Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Massive Oil Leak
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
JlaneVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:32 am    Post subject: Massive Oil Leak Reply with quote

Edit: Check bottom of page for new pictures of the problem.

Finally got my bug back on the road after a large overhaul, no leaks while it was in the shop at all.

Drove it around for my 20 minutes and saw a leak had started.

My guess is Rear engine seal, am I wrong?

Also noticed the top left(Behind the doghouse/oil cooler) engine bolt is now missing- Looks like I didn't tighten it enough.

Would a new bolt seal it or is the seal blown? See picture for the leak.

Also the oil appeared to be more watery than normal, any ideas?

It is a 1600 CC engine in a 1968 bug

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by JlaneVW on Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Derek Cobb
Annoying

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Massive Oil Leak Reply with quote

That engine bolt wouldn't have any effect on the *front* main seal. I would suspect the oil cooler seals before the main seal, but I also wouldn't hesitate to replace both. Either repair requires the engine to come out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Massive Oil Leak Reply with quote

Your flywheel seal has nothing to do with that missing engine bolt.

Get another bolt, however and tighten to 22 ft. lbs. I can't imagine how it went missing, though. Are you sure it was actually installed?

You'll have to remove the engine toreplace the flywheel seal. Using a flywheel-seal installer is easier for me. I have a way of ruining those seals. I guess I'm not very good with a hammer and block of wood.

While you have the engine out, check the oil-cooler seals.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
JlaneVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Massive Oil Leak Reply with quote

Ok time for an update to see if I can get some help.

Pulled the engine to see if I could find the leak. Below the main seal there did not appear to be much oil at all, a little from the removal of the engine but not much.

Filled it with oil while not in the car, let sit for a week. Not a single drop of oil anywhere on my floor. So it can't be a gravity leak.

Continued removing all parts, my other idea was the oil cooler, once again no apparent oil leak at all.

The apparent oil leak looks to be near cylinder 1, the passenger side front. Oil was coated in front(towards the front of the vehicle) of the cylinder all the way down to the push rod tubes which I just recently replaced. Checked the torque on all the m12 bolts, those were fine. The m8 nuts in that area were a bit under torqued. Retorqued those.

Before I replace all the seals and put this back in the car. Does anyone have any ideas? It does not appear to me to be a main engine seal leak or oil cooler leak.

Summer is getting close to being over up here in Alaska and we want to drive this baby.

Please help me.
JlaneVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Massive Oil Leak Reply with quote

Figured a picture might help.

I have cleaned up all the oil but the area circled in orange was coated with oil. The arrow shows the m8 nut that I re-torqued

Everywhere outside of the orange was still fairly clean. Was really just in that area.

Any ideas?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
eashc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Massive Oil Leak Reply with quote

double check to make sure its not transaxle fluid. Mine looked similar, but i did have 2 bad boots and it made a mess like that.
JlaneVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Massive Oil Leak Reply with quote

eashc wrote:
double check to make sure its not transaxle fluid. Mine looked similar, but i did have 2 bad boots and it made a mess like that.

Not to sound like a moron, but new to the VW world.

when the leak happened, we did make it back home, and when I checked the oil it was incredibly low. So I assume it would be that, but on that note.

How do I check the transaxle fluid?
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Massive Oil Leak Reply with quote

get a Bently (orange) it will reveal all.
JlaneVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Massive Oil Leak Reply with quote

calvinater wrote:
get a Bently (orange) it will reveal all.

assuming you mean the manual, which I have. Just can't figure out where oil would be leaking from there.
HRVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Massive Oil Leak Reply with quote

Smile Good and Bad news.

Good is that the trans uses 90wt grease and gravity will go towards the ground and NOT upwards to the top of the engine case. That would be a new one.

Bad is a possible CRACK.

Cases have been known to crack/leak under the rabbit ears for the oil cooler.....behind #3 bell housing under the flywheel.....at the oil sender hole....on top of the case above #1 cyl going to the top stud shown in your picture. Best way to find the leak is to fire up the engine on the floor and rev the engine RPM and your leak will show. I did that on many engines when in business. You need the bell housing from a trans core to hold the starter in place. (still have mine today)

I was a engine builder in VTA CA for 17 yrs and have seen them all.
eashc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: Massive Oil Leak Reply with quote

JlaneVW wrote:
eashc wrote:

when the leak happened, we did make it back home, and when I checked the oil it was incredibly low. So I assume it would be that, but on that note.

The reason i mentioned the transaxle leak was i like looking at pictures. When i had my leak from the boots, it looked a lot like your picture does, it leaked and ran on to the motor as i drove.
To check fluid you need a big allen wrench to remove a plug on the driver side
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Massive Oil Leak Reply with quote

Trans oil has a really distinct smell to it; if your leak is trans oil you will know for sure just by smelling the oil - you won't be able to get that stink out of your nose for a while.
JlaneVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Massive Oil Leak Reply with quote

eashc wrote:
JlaneVW wrote:
eashc wrote:

The reason i mentioned the transaxle leak was i like looking at pictures. When i had my leak from the boots, it looked a lot like your picture does, it leaked and ran on to the motor as i drove.
To check fluid you need a big allen wrench to remove a plug on the driver side

Ill check it this week, just to be sure.
Chochobeef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Massive Oil Leak Reply with quote

If you have a harbor freight near you, go pick up there set of Metric Allen Head sockets. It goes from 6 to 17mm (the others will come in handy as well) and the 17 is what you use on the bolt-plug on the side of the transmission. Make sure to clean out the inside of it well so that you get the socket seated all the way in.

Once you get that plug out, you can shine a flashlight in to see if you see fluid, or stick your finger in the hole. Fluid should be pretty much right to the bottom edge of the hole (and yes it will smell nasty so wear a glove and mask).

Get some more pictures if you can. Quick tip, get some of the little metal wire brushes (also sold at HarborFreight (no I'm not affiliated with them)). They are nice for scraping away nasty grime in hard to reach areas.
JlaneVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:15 am    Post subject: Re: Massive Oil Leak Reply with quote

HRVW wrote:
Smile Good and Bad news.

Good is that the trans uses 90wt grease and gravity will go towards the ground and NOT upwards to the top of the engine case. That would be a new one.

Bad is a possible CRACK.

Cases have been known to crack/leak under the rabbit ears for the oil cooler.....behind #3 bell housing under the flywheel.....at the oil sender hole....on top of the case above #1 cyl going to the top stud shown in your picture. Best way to find the leak is to fire up the engine on the floor and rev the engine RPM and your leak will show. I did that on many engines when in business. You need the bell housing from a trans core to hold the starter in place. (still have mine today)

I was a engine builder in VTA CA for 17 yrs and have seen them all.

Any other way to test this? I have no way of starting it without it being in the car.

Could I install it in the car without the fan shroud in place and test it that way(it gets in the way of being able to see anything)? Or would it overheat way to fast?

I am replacing all the seals this week and want to get this thing running this weekend.

Any help is appreciated.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:25 am    Post subject: Re: Massive Oil Leak Reply with quote

I can start my 1600 using a ratchet on the alternator. I have never thought to try doing it out of the car. For some strange reason I have never been able to push start my VW but I can give it a good tug at the alternator and I can start it that way.
FeelthySanchez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Massive Oil Leak Reply with quote

Re: possible CRACK, & any other way to test this?
I have no way of starting it without it being in the car.

Clean the area, visually inspect & perhaps spray it w/ developer only:
http://www.nationalboard.org/index.aspx?pageID=164&ID=374
Enough clue..Whats that mean?
OldIronSpine wrote:
I'm not sure how compression works.
Turbos don't produce torque, they produce HP. Instead of torque.
The real problem with NA engines is you don't hear the nice whine of the turbo as it spools up.
Before I commit, I'm going to do more research because I don't really know what piston rings are.

Last edited by FeelthySanchez on Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HRVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Massive Oil Leak Reply with quote

:)Very simple to test for a crack in the engine compartment.

Remove the coil and wires to one side...same with the Carb.

Remove the Gen and fan housing as a unit.

Replace the Carb on the intake manifold while the coil is off to the side making sure that the + wires are clear of touching any metal.

You can start the engine w/o the fan belt or Gen running.

Rev the engine for a few secs and as the engine gets warm and/or oil pressure increases internally the engine expanding at the crack will be noticeable and the oil seapege obvious.

I have seen oil come up from between the case halves on my own personal bus engine one time that drove me nuts until I pulled it out on to the floor...removed the top as I described and saw the oil leak.

Crankcase pressure will be the source......been there.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: