Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Water in valve cover
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
eyeN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:44 am    Post subject: Water in valve cover Reply with quote

I've started trying to bring back my '69 auto-stick from a 10-year hibernation. Before it went to sleep, it was shy of 10,000 miles on a rebuilt 1500 long block of proper vintage (H5).

It was mostly garaged, but there were a few weeks it spent outside. The deck lid doesn't lock and some knucklehead pulled the air cleaner off the carb. It rained pretty hard during that time and I'm worried that rain might have gone down the throat, especially because I have deck lid stand-offs. I found a live oak leaf sitting on top of the butterfly valve, which made me shudder. So before I did anything, I pulled the carb off and blew it out with carb cleaner and compressed air. I unscrewed the plug on the bowl and took out the jet to check for any crud, but everything looked good. I looked in the throat to the engine and didn't see anything scary. I don't (yet) have a carb kit, so I haven't rebuilt it. It's something I've never done and wanted to start on the basics first, anyway.

I knew that the gas was bad, so I drained the tank from the line that exits the tube before it enters the engine bay and put in a couple gallons of 92 octane, plus a glug of STP.

The battery could not be revived with an external charger, so I picked up a new one.

When it last gave out, the solenoid was stuck and no amount of hammer tapping was going to free it. The starter was in bad shape anyway, so instead of rebuilding it, I bought a rebuilt bosch and installed it. The ignition switch is dodgy, but I did get it turning over (very well). However, it would not start.

I pulled the gas line off of the carb and cranked the engine over with a wrench on the generator. Good amounts of good smelling gasoline came out.

I pulled the spark plug from cylinder 1 and again cranked the engine over with the wrench, which gave me a nice blue spark against an engine bolt.

Having tacked those, I moved on to the valves. The right side looked good, with #2 intake only being slightly loose (tightened to .006"), but the gasket was in good shape and the oil there didn't look bad. The left side was a heart-breaker. As soon as I pulled the cover, water came splashing out. It smelled a little of gasoline, but it was mostly water. I'm not sure how much fell on the ground, but I easily caught a couple table spoons in the cover and there was more sitting inside the case. There was some rust on the inside of the cover, too.

So, my question is: what next? I don't have a lot of experience doing anything other than tune-up stuff. How can I go about getting the water out of the crank case? What should I do after that? (about the water damage, specifically)

I still plan on adjusting points, timing, changing the oil, doing a compression check, checking the plugs, and adjusting brakes, but clearly this is a do not pass go, do not collect $200 dollars situation.

Thanks,
ian
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Water in valve cover Reply with quote

is the raidiator still full?? change oil, spin with no sparking plugs installed, with some light oil in the cylinders.(or foging oil) then start it up .
DeathTrap
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Water in valve cover Reply with quote

So change the oil. Unless a gallon of water comes out,
start it and drive it.
or
sue somebody
or
total it with the insurance co $350

don't forget to adjust the brakes
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Water in valve cover Reply with quote

Have you tried to rotate the engine? Usually, if water goes down the intake, the rings in at least one cylinder will get rusty and stick inside the cylinder causing the engine to get stuck.

If the engine rotates, change the oil and crank the engine with the spark plugs out until the oil pressure light goes out. A squirt of oil into each cylinder before you rotate the engine wouldn't be a bad idea either.

Then install the plugs and start it up.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
eyeN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Water in valve cover Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone for the good advice!

After changing the oil and draining some more water, I sprayed some fogging oil into the cylinders (nice idea, Mark!) and cranked by hand. Then I disconnected the coil, cranked with the starter for a few seconds, put in new plugs and wires, finished the valves on the left side, reconnected the coil, and she fired up! After I burned off all that fogging oil, I drove it around the block (who needs brakes?) for good a reassuring test drive.

I was scared to see all that water, but it turned out not to be the end of the world. Smile Now, I'll finish this tune-up and move on to the fun stuff.

Cheers,
ian
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: