Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help! I fell in love with a bug
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
justagirlandherbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:08 am    Post subject: Help! I fell in love with a bug Reply with quote

Bought a 1971 Super Beetle (vin is 1122016650) this is what the only bit of paperwork says with my bug (no other mechanical receipts)...

-1776 Engine
-90.5 mm cima pistons and cylinders
-camshaft (one step above stock)
-Case, welded #3 true full flow with filter
-HD oil pump
-Oil Sump
-Lightened flywheel
-Ported and Polished heads
-Stock Rockers
-New solid clutch disc
-Stock pressure plate
-Thunderbird header with muffler, stock heater boxes
-Weber Carb 44 IDF 71
-009 Distributor, New Points

I just added this in case you can see anything different in the photos as I've been looking up the 1776 scat engines and it doesn't look like it matches up to what I have (or if you can elaborate on any specs)

My bug isn't turning over and was a hard start when I got it whether warm or cold. Changed fuel filter/oil/cleaned air filter/new fuses... Ran great for a couple days.... And sanded cleaned and primered for fun.

Now Fuel isn't getting past fuel filter and fuel pump shakes so violently you can hear it as soon as you turn on the engine. It will sound like it's going to go but won't quite get over the hump and go. I also read that the 44 is a little too much for the 1776 and makes it run lean... Any advice or help or anything on this would be great, Thanks! They also said it's a 1971 Super Beetle, but I thought it was 74 and later with the exception of the convertibles but tire does lay flat in trunk.... dunno what i'm asking just wanted to make sure everything checks out. Oh, and I made sure after replacing the fuel filter everything was tight and there was no loose connections.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

[/img]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Joel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: Help! I fell in love with a bug Reply with quote

Its a 72 Super (big back window and 112 chassis number)

Its had an electric fuel pump fitted, where abouts is it mounted, it needs to be under the fuel tank at the front, if its at the back of the car that is probably why you are having problems.
VERTED71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: Help! I fell in love with a bug Reply with quote

[quote="justagirlandherbug"]

My bug isn't turning over and was a hard start when I got it whether warm or cold. Changed fuel filter/oil/cleaned air filter/new fuses... Ran great for a couple days.... And sanded cleaned and primered for fun.

Did the problem start right after you did the above? Why were the fuses changed? How long was the car sitting as the fuel may have gone bad and or sediment in the tank and now fuel lines.

Now Fuel isn't getting past fuel filter and fuel pump shakes so violently you can hear it as soon as you turn on the engine. It will sound like it's going to go but won't quite get over the hump and go. I also read that the 44 is a little too much for the 1776 and makes it run lean... Any advice or help or anything on this would be great, Thanks! They also said it's a 1971 Super Beetle, but I thought it was 74 and later with the exception of the convertibles but tire does lay flat in trunk.... dunno what i'm asking just wanted to make sure everything checks out. Oh, and I made sure after replacing the fuel filter everything was tight and there was no loose connections.

Check if the fuel pump is mounted correctly as it shouldn't shake or move at all. Is it flowing correctly (push or pull type)? Also get rid of that glass filter, its just trouble waiting to happen. Better location is next to the transmission tunnel (driver side rear).

Post your findings as you locate any more issues. Good luck!

71 Super Beetle Vert
15x4.5 Front
15x6.5 Rear
155/60R15 74T tires FRONT
205/65/15 tires REAR
1600 Dual Port
Progessive Carb
Electronic Ignition
Tri Mil "hotdog" exhaust
justagirlandherbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Help! I fell in love with a bug Reply with quote

Fuel pump is in the back left close to where firewall is coming up through hole then attached to glass filter. I was thinking about moving it anyway as my next step will probably be replacing the tubing and pump.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
justagirlandherbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Help! I fell in love with a bug Reply with quote

I'm also concerned about the wiring. There was a loose ground that i'm assuming was for the radio I pulled out that wasn't hooked to anything. It hit my ignition and zapped it. Replaced the fuses and all fine again, but how do I know where everything is supposed to go... Does anyone have a diagram?

Also there is a T connection on the braided fuel line and I don't know where the other piece goes it just hangs loose unconnected. :/ Could that be part of the issue?
Mr.Duncan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Help! I fell in love with a bug Reply with quote

I'm afraid that wiring is really... really modified.

I dont think a wire diagram would help.

They are located here: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiringt1.php

I would have to see it in person to trace the wires, and tag label them.

Red 1971 Squareback Thread
Red 1966 Beetle Thread
---------------------------------------------------
1971 Green Super Beetle (sold)
1966 Ghia (sold)
1971 Blue Super Beetle (sold)
1966 Java Green Std Beetle (sold)
1971 Red Squareback (sold)
1966 Red Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chochobeef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! I fell in love with a bug Reply with quote

Agreed with Mr. Duncan. That's some f'd up wiring. Definitely a hack job. Even with modifications, a stock wiring setup can handle adding on a few items like an electric fuel pump.

I'm afraid a re-wiring job is in your future. Those screw terminal blocks are nice for some things, but not a complete wiring job. Wish I could help more, but without being in front of it, its very difficult to discern circuits.

Its your project, you fell in love with it. Show it the love it needs.
broomhandle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! I fell in love with a bug Reply with quote

I agree with the guys from Texas. Rip out all that wiring and start new. So you know what it is... ground is a major key with any car....
johnnypan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: Help! I fell in love with a bug Reply with quote

Thats not one to fall in love with son...that one you nail then go home to sober up.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: Help! I fell in love with a bug Reply with quote

Oh boy. Unless my eyes aren't open- I see no metal support for that heavy ass carb other than the throttle cable. It's obviously stressing the left side intake boot- so much that the previous hacker put a new black boot on- and left the old red one on the right. You could have air leaks there that will make any adjustments you make to the carb, timing, fuel delivery, etc. moot.

Please, oh please read all the 1776 threads (in the engines forums) about the right blend of carb, spark and fuel. There's too much suspicious hackery going on.

There is plenty more to say about that engine, but I think the worst way to run an air cooled motor with no air control is to put a giant shroud of metal over it. I'd remove the deck lid and drive it open so there's some hope of the poor engine cooling itself.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Help! I fell in love with a bug Reply with quote

johnnypan wrote:
Thats not one to fall in love with son...that one you nail then go home to sober up.

Shocked

Well, I'm fairly certain OP is of the female (son?) variety, but from my experience with lost causes (vehicles and otherwise) it's always fun to have a beater thats fun to drive hard and park, sweaty, dirty, and used Twisted Evil

That bug is a bit hammered, but not unsaveable. Some time redoing the wiring, and a proper rear apron is in order on the priorities for sure. everyone gets a strange indescribeable lust for a car (or otherwise Laughing ) at some point and has to fool around for a while to find what they like, right? Very Happy

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
labraynard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Help! I fell in love with a bug Reply with quote

Agree with Lingwendil somewhat...get you a rear apron and read up on how these creatures cool themselves. Your decklid is from 68 to 69 vintage...
the 72 had 4 sets of vents in the hood to provide extra air to cool the 1600 dual port engine. Living in Oregon myself, it's not really practical to have no decklid...rain and all. You can clean up that wiring possibly without a new harness...I have seen worse.
By the way, looks better after the prime. Have fun with it, get some manuals...you can even check out "How to Keep your VW alive at the library...
You go girl...welcome to Samba by the way.
justagirlandherbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! I fell in love with a bug Reply with quote

Well I made her a little prettier for less than $150 and got the engine running better Smile
VERTED71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! I fell in love with a bug Reply with quote

justagirlandherbug wrote:

Well I made her a little prettier for less than $150 and got the engine running better Smile

Awesome sauce! Razz

71 Super Beetle Vert
15x4.5 Front
15x6.5 Rear
155/60R15 74T tires FRONT
205/65/15 tires REAR
1600 Dual Port
Progessive Carb
Electronic Ignition
Tri Mil "hotdog" exhaust
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: