Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wideband reading dirrerences?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
saw2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:26 am    Post subject: Wideband reading dirrerences? Reply with quote

Just installed new engine want to start tuning with a AEM wideband. I have not used a wideband a lot, but have read wideband posting several times and think I have a good grasp on the procedure.

I now have a chrome 1 1/2 Tri-Mil header with muffler. I don't want to weld a 02 bung in and ruin the chrome finish. So I purchased a used Tri-Mil stinger section from Samba classifieds. It has a Super Trapp setup welded on the end
I have crudely welded a 02 bung for sensor.

My question is will the different exhaust flow am I going to get different afr readings and settings due to using the temporary stinger set up and then going back to the muffler setup for normal street use?

Also how is this for jetting starting out at sea level elevation. Here are engine specs.
Weber 40 IDFs. 32 venturi. F11 e tube
52 idles
135 mains
200 air
2180 cc
8.8:1 comp ratio
40×35 mild ported heads
CB 2242 cam
1:1 ratio rockers
AC.net SVDA Bosch 034 distributor
1 1/2 Tri-Mil header

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

miniman82
Samba Swamp Donkey

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Wideband reading dirrerences? Reply with quote

I doubt it, but you'll get more HP with a proper muffler than you will that supertrap. Think about the name for a second...

Glenn wrote:
satterley_sr wrote:

I just wanted to bitch but I'm getting no sympathy.

Welcome to the Samba.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Wideband reading dirrerences? Reply with quote

It could make a difference if it restricts flow to the the point the exhaust stroke fails to extract as much from the cylinder as with the normal setup. So then the next induction stroke might have a little less O2 getting in because of higher pressure in the cylinder so might indicate leaner.

But as a general tool it will work and you will learn a lot if you can manage to drive without constantly staring at the gauge while you are in the real world accelerating hard towards something slow moving in front.

My PLX devices AFR meter with sensor welded into my stainless exhaust has saved me the cost of rolling road tuneups and let me instantly spot that there is a problem with a carburettor jet or an air leak.

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
saw2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Wideband reading dirrerences? Reply with quote

I will only use the stinger with Supertrapp temporarily while wideband tuning. Then going back to the chrome muffler set up. Am just concerned if it would cause different afr readings between the two exaust end section styles

I never really thought about until now, but I could also cut off and replace with a small muffler of some type. Not concerned about looks as the stinger set up is only temporary. Or even just take off Supertrapp and go with straight stinger.

Going to try stinger with Supertrapp and then with Supertrapp plates and end removed to see if there are any differences in afr readings.
henk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Wideband reading dirrerences? Reply with quote

Can't really see it but can you not use something like this?
Then you can tune it with the muffler you gonna drive it and you don't have to weld.
http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Oxygen-Sensor-Adapter-Pipe-Small-3-Bolt-Flange-p/o2adapter.htm

Henk!!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: