion they were to busy to take care of their problems first. received another ECM 2 days later. Now engine starts and runs but when you rev it a little bit it starts to miss returning to an idle and sets a po102 the maf is not being used so I'm not sure now. Would be nice to get a follow up call to see if all is well but pretty sure that won't happen. So I will leave the decision up to you, Good Luck. If they would have told me it would be another 2 to 3 weeks I would have lived with that.
StevieC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info
did you buy the complete motor package from them?
fourdayoff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: ecotec starts and stalls Reply with quote

Wanted to update, project Manx A arm ecotec is finished. ecotec starts and idles fine but at part throttle it feels very lean and never seems to get enough fuel to run right, hiccups etc. Used a motis scanner and can see a very lean condition. I have never heard back from Alpha Phab to check on if the second ecm from them works as they advertise, turn key. Today I trailered the car to Dyno Jet in Las Vegas, they are going to reprogram the ecm, its way off, then set it up on the Dyno next week. All sensors are Ok. I'm looking forward to the car running right. I thought Shawn at alpha sold a turn key system, I don't look forward to spending more money to have tuned properly, Wish I had sourced a different company. Very disappointed. I'll let you know how much it costs to fix so you can add that to Alpha Phab cost
spize909
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: ecotec starts and stalls Reply with quote

That's good to know.
They are the first one to pop onto Glamisdunes when someone mentions converting to an ecotec.
Sucks to be treated that way.
StevieC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: ecotec starts and stalls Reply with quote

What pump/regulator are you running if you don't mind?
This has been going on for a while
In that amount of time I bought a package from AFI, refabbed the whole car, had numerous problems with them not returning calls/emails and after a long delay have my car running great
I can't believe you are still dealing with this

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
jdcool4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:38 pm    Post subject: Re: ecotec starts and stalls Reply with quote

I did a ecotec swap.I did the tune ,wireing and everything my self i may be able to help. This is the fuel pump and regulator i run keeps 58psi http://www.speedwaymotors.com/LS1-Fuel-Filter-Regulator-Pump-Kit,103299.html
fourdayoff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:53 am    Post subject: Re: ecotec starts and stalls Reply with quote

StevieC, I'm running a walbro GSL392 with a high pressure regulator set at 58 psi, I fabricated a fuel sump tank below the stock tank and ran stainless lines, A/N fittings, hard lines in tunnel. I will let you know when I get it tuned properly. Sounds like you had the same issues with them not returning calls. I got their attention when I talked with my credit card company, They were going to take the money back that day. Got a reply within 20 minuets, 2nd ecm is junk also, looking forward to Dyno Jet tuning properly. I will try and get around to posting pics as soon as I can.
fourdayoff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: ecotec starts and stalls Reply with quote

Map sensor issue, update on work with Dyno Jet, have had allot going on so now getting back to sorting out the problem. Car runs but very low on power at anything above 1/4 throttle it goes very lean 30-50.1 AFR. After installing a Power commander 5 and a wide band 2 from DJ we see that our baro reading is 78-80 engine off, here at 2500' should be 100-101 there abouts. Started out by running pin tests at the MAP sensor, found sensor readings GRN wire as follows, KOEO 3.4 volts 0 vacumm, 2.8 5", 2.3 10", 1.6 15", 1.0 20". Found those readings to be weird have good 5.0 volt reference. on to the ground, using dvom have found with key OFF have 12.5 volts, turn key on the voltage DROPS to 8.7. This seams to coincide with the low sensor readings, good test with key off rules out wiring. Have sent a email to Alpha fab and waiting for a response, Wish me luck and I'll keep you posted. In the mean time any feed back would be great, Thanks, Jim.

Last edited by fourdayoff on Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:53 am; edited 1 time in total
fourdayoff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: ecotec starts and stalls Reply with quote

Well two days have gone by now and no word from Alpha fab, a taste of their costumer service!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: ecotec starts and stalls Reply with quote

I also purchased a ECM and harness from AFI and I am having issues with my 02 sensor and left numerous messages and emails to them and have not received any responses. They do not have very good customer service.

William
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: