Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 257, 258, 259 ... 420, 421, 422  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

jays58s wrote:

That 66 bug for $27,000 isn't priced too ridiculously high to you? No offense, but it's a 66, they're a dime a dozen. There isn't anything rare about a 66, especially that one, period.

IDK, I've restored a few VW's myself. All my labor. My 69 vert, I did all the body work and rust removal on the body. I rebuilt the engine myself. The trans check ok. All new everything else, suspension, brakes, tires, interior, top (that I installed, NIGHTMARE), etc.. I have over $25k in that car. I don't expect to get that if i sold it though it's not for sale.

I guess my point is VW's are only original once. Rust free, original cars (well, what's left of original on his) needing nothing to be driven across the country like a new one can demand high values. I agree, 66's are not rare like most of the mid-to late 60's bugs with almost a million 69's being made.

If you do the math on what it'd take to make a rust free 66 bug that's worn out to like new again you would pay more than $30k, easy. The cost of engine overhauls, GOOD paint and body work, interior work, etc..

I get it. These cars are still around in high numbers. However, the ones that are not all hacked up, rusted out or beat to death are demanding higher dollars these days. Does it mean they are worth it? It depends on what the market brings. Some people would rather pay TOP dollar for a very nice, original VW that they can enjoy RIGHT NOW, than to go through all the hassle of restoring it over a long period to the same standard. The costs of engine/transmission rebuilds, paint jobs and interior work are getting higher and higher. I can still be stuck in 80's pricing or paint jobs, VW parts, etc.. The sad truth is it's expensive these days to restore any car.

Late 70's bay window campers in good non rusted, original condition are fetching $12-20k. Most of those still need work. One guy restored his late 70's camper bus to a high standard. It's in like new condition. He's turned down high $50k offers for it. Some people think that's insane.

In my mind, there's a lot of shit to worry about or get frustrated with these days. People selling things for prices higher than market value, shouldn't be one of them. It's been that way forever. Very Happy

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
Easy solution if you don't like someone's price....don't buy it. Essentially sounds like you're pissed because someone has what you want and won't sell it to you at the price you want? As mentioned some people just list cars/items for sale that they really don't care if they sell. I've done it. There's a price at which I'll part with some items. If someone wants it that's what it will take.

Pissed? No, I could care less. I'm not going to overpay for something just because I may want it. I also don't understand the point of listing something you "don't have to sell", it's pointless. I also don't buy the whole, "it doesn't get used, so I'll list it for some insane price to see if someone is dumb enough to pay it" bullshit. You're listing it for a reason, money. People with thought processes like yours is what ruins the hobby. All it takes is for one person to not do the proper research, see a pile of shit like the $27k 66, then all of a sudden they think their car is worth that, and it gets listed for that. The Samba must consist of people just like you, because 90% of the bugs on here are overpriced. Everyone on here must not care about the cars selling either, even though a huge portion of them continue to get relisted over and over, right?
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

Why is it pointless? As they say, everything has a price. Is my house for sale? Not really but if someone came along and offered me double what I payed for it last year I would sell it in a heartbeat. Is my bug for sale? Not really, but again if someone offered me enough money I'd part with it. I've also had items (non VW) that I didn't have to sell but listed them for what I thought were really high prices and got those prices. So I sold them as someone wanted them more than I did and paid what I was asking. It seems obvious that you want the items you discussed as you mentioned you have been trying to buy one of them for 6 years. Well apparently it's not worth to you what it is the seller. So he is keeping it. I get that. Again, seems simple enough that if you don't like the price find one cheaper. If you can't find one cheaper than maybe the market is higher than you thought. Supply and demand and all that.

For someone that's not pissed, you seem.... kinda pissed. 😂
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
Why is it pointless? As they say, everything has a price. Is my house for sale? Not really but if someone came along and offered me double what I payed for it last year I would sell it in a heartbeat. Is my bug for sale? Not really, but again if someone offered me enough money I'd part with it. I've also had items (non VW) that I didn't have to sell but listed them for what I thought were really high prices and got those prices. So I sold them as someone wanted them more than I did and paid what I was asking. It seems obvious that you want the items you discussed as you mentioned you have been trying to buy one of them for 6 years. Well apparently it's not worth to you what it is the seller. So he is keeping it. I get that. Again, seems simple enough that if you don't like the price find one cheaper. If you can't find one cheaper than maybe the market is higher than you thought. Supply and demand and all that.

For someone that's not pissed, you seem.... kinda pissed. 😂

I actually was pissed at the guy with the car that I've been trying to buy for over 6 years. I offered to pay his asking price and he backed out every single time. My point was that he doesn't actually want to sell the car, even at his asking price. The guy must enjoy the attention or something, because it looks nice, but has never sold. I have no problem paying good money for a car, but you know as well as I do that a lot of these cars will never sell for the asking prices, especially that green 66.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

jays58s wrote:
90% of the bugs on here are overpriced.

I'm guessing you really mean that 90% of the cars that have been for sale for a while (a month or more? 2 months or more?) are overpriced.
That is possible.
The cars that are priced fairly or even a little expensive will sell, sometimes quickly.

I figure I should post an example so I looked at today's ads.
This one seems fair
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1940258
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
jays58s wrote:
90% of the bugs on here are overpriced.

I'm guessing you really mean that 90% of the cars that have been for sale for a while (a month or more? 2 months or more?) are overpriced.
That is possible.
The cars that are priced fairly or even a little expensive will sell, sometimes quickly.

I figure I should post an example so I looked at today's ads.
This one seems fair
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1940258

There's a few that seem fair, there's some that look really nice, but a lot of the ones I looked at had huge hidden issues not shown in the pictures in the ads. I was exaggerating a bit on the 90%, but there's definitely a lot of overpriced cars, and a lot of cars that look good, but really aren't. There's also cars here that have also been listed on eBay that supposedly sold for big money, but were immediately relisted here. Seeing $27,000 bugs, $350,000 buses, I just think it's time to take a break from the hobby for me lol. For $27,000, I can buy a SS 396 Camaro, and for $350,000, I can buy a house. Lol
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

LOL, this is mental

Oil change kit - $20
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1940872
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Emeraldlion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1940748

Where do you even start with this one?
Bulliwinkle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1940726

'66 Velvet Green Riviera Camper
'72 Sierra Yellow Westy
'71 Chianti Red Westy ~Sold
'71 Pastel White Westy ~Sold
'61 Pearl White Sedan ~Sold

johnnypan wrote:
"John Muir was a hack mechanic who convinced thousands of people to attempt repairs they had no business attempting".
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

Ancient Mariner wrote:
Rolling Eyes http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1940726

This reminds me of a car I bought a long time ago that was fairly nice but looked like crap.
Brought it home, spray painted on the front lawn, sold it the next week for a profit.

My point is, the "Patina" here is hurting any sale, regardless of what is new or nice on the car.

Plus suicide doors... yuck
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
This reminds me of a car I bought a long time ago that was fairly nice but looked like crap.
Brought it home, spray painted on the front lawn, sold it the next week for a profit.

My point is, the "Patina" here is hurting any sale, regardless of what is new or nice on the car.

The suicide doors are not cool (mostly because they don't appear to fit that well and they shaved the handle.)

I had to comment on the rest of your post though... "A long time ago" I would have preferred a nicely painted car over a shot factory finish or early repaint. Nowadays, the the cars are much older, a lot more has been covered up, and things that have needed to be fixed for 20 years still have not been addressed on many cars for sale.

I look mostly for rust damage, accident damage, the condition of seals, and details indicating originality. I expect some issues in all those areas. I would pay more for a light patina factory paint job than the same car with a mid level paint job. If they really spent (or had the skills) to do the full tear-down high quality paint job I would expect to pay more, and that may temper my interest. Things are only original once. I like older restorations because the lack of reproduction parts means I see more pretty damn good original parts.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

EVfun wrote:
EverettB wrote:

The suicide doors are not cool (mostly because they don't appear to fit that well and they shaved the handle.)

I had to comment on the rest of your post though... "A long time ago" I would have preferred a nicely painted car over a shot factory finish or early repaint. Nowadays, the the cars are much older, a lot more has been covered up, and things that have needed to be fixed for 20 years still have not been addressed on many cars for sale.

I look mostly for rust damage, accident damage, the condition of seals, and details indicating originality. I expect some issues in all those areas. I would pay more for a light patina factory paint job than the same car with a mid level paint job. If they really spent (or had the skills) to do the full tear-down high quality paint job I would expect to pay more, and that may temper my interest. Things are only original once. I like older restorations because the lack of reproduction parts means I see more pretty damn good original parts.

I agree with you - I also would rather see something where I can easily determine the condition but if it looks like crap I'm not willing to pay top dollar for it.
Some Patina on original paint - Hell yes, sign me up!
Bulliwinkle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

What? Still no takers? Come on, surely someone wants to drive this around town. Shocked

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1878405

'66 Velvet Green Riviera Camper
'72 Sierra Yellow Westy
'71 Chianti Red Westy ~Sold
'71 Pastel White Westy ~Sold
'61 Pearl White Sedan ~Sold

johnnypan wrote:
"John Muir was a hack mechanic who convinced thousands of people to attempt repairs they had no business attempting".
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
LOL, this is mental

Oil change kit - $20
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1940872

$26 when you add his standard $5 min shipping charge and the profit he makes above the paypal fee.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

Ancient Mariner wrote:
What? Still no takers? Come on, surely someone wants to drive this around town. Shocked

"The tread is good, but the tires are sun damaged and cracked. "
This has got to be the stupidest thing I've read this year!
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
Ancient Mariner wrote:

"The tread is good, but the tires are sun damaged and cracked. "
This has got to be the stupidest thing I've read this year!

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=656554&highlight=

Clearly you haven't seen this thread.. It has plenty of potential winning comments in it that will give that comment above a run for it's money Bruce.. Laughing

JimSP16
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

Very Happy I may have misspoken ...I am Simply asking if 45.00 bucks is a lot to pay for German new/used door handles for my 67 vdub any input?
JIM
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

JimSP16 wrote:
Very Happy I may have misspoken ...I am Simply asking if 45.00 bucks is a lot to pay for German new/used door handles for my 67 vdub any input?
JIM

No but make sure the guide pins are not broken or missing.

Clamback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

Hope it comes with the Pepto to match.
Embarassed
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1944691
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Beetles and parts for sale topic Reply with quote

Clamback wrote:
Hope it comes with the Pepto to match.
Embarassed
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1944691
Wow! Fully restored, except for the 1641cc Engine with Progressive Weber, Full Merge Exhaust With Hideaway Pan (?), Lowered Spindle (only one?), Centerline Wheels, Color-Custom Paint Job, and Fully Custom Interior. Rolling Eyes

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 257, 258, 259 ... 420, 421, 422  Next
Jump to:
Page 258 of 422

Jump to: