Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Voltage drop with lights on
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ludsbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:19 pm    Post subject: Voltage drop with lights on Reply with quote

1971 1600 with generator. Without a load, no
Problem. Volt meter shows 13-14 volts while driving, but turn on the lights or turn signals and a voltage drop occurs. Drops below 12 volts and more. Any ideas
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Voltage drop with lights on Reply with quote

There are many threads about this. Clean all of your ground connections and other connections. corrosion on the old wiring causes resistance and voltage drops. You may have to clean and reterminate many connections. Look for posts from Ashman, he is THE Electro on the samba and has helped others with this issue countless times.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OLD VW NUT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Voltage drop with lights on Reply with quote

The body to engine/transaxle assembly ground strap would be first on my checklist of things to look for. Its right at the front of the transaxle. Bad grounds can cause voltage drops but so can the old hot side wiring if it has had to carry high amperage loads. The second place I'd check is the ignition switch - they carry high amperage loads when the headlights are on.

Other car - 2013 VW Golf TDI
ludsbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: Voltage drop with lights on Reply with quote

OLD VW NUT wrote:
The body to engine/transaxle assembly ground strap would be first on my checklist of things to look for. Its right at the front of the transaxle. Bad grounds can cause voltage drops but so can the old hot side wiring if it has had to carry high amperage loads. The second place I'd check is the ignition switch - they carry high amperage loads when the headlights are on.
Question as to ignition switch, my Bug is a '63 with a 12 volt system. Will the original 6 volt switch handle the conversion or should I change out the switch?
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Voltage drop with lights on Reply with quote

Hi. Good advice here. Where are you checking this voltage at? Since you seem to have a 6v-12v converted car, possibly where the new 12v voltage regulator is may have some shoddy wiring. On an early car as you have a very basic harness can be fabricated from the 12v gen, to the 12v regulator, and to the starter to assure the charging system voltage is getting to the battery.
Now if your checking this voltage up in the front of the car its quite possible to have other wiring issues. Duplicate your test with the voltmeter at the B+ on the regulator and maybe at the D+ on the regulator. I would verify some more voltage readings prior to throwing parts at your car. It is quite possible you may have a voltage regulator that cant put out sufficient voltage for the light demands.
Hope this helps, Bill.

Many times, I will perform a visual inspection on the related wiring, disconnect the regulator and perform a voltage field grounding test to assure the generator is capable of putting out more than battery voltage, and possibly try a new solid state voltage regulator.
ludsbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Voltage drop with lights on Reply with quote

rockerarm wrote:
Hi. Good advice here. Where are you checking this voltage at? Since you seem to have a 6v-12v converted car, possibly where the new 12v voltage regulator is may have some shoddy wiring. On an early car as you have a very basic harness can be fabricated from the 12v gen, to the 12v regulator, and to the starter to assure the charging system voltage is getting to the battery.
Now if your checking this voltage up in the front of the car its quite possible to have other wiring issues. Duplicate your test with the voltmeter at the B+ on the regulator and maybe at the D+ on the regulator. I would verify some more voltage readings prior to throwing parts at your car. It is quite possible you may have a voltage regulator that cant put out sufficient voltage for the light demands.
Hope this helps, Bill.

Many times, I will perform a visual inspection on the related wiring, disconnect the regulator and perform a voltage field grounding test to assure the generator is capable of putting out more than battery voltage, and possibly try a new solid state voltage regulator.
Thanks, measuring voltage via volt meter on dash. Fairly new regulator. Will take up your advice..,
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: