Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Velocity stacks and filter heights
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cliveawn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:06 am    Post subject: Re: Velocity stacks and filter heights Reply with quote

I love the sound actually but the wife and kids complain! Haha,im thinking of a central airbox to quieten it down just a touch.

Green 78 Westfalia Helsinki,

2056 with 41 x 34 valves,ported heads
Fully balanced
8,5:1CR
JPM Custom made cam
JPM 7075 dual taper pushrods
IDF 40's with 28mm venturi's
Python CSP 42mm exhaust.
115 HP

Daily driver 2017 Volvo V60 D5 hybrid
Rica stage 2 tune 345hp.

''Funny thing about common sense is that its not very common''

Seismic gun mechanic
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Velocity stacks and filter heights Reply with quote

Frankysfree wrote:
Is there a big disadvantage to only running filters without velocity stacks? When i got mine it had 40 IDF's with no stacks, only filters. I understand the reason to run the stacks just wondering if it will lose a significant amount of power or tq by not running them or will it be slight. Are there any dyno sheets to show the power difference?

I found this in a thread about velocity stacks on another forum. Might help you decide if a VS is better or worse. Basically a comparison of flow to a bare carb, but does not address my question of room above the VS.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[url][/url]
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Velocity stacks and filter heights Reply with quote

cliveawn wrote:
Interesting thread,do running stacks reduce induction roar?
My motor roars a bit and it does get annoying on long trips.
just make some covers for the carb's/air filters . I made rain covers for mine out of marine vynel about 1.5" biger than the airfilter and hangs down about 2-3" lower than the filter base. (with a slot for the linkage and velcro tabs to close it around the linkage. it quiets it down a lot. with no ill affects. the thick marine vynel is a little stiff so it dosent suck up to the filter. but I added a few tubes inside just incase(rolled vynel sowen virtlcy to keep the outer portion from sucken inward.2 per cover and they can also pull air through them.) those were very nicley done and looked great.....till one dissapeared Twisted Evil I then made some out of some other stuff that looked ok at forst but didnt hold up and were very soft vynel still no colapsing issues ,those were rectangle with a plastic basket inside the top so they held shape.I need to make some new ones some day. the dollar store has some baskets that are the perfect size for these oval aircleaners. it realy does quieten them down a lot. there soft and dont amplify the sound like a "bucket"put over the carbs would .

going back to the ops product.....K&N used to make plastic stacks to increase cfm of many carbs,they just slid down over the carb horn & it blended everything and took out turblance of all the crap,bump's, sharp edges, screws,linkage&such a lot of racers used them for spec carb classes and also sterry cars wantig a little more. and moroso made a aircleaner with the right shape to the bottom and the top with inverted cone shape that gently directed the incoming upward then gently redirected it downward into the carb, they increased the flow& hp .combine them and you have a nice performance gain. I wish K&N made them for these carbs. that would also make jet changes so fast& eazy without the steel stud strap in the middle....for those of us whoo have that style AC.
tattooed_pariah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Velocity stacks and filter heights Reply with quote

ps2375 wrote:

I found this in a thread about velocity stacks on another forum. Might help you decide if a VS is better or worse. Basically a comparison of flow to a bare carb, but does not address my question of room above the VS.

At an eyeball measurement, I think my stacks are closest to #9 here (these are what i bought.. http://vwparts.aircooled.net/OEM-Weber-IDF-Velocity-Stack-44-48-IDF-52845-014-p/52845.014.htm)

If I'm reading it right.. they increase airflow by 5.5%, which, and bear with me, i was never good at science (or school really).. means I would need less jetting because of increased airflow? or would 5.5% really not impact the jetting enough to make a difference?

"Never worry about stepping on people's toes. People who get their toes stepped on are either sitting down, or standing still on the job."
-Admiral Arleigh Burke, USN(ret.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Velocity stacks and filter heights Reply with quote

tattooed_pariah wrote:
If I'm reading it right.. they increase airflow by 5.5%, which, and bear with me, i was never good at science (or school really).. means I would need less jetting because of increased airflow? or would 5.5% really not impact the jetting enough to make a difference?

If your jetting is correct, the carb should compensate for the added flow, after all, that air is still going thru the carb and thus it is still "metered air", I suppose it would depend upon how much turbulence you had prior at the venturies that could disrupt the metering of fuel.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Velocity stacks and filter heights Reply with quote

flow wise, you need 1/2 the stack diameter room, from top of stack to filter top.

But you'll also have a 2nd reverse wave, bouncing off the filter top. There is already one from the top of the stack.

So the top there can change the jetting and power characteristics of the engine, AND change it's sound (sometimes a lot).

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Velocity stacks and filter heights Reply with quote

I had the powder coating done today and drove it some, sound seems to be a little throatier and might drive a little better, or it could all be my imagination.

mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Velocity stacks and filter heights Reply with quote

I hate to tell you but it looks like your wifes vega has been mounting your bug Shocked and distributing some spark to the bug........ Cool
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Velocity stacks and filter heights Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
I hate to tell you but it looks like your wifes vega has been mounting your bug Shocked and distributing some spark to the bug........ Cool

That change was made back when there still might have been a Vega or two still on the road... Shocked
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Velocity stacks and filter heights Reply with quote

Ive been tempted to do it for eaze of tunability(gm dist, not vega mounting my bug) instead I got the msd style dist that has the same innards.....but this 009 works so good, idles so smooth, never misses a lick.....the new distr&new box with rev limiter is sitten on the shelf for....many many years now. the gm is a good dist, just dont run more than about .040 plug gap or it will kill the coil in the cap.as will dead or dying plug wires. bosch platinums work well with them& .060 gaps work.(Ive changes somany dead gm coils it's skeery)
obieoberstar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2023 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Velocity stacks and filter heights Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
flow wise, you need 1/2 the stack diameter room, from top of stack to filter top.

But you'll also have a 2nd reverse wave, bouncing off the filter top. There is already one from the top of the stack.

So the top there can change the jetting and power characteristics of the engine, AND change it's sound (sometimes a lot).

Thank you for this post from years ago John.

I am starting to wrap my mind around reversion waves and the intake tract dynamics.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: